Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:22 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times

Advertisements

People act like religious are the oppressive ones. I can't say I've actually seen that play out in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM

714 posts, read 747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.

None of this can compare to growing up without religion in a religious area. Trust me, this is nothing.

It sounds like you are so into your religion (and open/proud about it) that people can only see you for that. It's who you are. It's seemingly ALL you are. Own it. You want to be a nun and you get all wound up over someone calling you Sister Nancy? Like I said, OWN IT. You should take that as a compliment. Smile and act like a **** nun!!!

I also would bet that a lot of these incidents were made up or greatly exaggerated.

People don't openly hate anyone who devotes their life to religion, but if you are always talking about it, it's incredibly annoying.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:27 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Claiming that her church does a lot of things for her public high school strains the credibility.
Her whole post strains the limits of credulity. I lost MY faith at the "I want to be a nun and I go to Sunday School" claim.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:30 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Her whole post strains the limits of credulity. I lost MY faith at the "I want to be a nun and I go to Sunday School" claim.
I know two people from my high school who would have told you at age 17 what they wanted to be was a priest. Not everyone is as close-minded as you.

One of my aunts is a nun, one of my cousins is a priest, and my mom's cousin is a priest. I went to Catholic school for 13 years. I met so many wonderful people in religious life and I'm thankful that such people still exist.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I know two people from my high school who would have told you at age 17 what they wanted to be was a priest. Not everyone is as close-minded as you.

One of my aunts is a nun, one of my cousins is a priest, and my mom's cousin is a priest. I went to Catholic school for 13 years. I met so many wonderful people in religious life and I'm thankful that such people still exist.
Would you call Catechism Sunday school?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
It's not right for people to mock you about it, but some people don't understand such things and use humor or even rude behavior to make themselves feel better about your choices.

It sounds like you might be questioning your nun path which is also okay as it might not be the thing for you. You can still serve God without being a nun. And you are learning who to share your faith with and who not to.

I am glad you choose to follow God even when others mock you. Be assured that God notices. They did the same to his Son.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:46 PM

1,038 posts, read 903,064 times
This is like me saying People Don't Like Me Because of the Horse I Own.

Don't tell em about the horse.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
OP, I'm sorry that you have been targeted for your faith. The teenage years are tough, and young people can be extremely intolerant. Some of the best people I know have been drawn to religious life and service. Hang in there. High schoolers can be completely obnoxious, but most of them will eventually grow out of it.

P.S. If this is a post intended to troll, so what? You could insert pretty much anything into this discussion and find that at some point a teenager has been maligned for it. The advice remains the same: hang in there and know that it does get better after high school.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-25-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
[quote=Scooby Snacks;43145357]Her whole post strains the limits of credulity. I lost MY faith at the "I want to be a nun and I go to Sunday School" claim.[/QUOTE I feel its a him and a sad one at that...

Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
OP explain the Sunday school remark because its destroying your credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships