Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 6,371 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to a major city in the US. I have a few good friends living across town, but they're often too busy with work and relationships (and they're also kind of lazy) to hang out more than once or twice a month. It seems like all I do when I'm not at work is browse the internet and play video games by myself, and it's getting quite depressing. I feel like I'm missing out on so much.

I have tried going to Meetups, but they tend to not be what I expect them to be. Some of them seem like straight up scams since they charge for them, and they have few people in attendance. At the one good one I've been to the person I met there lives kind of far from me, so I have the same problem as I have with my existing friends. Either way, it's would be pretty awkward to ask him for his phone number and then ask him out for some sort of friend date.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:10 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwamo View Post
It seems like all I do when I'm not at work is browse the internet and play video games by myself, and it's getting quite depressing. I feel like I'm missing out on so much.
Get out and DO things.

Go to concerts.
Attend lectures.
Volunteer.
Join a rowing club/bicycle club/etc.
Attend church.
Meet your neighbors.
etc
etc
etc

Old 05-07-2016, 10:17 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Get out and DO things.

Go to concerts.
Attend lectures.
Volunteer.
Attend church.
Meet your neighbors.
etc
etc
etc
This is really it. You just have to be out where people can see and interact with you, and vise verse, And like any relationship if there's chemistry, a friendship develops. It's difficult, because relationships take interest and effort on everyone's part. So if one party is not interested, or just doesn't care for you, not much to be done.

True friends are hard to come by, and it takes effort.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Take some sort of an adult education class through a museum, community college, public high school, hobby store...either to learn a new hobby or skill.

You could learn how to skydive, rappel, swim, ride horseback, play tennis, golf, racquet ball, handball, fence, yoga, Tai Chi, judo, boxing, kick boxing, run marathons, bicycle, motorcycle, fly fish, paint, photograph, write books, travel, foreign languages, cook, bake, grow orchids, community theatre, refinish fyrnutue, buikd furniture, rebuild a motor, build a hotrod, learn to canoe, white water raft, train dogs, etc....
or you could volunteer at any number of places,
or you could get a part time job.

You have to get out of your house and interact. That is how you make new friends and meet acquaintances. In life you are lucky if you have one or two very dear friends. The rest of people can fall into categories of buddies you run with, play whatever sport with, travel with...

Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Get out and DO things.

Go to concerts.
Attend lectures.
Volunteer.
Attend church.
Meet your neighbors.
etc
etc
etc
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Going to concerts doesn't seem any better than going to meetups or bars. There's just a lot of people there and I don't know if they're interested in making friends.

Attending lectures could be interesting. How do I do that though?

I've been thinking about volunteering, so I'm probably going to try that.

Where I live isn't really good for rowing/biking/running/hiking.

I'm not religious.

How do I meet my neighbors?

Volunteering seems like the best approach, so I'm definitely going to look into that more.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron816 View Post
You should sign up for Krewe. It places you into a group with five of your peers who all live within a half mile radius of each other. Since you start with that small group, you don't have to single anyone out for an awkward "friend date" as you say. Plus, because everyone is within walking distance of each other, it's super convenient to get together often. You can meet up on a weeknight for a quick drink at a neighborhood bar without a lot of planning. And the ability to get together frequently means the friendship can actually stick.

Wow, this actually looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to sign up. Thanks for this.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Take some sort of an adult education class through a museum, community college, public high school, hobby store...either to learn a new hobby or skill.

You could learn how to skydive, rappel, swim, ride horseback, play tennis, golf, racquet ball, handball, fence, yoga, Tai Chi, judo, boxing, kick boxing, run marathons, bicycle, motorcycle, fly fish, paint, photograph, write books, travel, foreign languages, cook, bake, grow orchids, community theatre, refinish fyrnutue, buikd furniture, rebuild a motor, build a hotrod, learn to canoe, white water raft, train dogs, etc....
or you could volunteer at any number of places,
or you could get a part time job.

You have to get out of your house and interact. That is how you make new friends and meet acquaintances. In life you are lucky if you have one or two very dear friends. The rest of people can fall into categories of buddies you run with, play whatever sport with, travel with...
Hmm...some of this stuff could get expensive, but it'd definitely be worth it if it works out. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:44 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwamo View Post
Hmm...some of this stuff could get expensive, but it'd definitely be worth it if it works out.
It is still worth it, even if it doesn't work out.
You sure seem full of excuses....

Old 05-07-2016, 11:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I have a friend that put a personal ad in the newspaper looking for a mate. She met her husband through that ad. Why couldn't it work for making friends as well. There has to be a ton of lonely people out there looking for friends. Is there any kind of web site just for making friends?

I've made a couple of friends just out walking my boys. One didn't work out so well though.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It is still worth it, even if it doesn't work out.
You sure seem full of excuses....
I guess there is a lot that doesn't interest me (maybe that's my problem), but I do have a limited amount of money and time, so I want to focus on the stuff that'll most likely work, which means weighing the pros and cons of it all. I'm definitely going to focus on that Krewe thing, which looks most promising, and volunteering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships