Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 PM

678 posts, read 698,785 times

Advertisements

Me and my mom argue all the time. I know why. She had a conversation with me saying she doesn't want to go back to arguing like we used to but sometimes she really annoys me. But she does things that she knows i will say something. I kinda feel like an ass but i have this fire in my gut the wants to yell and scream at her. Mainly because she Spanked me a lot when i was younger and i feel like the only way i can get back at her is if i Be sarcastic ( and slightly rude) with her because i know that pushes her buttons to the limit. Its PRETTY OBVIOUS that its my fault but I'm gonna ask the dumb question ANYWAYS. Is this my fault? In todays society kids can take their parents to court for harassment ( i don't think ill ever get pushed that far) in the past i guess thats why some parents don't beat their kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,265,997 times
I would say double fault. You know you can control your behavior but you do it anyway.

Parents shouldn't purposely antagonize their kids.

How old are you? Why don't you just distance yourself from your mom a bit?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I would say double fault. You know you can control your behavior but you do it anyway.

Parents shouldn't purposely antagonize their kids.

How old are you? Why don't you just distance yourself from your mom a bit?

Distance won't solve anything just enlarges the elephant in the room

Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Distance won't solve anything just enlarges the elephant in the room
No it doesn't. Are you an adult? Living on your own? If so, you can choose how and when to interact with your mother. If it means seeing less of her, so be it.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,778,311 times
If you're living at home and under 18 , learn to control your mouth & when you're 18- get out
If you're 18 and living at home, leave a.s.a.p. Get a job, go to school, etc, but just leave.
If you're over 18 & have already left then call & visit your mom as seldom as possible. Put boundaries up and keep them there.

What happened in the past , is in the past past. No, it wasn't right for your mom to spank you a lot . It's done with though, move on- get therapy for yourself if you can't move past it. Don't dwell on the past, think of your future. Move forward. Break the screaming at each other pattern. Good luck

Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
Me and my mom argue all the time. I know why. She had a conversation with me saying she doesn't want to go back to arguing like we used to but sometimes she really annoys me. But she does things that she knows i will say something. I kinda feel like an ass but i have this fire in my gut the wants to yell and scream at her. Mainly because she Spanked me a lot when i was younger and i feel like the only way i can get back at her is if i Be sarcastic ( and slightly rude) with her because i know that pushes her buttons to the limit. Its PRETTY OBVIOUS that its my fault but I'm gonna ask the dumb question ANYWAYS. Is this my fault? In todays society kids can take their parents to court for harassment ( i don't think ill ever get pushed that far) in the past i guess thats why some parents don't beat their kids?
First you need to be clear, did you get spanked or beat as a child for discipline or just because?
There is a vast difference between the two.

After that, it is your fault you behave the way you do toward your Mother yelling and screaming at her.
YOU control your actions and emotions now that you are not a child and if you cannot control them on your own, seek professional help with learning how to control your actions, emotions and how you handle anger.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
You are pushing each others' buttons. So, just stop. If you know what you say or do will make her mad, then don't do it. Let is ride. I think your mom wants there to be less fussing, but she is falling into old habits, as are you.

Somebody has to break the pattern. Why not you?

IMO, you both are at fault in this.

If you don't break the pattern now, you and she could go through life communicating in the same old harmful ways. I know because that happened to me and my mom. You don't want that. Break the pattern now.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:25 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,782,880 times
It takes two to argue.

You are in your 20s, right?
Are you in school full time?
Do you contribute to household expenses?

She just might be ready for you to leave home....

Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It takes two to argue.

You are in your 20s, right?
Are you in school full time?
Do you contribute to household expenses?

She just might be ready for you to leave home....
contributing to household
going to community college part time

Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,661,274 times
I think she wants you out. Maybe it's time to take the hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships