Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I really sincerely do hope that you do this just in harmless fun. There was a woman who used to work in another department at my office, and she made a HUGE deal about her birth month -- ALL. MONTH. LONG. She came across to me as horrifically self-absorbed and extremely high maintenance. I didn't wish her a happy birthday. In fact, I avoided her entire department for that entire month.
I was being sort of facetious. Of course I don't go on and on about it with everyone. It's my own little party - I treat MYSELF a lot over that month. I don't feel guilty about my best friend and my husband and my immediate family acknowledging my birthday with a meal and a cake or something like that.

For the record, I tell everyone not to buy me anything at all, because I buy my own self exactly what I want (several times over the month, in fact! ). I don't have my birthdate on any social media because I don't want all that hoopla. When I was working, I didn't tell my coworkers it was my birthday or birthmonth. I can only recall two times in my life that the word got out and coworkers gave me a cake, and one of those was when I turned 40 and it was a huge, embarrassing, crazy ordeal that I had no idea was coming and I really would have preferred not to endure! But it was touching.

Anyway, yes - it's harmless fun. I don't inflict it on others. In spite of being extroverted, I'm actually sort of a loner when it comes to daily and weekly activities, and I like it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,494,883 times
Why is this even an issue for you? Was she supposed to avoid scheduling her wedding on the birthdays of everyone she knows?

This is a non-issue.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:31 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,236,403 times
when i got married (i'm divorced now) we eloped. i didn't even think about what day it was and it really wasn't something that was planned. sort of a spur of the moment kind of thing. it turned out that it was my best friends birthday. i hadn't even thought about that. i guess i had other things on my mind. but when i got home from that eloping ski trip and told her that i got married and when, she said "hey! that's my birthday!" haha! but she was funny about it in a good way. i don't think she really cared.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:56 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,117,701 times
The OP clarified later that it wasn't about his birthday it was the fact that he paused or hesitated in saying yes to going to the wedding (because it's his birthday) and he was worrying that she noticed his hesitation. He was asking if he should tell her WHY he hesitated when she told him the date.

I told him that she most likely didn't even notice that he paused so he should just let it go. And now, since all y'all didn't actually read his questions, you've been giving him the wrong advice about the wrong thing. Now you've all gone and scared the poor guy away.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,086,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
The OP clarified later that it wasn't about his birthday it was the fact that he paused or hesitated in saying yes to going to the wedding (because it's his birthday) and he was worrying that she noticed his hesitation. He was asking if he should tell her WHY he hesitated when she told him the date.

I told him that she most likely didn't even notice that he paused so he should just let it go. And now, since all y'all didn't actually read his questions, you've been giving him the wrong advice about the wrong thing. Now you've all gone and scared the poor guy away.
To be honest, he seems pretty easily rattled by totally inconsequential events.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 AM

14,262 posts, read 14,787,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumPockets View Post
So, my best friend from college (who happens to be the opposite gender, and was almost a romantic interest, but that's another thing and also very over) is getting married soon, and I'm very excited for her. The weird issue is that she's scheduled the date on my birthday. Now, we're close enough friends that she didn't do it on purpose, but the date is set and I'll likely be part of the ceremony in some way. And it isn't an issue for me, because "it's just a day", but when she told me about it, I involuntarily hesitated. Which probably came off weird. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want it to be a big deal, especially since the date has already been set.

I'm just curious what your opinions on the situation are. Should I bring it up casually (knowing that she'd feel really bad about it) or just let it slide?
Your birthday is not that important a day. Get over yourself.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:02 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,981,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumPockets View Post
So, my best friend from college (who happens to be the opposite gender, and was almost a romantic interest, but that's another thing and also very over) is getting married soon, and I'm very excited for her. The weird issue is that she's scheduled the date on my birthday. Now, we're close enough friends that she didn't do it on purpose, but the date is set and I'll likely be part of the ceremony in some way. And it isn't an issue for me, because "it's just a day", but when she told me about it, I involuntarily hesitated. Which probably came off weird. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want it to be a big deal, especially since the date has already been set.

I'm just curious what your opinions on the situation are. Should I bring it up casually (knowing that she'd feel really bad about it) or just let it slide?
How old are you? Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships