Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 10:55 AM

749 posts, read 856,998 times

Advertisements

Recently while talking to my mum over the phone (we live very far apart) she informed me in the middle of the conversation that my cousin's 20 years old daughter was staying at her house for a few days. Since I know my cousin and her family live some 300 miles away from my parents, I asked how come. She answered that she was in town for a few days because her boyfriend needed to take an exam there, so my cousin called my mum to ask her if it her boyfriend could stay at her house because he had that exam to take in town.
I was beyond appalled at the nerve my cousin had to just pick up her phone to invite a total stranger to stay at my parents house. The thing is that is a "multiple offender" for that matter. I'm sure she would do it for by example since she the really frontal type when it comes to express what she wants and doesn't want. It bothers me because I feel my mum is being taken advantage of.

Should I say something to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 11:04 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Nope.
If your mother did not want them there, she is the one to say something.

I would be happy to host a relative and their friend for a few days.
This really is none of your business.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,167,570 times
How do your parents feel about it? Did your mum sound like she was put out? Is it possible they'll actually enjoy the company of the two youngsters?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:08 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Is your mom senile or otherwise needing care? If not, mind your own business. It's a family member asking another family member for help. As I read it, your cousin is there also?

I don't know what multiple offender means. But if he is violent or a thief and your mom doesn't know, it might be wise to tell her.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:08 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Recently while talking to my mum over the phone (we live very far apart) she informed me in the middle of the conversation that my cousin's 20 years old daughter was staying at her house for a few days. Since I know my cousin and her family live some 300 miles away from my parents, I asked how come. She answered that she was in town for a few days because her boyfriend needed to take an exam there, so my cousin called my mum to ask her if it her boyfriend could stay at her house because he had that exam to take in town.
I was beyond appalled at the nerve my cousin had to just pick up her phone to invite a total stranger to stay at my parents house. The thing is that is a "multiple offender" for that matter. I'm sure she would do it for by example since she the really frontal type when it comes to express what she wants and doesn't want. It bothers me because I feel my mum is being taken advantage of.

Should I say something to her?

Oh, hell no. MYOB! Who elected you your mother's guardian? Does she even NEED a guardian? She probably enjoyed having some young people around for a few days. Or was she worried and edgy about it?

Now, if your cousin wanted to move IN with your grandmother as a permanent resident, that might need addressing if your mother is too timid to say no.

Meanwhile, stay out of it. Your mom had out-of-town visitors who happened to be family. Isn't that nice? End of story.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:19 AM

749 posts, read 856,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
How do your parents feel about it? Did your mum sound like she was put out? Is it possible they'll actually enjoy the company of the two youngsters?
Well my dad was annoyed about it.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Oh, hell no. MYOB! Who elected you your mother's guardian? Does she even NEED a guardian? She probably enjoyed having some young people around for a few days. Or was she worried and edgy about it?

Now, if your cousin wanted to move IN with your grandmother as a permanent resident, that might need addressing if your mother is too timid to say no.

Meanwhile, stay out of it. Your mom had out-of-town visitors who happened to be family. Isn't that nice? End of story.
I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Well my dad was annoyed about it.
Then it is husband & wife problem. They need to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships