Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemPhotos View Post
*Facepalm* - speaking of relevant info, I should've also added that my sibling and parent are in favor of the trip just being the 3 of us.......
When you got married, your spouse became your immediate family and is now your most important family member. Your parent and sibling sound like they are trying to wedge themselves between you and spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
So OP you have gotten loads of feedback. Any new thoughts or developments on your end?

Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
If I were in your shoes, OP, I would work on a compromise where you spend a couple of days in NYC with your mom and sister and then your wife joins you. The 4 of you spend a day together, the next day your mom and sis head home and you stay a few more days with the wife. Everybody wins: you get the alone time with your family-of-origin that you wanted. Bonds get strengthened between that family unit and your wife. You and your wife get to build memories in a location she has always wanted to visit. And you save on airfare by only having to pay for your ticket once.
This isn't a bad idea at all, actually...

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It's not weird. Keeping your own contact with your family of origin is healthy. I didn't go to my in-laws every time my husband did. Sometimes he'd take 1 or both of our kids over while I did something else. Sometimes I'd go over on my own too. And I saw my parents a lot on my own because they lived close by and H worked while I stayed home with the kids.

This is solely because everyone lived within 20 minutes of each other. It may play out slightly different if distance is a factor but you are married, not totally joined at the hip. You will realize that once you're older.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not weird. Keeping your own contact with your family of origin is healthy. I didn't go to my in-laws every time my husband did. Sometimes he'd take 1 or both of our kids over while I did something else. Sometimes I'd go over on my own too. And I saw my parents a lot on my own because they lived close by and H worked while I stayed home with the kids.

This is solely because everyone lived within 20 minutes of each other. It may play out slightly different if distance is a factor but you are married, not totally joined at the hip. You will realize that once you're older.
Not at all what the OP is talking about.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 AM

720 posts, read 766,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemPhotos View Post
My sole reason for that was that I thought going gender-neutral would be the best way to get unbiased responses.
Why would you think you'd get biased responses? If anything it calls attention to the fact you're doing that and poses a distraction IMO.

The question you post doesn't change regardless of whether you're in an opposite or same sex marriage, and one more thing...Congratulations on your marriage. You're a newlywed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships