Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:56 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink and Purple View Post
As a catholic, I have never once heard anyone say Sunday School. It's always Catechism, PSR (public school religion), or Youth Group. Do you mean youth group? Are you a member of a catholic church or another branch of christianity?
We had Church School. Last period of the day all through elementary school. It was Tuesday-Thursday. Each day was 2 different grades.

This was years ago and it was a prominently Catholic city. Very small city....literally a square mile with less than 5,000 people. I'm trying to remember what the retreat weekends were called......my brain died.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,921,131 times
Nancy: It's fine to have such a strong faith, but as others here have suggested, deeds speak more loudly than words. See if your church has projects in which you can participate which are not connected with your school. Hang out and socialize with young people who attend your church and who have similar strong faith and religious views. Continue to be pleasant to all of your classmates, and don't overlook the positive use of humor: when someone calls you "Sister Nancy", just grin and reply, "Yep, that's me! Sister to all! And how are you today, my dear sibling?" Keep it light and don't let it get to you.

As for the rude picture stuck to your locker, if it happens again, report it to your school's principal and show it to him or her. Do not let other students observe you being upset, however. They are looking for a reaction from you, which they would find funny or entertaining. If something similar happens again, keep your cool. Rude pictures are not going to affect God, Jesus, or the Virgin Mary - so don't let them get to you, either. Just shut your locker, say nothing, and come back later when no one is around and remove the offensive picture. Don't give those who posted it the satisfaction of seeing your distress.

Expand your horizons. Find additional interests - if you do become a nun, you'll be better able to serve God if you are well-informed about all manner of things, and have lots of interests, knowledge, and talents. Don't reject people outright because they don't share your beliefs - look at those Jesus hung out with: a tax-collector, a bunch of fishermen, a probable prostitute - not exactly the upper class of Judea. But do find friends who are respectful and caring.

I have a relative who is always trying to bring others to her way of religious thinking. She's tried to "convert" many family members who are active church members and life-long Christians (in the best sense of that often misused term), while questioning them about what she considers immodest dress (Bermuda shorts! Two-piece bathing suits! Short skirts!) and "questionable" behavior (Dancing! Being single!). Needless to say, she has not won anyone over to her POV - and these are family members who care about her very much. Make sure you don't fall into her pattern of condemning others or giving a holier-than-thou impression.

You mentioned that you are a high school senior, so there are just a few months to go until you graduate and can put all this behind you. What are your plans for college? Attending a church-oriented college would most likely bring you in contact with others with whom you'd have much more in common. A summer service project or mission trip might also be something to consider.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Public schools are becoming more and more secular every day...they seem to have zero tolerance for any religion...sigh...it sucks that you are treated this way...
I read that your parents couldn't send you to private school...talk to your priest...especially if his parish also included a school...maybe there are programs or something he can advise

most family members and friends family members I know of who became nuns or priests went to catholic schools...
Well they're supposed to be completely secular, sooo...

Old 02-26-2016, 04:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
You have strange expectations for a person who want to serve a god. People who are going to serve a god should be prepared to humiliation, struggle, beating, non-listening, mockery, hard work without (usually) visible reward, tons of sacrifices, etc. etc. etc. Remember the crucifixion? Your problems are nothing in comparison to it. You, OTOH, are expecting that people will honor and respect you for serving god. Why? Do they owe this respect to you? Nah. There is no ground for respect yet. Earn it.
Sorry, it might be harsh for the person of your age, but better realize it now. There's no benefits, only sacrifices, and if you are exposing people to enjoy constant religious talk, expect they will not tolerate it well.

LOl

the important word in that is SHOULD; precious few actually Do.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,921,131 times
The OP's status indicates she is engaged.

Not sure how that squares with the interest in becoming a nun, unless she is thinking of herself as a potential "bride of Christ"...

Nancy, seems lots of folks here don't quite understand how everything you've posted fits together with your stated ambition. Can you please enlighten us? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:47 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,218,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We had Church School. Last period of the day all through elementary school. It was Tuesday-Thursday. Each day was 2 different grades.

This was years ago and it was a prominently Catholic city. Very small city....literally a square mile with less than 5,000 people. I'm trying to remember what the retreat weekends were called......my brain died.....
We had it for twelve grades. It was called by us "Catechism Class" and by the state "Released Time."

Old 02-26-2016, 06:02 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,569,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.
Are you in high school? I can think of no reason why people in college would know so much after your religion if at all.

Listen you have to toughen up. When I was in 3rd and 4th grade and living in the deep, deep south - my neighbors told me I was going to hell all the time. Because I was Methodist and not Southern Baptist. Their parents would take me aside and tell me the same thing.

I enjoy arguing with people so . . . food for thought.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 AM

124 posts, read 186,568 times
Re "lions, anyone": The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented a Story of Martyrdom: Candida Moss: 0201562104551: Amazon.com: Books

Old 02-27-2016, 06:50 AM

910 posts, read 1,085,449 times

And how in the world does a modern person know for a fact that Christians were not persecuted? Does this person have a secret time machine? If a Christian walks through Riyadh Saudi Arabia today do you think they would be greeted with happiness and shown a good time? Persecution is very personal, if a single person is beaten and jailed for being a Christian, and then writes about it, is it any less of an occurrence because it didn't happen to every Christian. By this measure then racism doesn't exist because every black person in the world hasn't experienced it.

This is what sickens me about people, who believe that the entire world should believe what they do.

To the original poster, public school is a government function. It is run by government employees, and is there to further the interest of government. There is no room to question their views. Dissent will not be tolerated. Any attempt to be an individual will be met with fierce resistance. Your best course of action if you can't get into a decent private school is to just get through it with the best grades possible. Once you get into college, you will have allot of great options.

But your struggles won't end there, you will be blasted your entire adult life by others who think that their way of life is the only one that matters. You will be given reeducation classes by your employers, forced to attend workshops about diversity and inclusion, and then be made fun of because you celebrate Easter. So much for that inclusion.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,987,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
And how in the world does a modern person know for a fact that Christians were not persecuted?
And how would a modern person know for a fact that the Bible is true and God exists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships