Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,745,726 times

Advertisements

My in-laws live in an RV they drive all over the place. We have to go to them, because there are no RV parks near us. The last several times we have visited, we are expected to bring and prepare all our meals, and theirs too, because my husband's stepmother never plans ahead. We'll roll in at 5:30 after a long drive and she hasn't even gone to the grocery store. I always bring plenty because I know it's coming.

We visited last month, and it rained most of the time. Nine people stuck in an RV with seating for seven while half-deaf Dad blasted Fox News for two days. Super fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:34 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,066 times
I just realized, I don't think the TV at my in-laws has even been off. At least, I've never seen it off.

How many times can you watch the same episodes over and over again???

Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,297,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Funny, I grew up in a small (<500) town and my parents lived there until they died. Yet we never lacked for things to do. I visited every chance I could after I was on my own, though work and distance made that harder. Still miss visiting them.

In laws on the other hand, even my wife minimizes visits. It's like we're a stranger in their house. Even when we do visit, they, esp FIL, act as if we aren't even there. Even our kids don't care to visit Grandmother and Grandfather (they insist on the formality, he doesn't like "granddad or grandpa." Everyone is tense and stressed, esp when it's a holiday visit.
Same here. Still love going to visit or just look around at the small south texas towns my family lived in years ago. Some are almost ghost towns, but we still find them fascinating. And yes we do visit with family and we just talk and talk and talk.

The good thing is that these towns are located in what was or is the gas and oil drilling boom, so plenty of new hotels to stay in. No need to intrude on family.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:09 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,632,010 times
My parents don't go out much. My mom made a point of telling us this and that we would have to do that on our own. So when we visited them we thought we would come and go as we pleased but arrived to find mom had planned out every single day for us with other people coming to visit. This was always at an inconvenient time in the middle of the day making it very hard to plan anything else around these visits. They live more than 30 miles from a metro that has anything else or any friends I wanted to see. I saw her friends and mostly family I don't know well or at all. People that were expecting to meet or see us so we had to stay. I had not been there in a very long time and wanted to see my old friends and didn't get to. I think this was her way of entertaining us, but on her terms. It wasn't a very fun visit.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
Why not come up with some things to do and ask them to go with you?

Old 11-07-2016, 11:32 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why not come up with some things to do and ask them to go with you?
oh no, that would make too much sense!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:41 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,786 times
I haven't been back in 10 years and it will stay that way .

My husbands family consists of his dad , 2 drunk brothers in their 40's and 50's who never married and my husbands married ex wife who is there within 5 minutes of our plane landing in Holland from the states . His kids 27-30 either don't visit him or take whatever loose cash we have and we don't see them again . We have finally decided not to go back there either .. and it was HIS decision .

Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM

18,176 posts, read 15,749,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDee View Post
Yes, they feel as long as we are all sitting there looking at each other it is a good time.
Last visit to my my mother, who wouldn't stop her incessant napping/escaping to her bed, even for my visit of 2.5 days, I told her it's not right for her to do this while I'm visiting (I only visit twice a year), and reminded her that her memory/neurologist doctor told her to stop with all the naps. She said, "you should feel entertained just looking at me." Her sister told her it was rude to do that while I was in town. She normally listens to her sister who is "the alpha", but not on this issue.

You can't make someone care when they just don't, and her desire to escape into oblivion through napping has been a very longstanding habit going back decades.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
This is the disadvantage of living far away. We all want to see our parents or children, but a few hours at a time, not a few days at a time.

We live in a mild climate, which is on the way to FL. We enjoy short visits from friends and family who come for a few nights. We especially like when they go sightseeing on their own and then tell us about their day. We have tired of chauffeuring folks around to places we've been to many times. We also like guests to take us out for dinner once. After 3 nights, all the news has been shared, and we are ready to get back to our regular routine.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:42 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My in-laws live in an RV they drive all over the place. We have to go to them, because there are no RV parks near us. The last several times we have visited, we are expected to bring and prepare all our meals, and theirs too, because my husband's stepmother never plans ahead. We'll roll in at 5:30 after a long drive and she hasn't even gone to the grocery store. I always bring plenty because I know it's coming.

We visited last month, and it rained most of the time. Nine people stuck in an RV with seating for seven while half-deaf Dad blasted Fox News for two days. Super fun.
Oh my god, I just had to laugh. It sounds so horrible. If I'm expecting company, I make lists for a week, and have all the meals planned. I cannot imagine anyone being such an awful host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships