Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,108 times

Advertisements

I really want friends. Right now I pretty much only talk to my sister and my boyfriend. My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship, and my sister lives with me and my mom.
I love my sister but we have an up and down relationship. Sometimes we get along and sometimes we fight. She says she doesn't "get me " and it frustrates her so we get into fights. We may be sisters but we have totally different personalities but she is the person that I go to to talk about stuff .

I had a group of friends but we have drifted apart, now I have no friends. I try to make some. At church and at work. I'll suggest to someone that we make plans and they always agree but then we never actually go do anything or they make excuses and say that we will plan something and nothing ever happens

Really I just want a friend, someone to talk to and do stuff with, going to mall/going shopping, maybe catch a movie or even a sleepover with movies and snacks =)

How do I find new friends? And how do I get pple to actually make plans instead of just talking about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
The best way to actually make plans is to suggest an actual activity and an actual time. If the other person is busy, suggest another specific time. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post

How do I find new friends? And how do I get pple to actually make plans instead of just talking about them?
Its tough for people to go out of the way to accommodate a new friend when they already have a set of friends & a daily routine. What you could do is invite them "on-the-go", for example, people at your work place have a time set aside for lunch so invite them for lunch rather than a movie after work. That way they don't feel the burden of going out of the way for you because you are fitting right into their schedule. After you have gone for a few lunches with different people I am sure some of them will become your friends & you can plan more activities over the weekend or after work. I also like to invite my neighbors or friends who live close by for a weekend breakfast at a nearby café.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Just keep going to church, being involved in various activities, go regularly to a Sunday School class, and sooner or later you will click with someone.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,305 times
You need an older person mentor, preferably a woman.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
The best way to actually make plans is to suggest an actual activity and an actual time. If the other person is busy, suggest another specific time. Good luck!

I agree. Instead of just saying "Sally, I would love to meet outside of work sometime" say something like "Sally, let's go to shopping at the mall on Saturday afternoon" or "Sally do you like to bowl?" and if she says "Yes" try to make plans right away. "Great, I would enjoy bowling with you. I am available Tuesday and Wednesday night next week. Do one of those days work for you?"

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships