Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,948,694 times

Advertisements

Some of you may recall the thread I posted here recently about my roommate wanting me to allow him to let his GF "Snookems" who lives in a far off town move in here for free or at most, some nominal sum for rent. You guys gave me some good advise then, but now the situation is changed and I'm looking for new feedback from any one kind enough to take the time.

So, I had decided to let my roomie know as soon as he gets back from staying on his friend's ranch that Snookems is a deal breaker as far as my landlady is concerned - too many people living here who are not on the lease without even having paid a damage deposit, etc. Placing all the blame on the landlady would have hopefully taken any blame off me and prevented my roomie from taking retaliatory action like running out on his share of the rent.

However yesterday I described my current problems with my roommate and Snookems to a close friend who has known Snookems since she first came sniffing around this town 25 years ago. Oh my, my friend went ballistic! I never known her to speak so forcefully. She told me that as a friend, she was giving me the best advise possible and that I should just throw out my roomie NOW with 30 days notice before he gets a chance to buy an airline ticket for Snookem's return to what apparently has been the scene of her numerous crimes around here (including theft and more). My friend said that as long as my roomie is living here, that leaves the door open for Snookems to move in for a few days (since she has nowhere else to go) and that will turn into weeks and months and the two of them will stay here until I finally lose my sanity and gun them both down with a semi-automatic as has become the fashion these days.

Well, THAT certainly gave me pause.

But the plot thickens. My good friend D. who I have known for years has lost his job and has been looking for work for an entire year and coming up empty handed. This does not surprise me since D. is over 50 and the economy around here is awful. I've been job hunting myself with no luck. This area is poison for older workers. So, D. lost his apartment and has nowhere to go. I've let D. stay here while my roomie has been on his ranch escapade, and the differences between the two men are amazing. D. Helps me out with the work around here - both indoors and out. He seems tireless. He even washes the dishes. A man who washes dishes - imagine that! D. has a sweet tempered dog and he loves animals in general. My dog and two cats already adore D. Meanwhile, they hate my roomie. My cats actually run from him. Plus, D. knows how to work on cars and is putting a new radiator in my truck for me. I could go on, but you get the idea.

When my roomie is around he does nothing, except spend the entire day in pj's and stay in his room talking to Snookems on his cell. And my roomie was responsible for blowing up my truck radiator. Every mechanic I've spoken with says so.

I want to give my roomie notice to clear out, so I can rent that spare room to D. instead. Any ideas as to how I could pull this off in a civilized fashion without having my roomie go ballistic? I want him GONE - especially after my friend gave me the low down on Snookems. Any ideas, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,224,192 times
Easy. You were considering moving in the GF before, so it must be a possibility for a 3rd person to fit in the house.

Instead of Snookums, move in the 2nd responsible guy in, in her spot - set it up while the friend is out of town. This will solve a few problems. Suddenly there is no room for Snookums, so her moving in will be out of the question. You wont have to play hard ball with the annoying room mate, pissing him off, when you tell him no to Snookums. Guy 2 will pay his fair share in rent, reducing your expenses, unlike Snookums who wants a free ride with the BF. Guy 1 will eventually want to get closer to Snookums, and probably move out to live with her 1 on 1 so she can nest and stuff; this will get him out of your hair completely.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Easy. You were considering moving in the GF before, so it must be a possibility for a 3rd person to fit in the house.

Instead of Snookums, move in the 2nd responsible guy in, in her spot - set it up while the friend is out of town. This will solve a few problems. Suddenly there is no room for Snookums, so her moving in will be out of the question. You wont have to play hard ball with the annoying room mate, pissing him off, when you tell him no to Snookums. Guy 2 will pay his fair share in rent, reducing your expenses, unlike Snookums who wants a free ride with the BF. Guy 1 will eventually want to get closer to Snookums, and probably move out to live with her 1 on 1 so she can nest and stuff; this will get him out of your hair completely.
Thanks for the input. The deal is that I was NEVER considering letting Snookums move in. The only thing I hadn't decided was when to tell my roomie that Snookums would move in here over my dead body. Plus, my house is on the small side. Two adults can share it fairly comfortably, but three is just too much. The roomie is going to have to go - the Snookums thing was the last straw. Maybe I'm just going to have to cowgirl up, give my roomie the news he needs to be out in 30 days, put up with the whining and crying and go on about my life once it's all over with. I do hate scenes, though. *sigh*

Old 03-12-2016, 08:02 PM

251 posts, read 204,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for the input. The deal is that I was NEVER considering letting Snookums move in. The only thing I hadn't decided was when to tell my roomie that Snookums would move in here over my dead body. Plus, my house is on the small side. Two adults can share it fairly comfortably, but three is just too much. The roomie is going to have to go - the Snookums thing was the last straw. Maybe I'm just going to have to cowgirl up, give my roomie the news he needs to be out in 30 days, put up with the whining and crying and go on about my life once it's all over with. I do hate scenes, though. *sigh*
That's the most important thing: you've made a decision, and evenif it's a little tough, a matter-of-fact approach will help. It's a life decision. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2016, 08:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,774,875 times
Does your landlady know you are letting other people live in her house ? She has the right to perform a credit check/background check on them, potentially increase the rent, have them legally added to the lease ,etc. Check the real estate forum sticky for Colorado rental laws.

However, at the every least give your current roomie 30 days notice to leave, get him out of there, then decide on how to legally get this D guy to move in.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Does your landlady know you are letting other people live in her house ? She has the right to perform a credit check/background check on them, potentially increase the rent, have them legally added to the lease ,etc. Check the real estate forum sticky for Colorado rental laws.

However, at the every least give your current roomie 30 days notice to leave, get him out of there, then decide on how to legally get this D guy to move in.

Since these posts were made a year ago I'm sure the 'problem' has been solved by now. It would be nice to know HOW though and if things worked out okay.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelofogo View Post
That's the most important thing: you've made a decision, and evenif it's a little tough, a matter-of-fact approach will help. It's a life decision. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Since these posts were made a year ago I'm sure the 'problem' has been solved by now. It would be nice to know HOW though and if things worked out okay.
Wow! I'm flattered that folks would want to know how things turned out in this year-old thread of mine.

Well, a couple of days after my last post on this thread, I let my then roomie know flat out that I would never consent to letting Snookums live here. The roomie stormed out in a rage just like that and went to stay in his camper which he'd already moved to a friend's place. I didn't see him again for months. Of course I missed him terribly. NOT! I heard that he had negotiated a deal to rent out a trailer from my landlady, lied to her that he and Snookums were married (my landlady is a faithful church goer), and drove all the way out to Denver to bring his new "bride" home. Whatever. I explained to my landlady that my friend D wanted to move in in place of my previous roomie. I also explained that ours is a platonic friendship (truth) - no fake, whirlwind romance for me and D. We signed all the paperwork, and D's background check came back clean just as I knew it would.

A few weeks later my old roomie arrive unannounced and picked up a few of his items that he apparently considered essential and then vanished again. He left me with almost all his complete collection of hoarder junk. Those things were stuffed into a shed, my garage and spilled over into the front yard. The place looked like meth freaks or trailer trash or both lived here. I let the situation go on for another month, and then I wrote the ex roomie a letter giving him 30 days to remove all his garbage. Anything still here after a certain date, I would assume to be mine to dispose of in any way I wished. Well, that sure brought him and Snookums on the run! As he packed up his truck, I glanced out my back window from time to time to make sure they weren't ripping off me or D while they were at it. Snookums sat like a queen on a bunch of hoarder stuff the entire time and watched my old roomie load up his truck - never lifted so much as a finger to help. From time to time she'd turn and give the finger in the general direction of my house. My, what a lady - and so helpful, as well! And that was that.

A few weeks later I ran into Snookums at the town library. She told me that her "husband" aka my old roomie was suffering from a relapse of a bout that he'd had with cancer some years back. Of course, I offered my condolences. I may not like the guy very much, but I certainly wouldn't wish cancer on him. Still, I couldn't help but wonder if he'd already known that his cancer had returned when he was in hot pursuit of Snookums at the very beginning. He did have some symptoms back then that could be explained by a return of the disease. Of course, this is probably mean spirited of me to think such things of him. Still, I never saw a man so eager to get into a relationship with someone - anyone - than he was. I do hope his doctors will be able to get him into remission for a second time.

As for me and D, we continue to get along pretty well. We've had our moments, but what friends/roommates don't sometimes have their disagreements? All in all, I'm glad D is here, and he has been a good friend to me. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 03-14-2016 at 12:26 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 07:53 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,185,625 times
You defintely traded up in the roomate department, Colorado Rambler! Glad to hear that everything worked out, and that you were able to get the hoarder and his junk out of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships