Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 11,022 times

Advertisements

Thalia could you please explain what you did? You mentioned you did something messed up? What was it?

Old 06-11-2016, 08:12 AM

836 posts, read 775,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Ross24 View Post
I'm sure her folks could come up with $13K per year. They sound like selfish parents to me.
I'm MORE sure you have no idea what her parent's financial situation is.

Sounds like Thalia is an entltled brat who has shown no interest in her future.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:13 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia.leighton View Post
I'd like to study criminal psychology, and whilst I do admit that my grades were less than satisfactory this year, I worked really hard the previous years, especially for the SAT's, I think all that hard work I put in those previous years should count. My grades this year dropped my overall GPA which is bad, but if you erase that as well as my reckless actions this year, I have a perfect record. Plus, I googled the cost of UK colleges such as Oxford, Cambridge and UCL and they really aren't expensive at all, they're way cheaper than schools here in the US. I really want to go to Europe and study, especially the UK, it seems amazing there, and plus I hate it here, I don't have a chance of getting into a good college here and I feel like community college would be unfair given my SAT score as well as my AP classes and previous academic performance. Getting a couple of jobs for the summer will definitely be something I'll do, but then what?
The lower end fees at Oxford University would be $31,973.96. The lower end living cost estimate would be $12,440.00. That does not include travel or any fees like lab fees, books, entertainment, etc.
A one way ticket to London would be a little over $1,800. Of course that doesn't include anything else to actually travel to Oxford.

Right now the £ to the $ is 1.425, and everything over there is more expensive to begin with....

And if you can't go to a decent college here, what in the world makes you think you would get into the oldest, most prestigious university in the English speaking world? You need to humble yourself, I think.

Last edited by photobuff42; 06-11-2016 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-11-2016, 08:15 AM

31 posts, read 43,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Ross24 View Post
Thalia could you please explain what you did? You mentioned you did something messed up? What was it?
I did something stupid and sent nude pictures of my friend, I KNOW IT'S BAD, but I've regretted it and I'm dealing with the consequences, trust me I am. Had that stupid incident not happened, my grades wouldn't have slipped, I would have gotten into Vassar which has been my top choice school since I was 13, instead of having to work 2 jobs over the summer and more than likely end up enrolling in a community college, something that's always been my worst nightmare in regards to college, I would have friends and my boyfriend wouldn't have dumped me because according to him I'm "mentally unstable and in desperate need of psychological help" and in addition to that, he hopes "I didn't give him an STD when we slept together" oh yeah because sending nudes automatically makes me a prostitute now? And most importantly, my parents wouldn't hate me and they'd support me financially.
My life is literally a nightmare. I can't believe i'm not going to college in the fall, it's been my dream since forever and I messed it up big time.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
I'd like to study criminal psychology, and whilst I do admit that my grades were less than satisfactory this year, I worked really hard the previous years, especially for the SAT's, I think all that hard work I put in those previous years should count. My grades this year dropped my overall GPA which is bad, but if you erase that as well as my reckless actions this year, I have a perfect record. Plus, I googled the cost of UK colleges such as Oxford, Cambridge and UCL and they really aren't expensive at all, they're way cheaper than schools here in the US. I really want to go to Europe and study, especially the UK, it seems amazing there, and plus I hate it here, I don't have a chance of getting into a good college here and I feel like community college would be unfair given my SAT score as well as my AP classes and previous academic performance. Getting a couple of jobs for the summer will definitely be something I'll do, but then what?
WHILST?

So your family is from the UK? Nobody here says "whilst".

Is THAT why you have this goofy idea about going to EU? It "seems amazing"?

Uh, no it's not.

Makes no sense at all.

NOW you think you're too good for community college?

Gurl there's more to this story than you're letting on but your attitude is still bad from whatever it is that made you screw up your senior year.

I suspect it has something to do with "criminal psychology".

Did you get involved with some guy who's a CRIMINAL? My money's on THAT.

Get a job and go to community for two years then transfer if you claim you actually WANT to go to "a good school". And pick better friends because achievers do not hang out with losers.

EDIT: OK now I see the story. But my advise remains the same. Bad enough you "sent" nude pictures but of YOUR FRIEND? LOL. I guess you're learning that yeah, achievers don't hang out with losers so now it's time to start over. Don't drink, don't do drugs and decide to become a serious person and stop blaming some phantom momentary "mistake" because there was alot more leading up to that, I'm pretty sure.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
I did something stupid and sent nude pictures of my friend, I KNOW IT'S BAD, but I've regretted it and I'm dealing with the consequences, trust me I am. Had that stupid incident not happened, my grades wouldn't have slipped, I would have gotten into Vassar which has been my top choice school since I was 13, instead of having to work 2 jobs over the summer and more than likely end up enrolling in a community college, something that's always been my worst nightmare in regards to college, I would have friends and my boyfriend wouldn't have dumped me because according to him I'm "mentally unstable and in desperate need of psychological help" and in addition to that, he hopes "I didn't give him an STD when we slept together" oh yeah because sending nudes automatically makes me a prostitute now? And most importantly, my parents wouldn't hate me and they'd support me financially.
My life is literally a nightmare. I can't believe i'm not going to college in the fall, it's been my dream since forever and I messed it up big time.
Have you been to therapy yet? That is literally the only thing that matters.

I doubt you would survive college, given the way you have described your current emotional/psychological state.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:19 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Just goes to show that you can be smart and a real dumbo.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Do they let high school students retake classes?

Repeat senior year if possible. Probably a good move for your emotional level, too. I'm not saying that sarcastically.

Or ask you parents to enroll you in a private high school senior year to prove you're serious if the public school won't allow it. Instead of wasting a "gap year" complaining and wandering around aimlessly.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:24 AM

31 posts, read 43,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
They lower end fees at Oxford University would be $31,973.96. The lower end living cost estimate would be $12,440.00. That does not include travel or any fees like lab fees, books, entertainment, etc.
A one way ticket to London would be a little over $1,800. Of course that doesn't include anything else to actually travel to Oxford.

Right now the £ to the $ is 1.425, and everything over there is more expensive to begin with....

And if you can't go to a decent college here, what in the world makes you think you would get into the oldest, most prestigious university in the English speaking world? You need to humble yourself, I think.
Because I have a well above average SAT score, because I've taken lots of AP Classes and because my GPA is still relatively high. Ok sure it's not as high as it was last year because of my grade slip us this year, but it's still high. I'm sure Oxford and Cambridge would understand my situation and at least interview me, the reason why I can't get into a college here is because they'll see my record and the whole nudes thing and flip the page to the next applicant. Plus, even though I live in Santa Monica I was thinking of applying to out of state colleges in New York such as Vassar, Columbia or worst case scenario NYU. My top choice since I was 13 has always been Vassar. That was a reachable dream up until this year.
Plus, if my parents were willing to financially support me going to Vassar why can't they financially support Europe? They were always 100% behind me in my dreams up until this year where they just don't care anymore.
Since I have no chance of getting into a decent college here, why not try my luck in the UK? If I go to Oxford my future will be guaranteed. I just need to figure out how I'm going to come up with the money, if it actually is 30 grand.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:25 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
If our OP has such a love affair with Europe, let her go there and learn what it's like to try to find a role in a structured, stagnant, class-conscious society when you are one of those "on the outside, looking in".

BTW, does anyone know if Icelandic Airlines (the low-fare carrier used by American students back in the Seventies) is still playing that game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships