Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Dear Bubba,
It was sooooo good to hear from you. Bought your book, loved it, did you see the review I sent you?

We all keep in touch and wish you'd update us on your life cause we luv u.

Sissy
^ this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
^^^^^ What she quoted.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:44 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
Write two e-mails but just save as drafts. In the first, tell the #$$%%&& what you really think of him, how he's hurt your feelings, never responded to any contact, whatever it is you want to get off your chest about his behavior and all that.

Then, write a tactful e-mail, one that you think will encourage his continued efforts to contact you and your sister.

Print and enjoy the first, but send the 2nd.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I'd reply write away saying:

Billy, what a lovely surprise to hear from you! I think about you so often, and I was so sorry that you didn't include an update on what's going on in your life.

Of course I've read your book - didn't you get the review I sent you? In fact, I've been wondering if you're receiving our gifts, since we never hear anything.

Do keep in touch - I miss you!

Love, Sis

And, by the way, stop sending presents to the kids if you're not getting thank-you notes.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Our parents are both deceased. He has an estranged relationship when they were alive.

I guess it's not just the lack of communication all this time. It's the snarky tone in this email. "Have any of you read my book?" and "Did any of you get my book??"

One of my sisters and I both read it and traded emails with him about it when he wrote it a few years ago. I guess he forgot about that. Maybe he feels like we weren't supportive enough and that's why he dropped off the earth. Ironically, his book is about relationships and communication.
OK, thank you for answering that and sorry for your loss. Many times once the parents are gone and you have a sibling like this there is no relationship going forward. The only connection you had were your parents and they're no longer around.

You have your sisters and you're close. Be grateful for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
He's a narcissistic assclown. I'd leave him on mute.
^^^^^ this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Let's see...

The only time you hear from him is when he chastises you or wants something from you.

He never asks how you're doing.

He doesn't have the decency to tell his kids to thank you for the gifts you send.

Why, exactly, do you want a relationship with this narcissist again? Because I wouldn't bother with him or his kids at this point.
^^^ and this. Just one of those "qualities" would be enough for most people, he has several that are off putting. This guy brings new meaning to the word narcissist.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
Women define and hold families together, not men.
Nature makes it this way because male reproductive strategy is to 'sow the seed far and wide' and women 'nurture the babies' within the most secure environment they can achieve, which in western culture is the family.
I can't tell you how un-remarkable this story is and it makes me a bit sad.
But they can't help themselves, and neither can we...
Meh. Not always. I'm the one project managing my mother's life in assisted living and doing all the tactical things you need to do for someone with dementia. I'm the one who calls my sister and emails status updates. I'm the one who calls my stepmother. It's not that my sister does nothing. I'm just the more pro-active one and that's mostly because I did not move three timezones away.

I'm useless keeping in touch with extended family. My uncle is in weekly phone contact with my mother so we exchange periodic email and I've spoken to him a few times on the phone when he called while I was with my mother. Most of my cousins are pretty bizarre and I've intentionally lost contact years ago. My sister is a bit better at that.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
A case in point: my father, although 1,000 miles away from his family, wrote long multi-page letters every week to his parents and sister (separately), called every holiday, took the initiate to select and mail their gifts, etc, so it's not just a man thing. As for your brother being a hopelessly self-absorbed narcissist, you had me at self-publishing!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Yeah, the self publishing thing alone speaks loudly about his narcissism.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM

80 posts, read 107,903 times
Are you sure he's actually getting your emails, gifts, letters....it has been a long time. Are you certain he hasn't moved. You did say (2) years passed since y'all heard from him. You could be mailing these things to the wrong places. Emails get lost all the time. Maybe it's going to his spam. I get a lot of legit emails to my spam. If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't check it. I do understand your frustration because I got frustrated reading your post, but you have to ask yourself those questions. Good luck, I hope he's not being a jackass purposefully.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:56 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
How close was he to you and your sisters when he lived in the same area as you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships