Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:12 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,943,624 times

Advertisements

My roommate got laid off from his job a while back and so far he hasn't been able to find a new one. The region we live in is remote and mostly rural and the economic recovery hasn't found our town yet. I would like to give "Sam" a gift and I saw something that I know he'd really like. I'm dying to go buy it for him because he certainly has been a gift to me. The roommate I had before him was just awful and I'm so glad I got rid of him and rented out my spare room to Sam instead. Our relationship is completely platonic, BTW, and hanging out with him feels like hanging out with the brother I wished for but never had. I was thinking of buying myself my own gift - a CD from Amazon that I've really been longing for - wrapping it up along with Sam's and putting a "Merry Christmas from Santa" tag on each and setting them under the tree on Christmas morning. Or is that just too doofy? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
I think it's nice.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,610,348 times
I love it! You can disavow all knowledge of the gift when Santa is involved!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Wonderful idea!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:23 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,101,418 times
Since you're renting the room to him, make up a card that says something like "This coupon good for 3 months rent"

Give him peace of mind.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,321,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Since you're renting the room to him, make up a card that says something like "This coupon good for 3 months rent"

Give him peace of mind.
Now that is a great idea and gift!

OP, I have given many gifts to many people who could not or would not reciprocate. That's what gift giving should be all about anyways.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:41 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Now that is a great idea and gift!

OP, I have given many gifts to many people who could not or would not reciprocate. That's what gift giving should be all about anyways.
My exact thoughts, cannot rep you enough. OP your idea sounds fantastic, I wish I'd a friend like you. Reps to you as well

Old 12-09-2015, 12:42 PM

196 posts, read 175,520 times
I have done it lots of times. I don't care if I get something back and I don't care if it's a holiday. If I see something someone wants and I can get it for them, I usually do.

Just yesterday I bought something for someone I haven't spoken to in over a year because we got into a nasty argument. I'll mail it to her with a note saying, "Hey, couldn't walk past this and not pick it up for you. Hope all is well."

Do I expect a response or a thank you? No, I expect nothing but if she does anything other than send it back to me smashed to pieces I'll be pleased with my decision to make the purchase. Am I trying to rekindle the relationship? Nope. I just know she would really love this item and that's all that matters.

If you do give "Sam" a gift, I think that you would avoid making him feel guilty, thereby giving him a little piece of mind; if you also told him not to worry about the rent for at least a month, if not three as goodmockingbird suggested.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post

Give him peace of mind.
What a fabulous idea!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,794,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
My roommate got laid off from his job a while back and so far he hasn't been able to find a new one. The region we live in is remote and mostly rural and the economic recovery hasn't found our town yet. I would like to give "Sam" a gift and I saw something that I know he'd really like. I'm dying to go buy it for him because he certainly has been a gift to me. The roommate I had before him was just awful and I'm so glad I got rid of him and rented out my spare room to Sam instead. Our relationship is completely platonic, BTW, and hanging out with him feels like hanging out with the brother I wished for but never had. I was thinking of buying myself my own gift - a CD from Amazon that I've really been longing for - wrapping it up along with Sam's and putting a "Merry Christmas from Santa" tag on each and setting them under the tree on Christmas morning. Or is that just too doofy? Thoughts?

Well, it depends. He "Might" take this as a "Sign" that you "Might" be interested in making the relationship deeper...So beware of this...Otherwise do as you please. it is your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships