Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 05:09 AM

31 posts, read 43,897 times

Advertisements

I was having a discussion with my parents the other day about my future and what's going to happen because I'm graduating High School in around 2 weeks and literally have no direct plans for what's going to happen in the fall, I have no idea what's going to happen with college and I've been thinking about that a lot lately, I haven't applied anywhere nor have I made an effort because I feel as though it's pointless, as soon as colleges look at my record and the sh*t I've done there's no way they're going to accept me. If only I could get it wiped out.

So then I thought that leaving the US and attending some decent college in the UK or somewhere in Europe would be a better idea and a new start for me. Anyway, I told my parents about my idea and asked them if we should look into it to get the ball rolling and speed up the process, and instead of supporting me, they said that sending me to the UK or Europe would be extremely expensive since it's overseas and I'd be an international student and that after everything I've done they aren't planning on supporting me financially and that if I wanted to do it, I should get a job and come up with the money myself? It isn't fair, because 1) My grades may have slipped this year, but I got a 2200 on my SAT's last year which is a huge advantage and in addition to that
I've taken a lot of AP classes and used to be a really good student, my grades this year aren't compatible with my capability, I know that, but I worked my a** off freshman-junior year and it's not fair that all my huge efforts have now gone down the drain. I mean I'm obviously not going anywhere in the fall, I haven't applied anywhere, hoping my parents would help me out. But they aren't helping, they're disowning me and they don't give a damn about my future. I have no choice but to take a gap year, but what am I supposed to do during that year with NO financial backing from my parents? Work like 2 jobs whilst simultaneously trying to get into college? It's like 4:00 AM and I'm awake thinking about how much my life sucks and how whilst everyone else in my senior class is preparing for college and looking irritably happy, I'm sitting here with no plans for the future whatsoever. I need serious help.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times
Honey, I'm sorry, but your parents are preparing you for adulthood where you are expected to take care of yourself. I think it's an excellent idea that you get two summer jobs AND take a class at a community college. You were irritably happy (and disengaged) when your friends were applying themselves to have a future and now you are paying the price. All is not lost, I would think that if you showed your parents that you do have initiative, there will be financial support.

I have to say that I laughed out loud about your plan to go abroad and study..... My daughter is in her middle 30's and the supervisor of 12 licensed mental health therapists. She wanted to take a semester off when she was a junior in college to work on some stupid project and I said, "Sure, you will come home and get your job back at Kentucky Fried Chicken and "work" on the project at home". Needless, to say (Thank God) she stayed in school. Took her until she earned her Master's Degree to thank us for that.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:36 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
I don't see how they're "disowning" you. It sounds like they want you to grow up and be more responsible. Not getting to go to another country for school is far from being the worst thing ever. From reading some of your other posts, you seem to be a bit melodramatic, tbh.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I don't see how they're "disowning" you. It sounds like they want you to grow up and be more responsible. Not getting to go to another country for school is far from being the worst thing ever. From reading some of your other posts, you seem to be a bit melodramatic, tbh.
It's not that I'm melodramatic, it's that I have no plans whatsoever in regards to my future, seriously during graduation I'm gonna have to watch all those proud annoying parents gloat about the colleges their kids got into and the kids all happy and excited because they have a FUTURE, something I don't have. My parents already told me they're not coming to my graduation. Kinda harsh, wouldn't you say?

Old 06-11-2016, 06:01 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
Just because they're not going to pay for you to go to college in another country, doesn't mean they are disowning you. They are trying to prepare you for the real world. What were you doing while all of the other seniors were planning for their future? You need to get it together and start taking more responsibility for yourself, plan for your future. A great place to start would be a job. You sound very dramatic, get over that.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:03 AM

6 posts, read 6,944 times
Don't have plans for your future? Then make plans for your future. Get a job or three. Join the service. Your future is YOUR responsibility.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:07 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Your parents did a very poor job raising you.

I feel a bit sorry for you. I experienced almost the exact same thing. College was not even talked about during my entire tenure of going to public school. If a parent can't prepare their children for adulthood then they have no business having children. I hope you don't take that the wrong way because I am on your side.

I'm older and I paid the price, adding that I grew up in an abusive home, mentally and physically.

Sad to say you are going to have to face reality and I hope you can tough this out. Forget about going overseas as (at this time) it's not a realistic goal. Start supporting yourself now, move out on your own, and hopefully the extra education that you will need to be gainfully employed will come in the near future. If you ask me you are the one who should be disowning your parents due to betrayal, not the other way around.

My sincere best wishes.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Your parents did a very poor job raising you.

I feel a bit sorry for you. I experienced almost the exact same thing. College was not even talked about during my entire tenure of going to public school. If a parent can't prepare their children for adulthood then they have no business having children. I hope you don't take that the wrong way because I am on your side.

I'm older and I paid the price, adding that I grew up in an abusive home, mentally and physically.

Sad to say you are going to have to face reality and I hope you can tough this out. Forget about going overseas as (at this time) it's not a realistic goal. Start supporting yourself now, move out on your own, and hopefully the extra education that you will need to be gainfully employed will come in the near future. If you ask me you are the one who should be disowning your parents due to betrayal, not the other way around.

My sincere best wishes.
Thank you so much, I appreciate this more than you know. My parents are so incredibly icy & dismissive towards me in everything, they know I'm struggling and they won't help me. I just wish I was one of the other seniors in my grade who get to leave this damn place and start college. I envy them so much.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:21 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalia.leighton View Post
Thank you so much, I appreciate this more than you know. My parents are so incredibly icy & dismissive towards me in everything, they know I'm struggling and they won't help me. I just wish I was one of the other seniors in my grade who get to leave this damn place and start college. I envy them so much.
Time will go by quickly and you will become a grown adult before you know it.

As I said, please tough it out. Things are rough right now but things can and most likely will improve in the future. Sadly you need to realize you will have to do this on your own.
Stay positive.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Hey aren't disowning you. June is not the time to be a thinking about the fall. You screwed up somehow that you won't say, and your only idea for the future is having your parents pay for you to go overseas. What did you expect them to do? Register for community college. Come on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships