Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernestntub View Post
It seems like a lot you are saying is true because I am the one who has to keep living. My folks will not be around forever.
Congratulations on your new house!!!!!

It really sounds nice. All the big stuff seems taken care of which would have been my only concern.

Enjoy all the special things you get to do to the house. It's YOURS!!

Stop letting your mother suck the joy out of this special purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:52 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
I would cry too if my mom was such a jerk.

My husband bought our house before I started dating him. It was a foreclosure and needed plenty of work, which he did himself, and it's very nice. He told me his mom made negative comments about it when he bought it. He was pissed but ultimately, it's her problem, not ours.

Enjoy your new home!

Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Pretty much sure it is.....

Old 07-07-2016, 01:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Ernest,

Act like an adult. That means that you make decisions on your own. You may seek advice or opinions of others, including your parents. But you don't have to. Your money....your house....your decision. What makes your parents think they know more about the best for you than you do?

Being an adult also means you don't care much what gets your mother's panties in a wad. That's her problem. She'll get over it.

Congratulations on your new house. I did the same thing, when I was about 40. I was able to buy a structurally sound, cute cottage (but old and in need of work cosmetically) in a nice neighborhood that appreciated quite a bit over the years. I didn't ask my parents' opinion. Why would I? I looked at a LOT of houses over a year and a half, so I knew much more than anyone else what I could get for the money and what I wanted. It was well within my budget.

I LOVED my house. I spent years making it my own, fixing it up. Truth be told, I never finished because I got too busy at work. But I still loved it. So cute, wonderful location, HUGE yard. I was happy there. I'm sure you will be, too.

Tell your mother that you're grown, now, and capable of making your own decisions. It's hard for some parents to come to terms with that. But they really will get over it.

Congratulations!

Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Why are you still seeking your mother's approval for your life?

Old 07-07-2016, 03:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
You aren't going to change her personality. So stop engaging her in conversations about it. If she gets on the phone with you just talk about something totally benign like the weather. Make your own choices and don't listen to judgement from anyone about it because you're the one who is living with your choices and if you're ok with it then that's the only thing that matters.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:41 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Your mom isn't talking to you? GREAT, since she has only negative things to say right now. Enjoy the reprieve.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:43 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
You're a mess.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernestntub View Post
I know. The problem is
That what triggered this was because I didn't take my folks to look at the house before I signed the contract . I showed my folks after the contract was signed. As I said I was aware of the fixes going forward with the house. My dad is ok with this . He will talk to me but my mom on the other hand. Is she jealous of me or something ? What is going on in her mind about this?
Your mother is a NARCISSIST. Narcies hate things that are not about them.

Read-up on Narcissistic Personality Disorder. This is a TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE of a narcissist's reaction, if you ask me.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Congratulations on the house! Don't let anyone spoil your happiness.

I am guessing from reading your post that you are from another culture and your family has not been here for generations. That could be a big part of your mom's issue. She seems to think she should have a part in all your decisions. What's done is done and she will calm down in time. You can probably help her come around sooner if you ignore her, and cut out the suffering. Sounds harsh but what she seems to want is to punish you for making your own choices.

Be deliriously happy whenever you speak to your father. Tell him all sorts of great things are happening in your life. And *I* would tell dad that I met someone and we are dating quite seriously. Mom will be all over you in no time! BTW...if this does happen and you are serious about someone, she WILL try to submarine your relationship. Consider yourself warned!

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships