Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times

Advertisements

I had an aunt famous for bad clothing gift choices. She saw us regularly, so should've had some idea about what styles we wore.

When I was 17 and fully into the all-black, combat boots, plaid flannel grunge thing, she bought me a bright pink sweatshirt with a fluffy poodle on the front. Fluffy like it's fur was pompoms sticking out. With bows.

My ex-mil once gave me a wrapped up bathroom guest towel. It was cute, I guess, but seemed odd to give just one small towel. When I went to their bathroom later, I discovered it was part of their set hanging up. I just put it back and didn't say a word about it afterward. It was odd because the woman liked me and we got along fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 10:27 PM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I had an aunt famous for bad clothing gift choices. She saw us regularly, so should've had some idea about what styles we wore.

I could swear we have the same aunt, because that's exactly what my Aunt Myrtle was like! (it wasn't just me who was on the receiving end of her odd clothing gift choices......happened to my sister, too)

Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,338,548 times
When I was around 40 a friend the same age gave me one of those stuffed animals with a slit in the back to stuff your pajamas in. She often gave me gifts that were more suited to a 12 or 13 year old girl. But the pajama pillow was the strangest one of all, it was more of a gift for 5 to 8 year old little girl. She gave my husband books he would never read, new agey stuff, and a book on decorating with fung shei. My husband is very traditional, has never decorated a thing in his life and would never even consider fung shei. Some folks are just clueless.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
When I was 12 my mom bought a new couch a week before Christmas.
Christmas morning-no presents. She said the couch was the family present.

Almost 4 decades later and I'm still upset.
What an awful thing to do to children! I can't imagine screwing my kids out of Christmas so I could have a new sofa! SMH

Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
Many years ago I had a neighbor that was a drama queen, and a little immature acting for a grown woman.

Anyway, it was a few days after Christmas she was coming home from her family's and showed up at my door with a huge shopping bag full of gifts. (As I glanced in the bag I could see little bits of wrapping paper and tape and part of a name tag on the items so I immediately knew these were things she just got for Christmas and didn't want.) Btw: there were so many gifts it was a bit much, especially since she and I never exchanged gifts.

I said, "did you just get all these gifts you don't want" and she lied right to my face and said that she shopped for them, she seemed surprised and turned a little red.(she didn't realize how obvious it was that this wasn't hard to figure out.)

This was really the tackiest and most pathetic thing I've ever seen. We spoke on the phone a few hours later and I said, "why don't you just be honest and say would you like any of these gifts that I don't want." I said, I don't want and can't use any of them but why lie ? Finally in a soft voice she agreed. Geez !

I may not have been quite this direct with someone else, but since I use to try and avoid this neighbor and not listen to her ongoing soap opera and constantly asking for favors - in this situation with this oblivious person with kinda fake sincerity with these gifts she just received it felt like the right way to handle it.

If this was my lovely, classy, elegant neighbor, I'll call Laura, dropped off these gifts I would have responded quite differently, however, she wouldn't do anything this tacky.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
For my 40th birthday, my ex gave me a bag of pork rinds. One of those little 99 cent ones.

My mom used to work with a guy that used to give his family toothbrushes and jars of mayo for Christmas.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:38 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times
One Christmas, I opened a gift from my sister-in-law. It was an approximately 6 inch in diameter circle of netted cloth with small metal balls sewn on the edges. She had to tell me what it was. Any "quessers"?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:41 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
One Christmas, I opened a gift from my sister-in-law. It was an approximately 6 inch in diameter circle of netted cloth with small metal balls sewn on the edges. She had to tell me what it was. Any "quessers"?
something to put on top of a glass to keep flies out of a beverage??

Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
something to put on top of a glass to keep flies out of a beverage??

Did she give one to you, too?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenzilKelly View Post
For one Christmas , my brother bought me a six pack of Pepsi cans
My late grandmother, a Depression baby, always gave us the most horrid gifts. That's because she wanted to save a buck on absolutely everything she ever bought, and she succeeded in that quest wonderfully, to her granddaughters' dismay. My younger sister and I always had a good laugh about the terrible presents she bought us, but there was one we have discussed repeatedly over the years, because we are still shocked at how terrible it was.

When my sister got married, my grandma's wedding gift to her was a laundry basket full of canned food. Although it might be considered a bizarre but practical gift, there was one huge problem: all 60 cans had the labels ripped off (which was why Grandma got all of them for only $3), which made every meal my sister made from them a mystery As a matter of fact, they weren't even all human food: The first day was cat food (trash, since they had no cats), second day green beans, third day chicken noodle soup, etc. . . My sister ended up making a game out of it. Her husband and she had a surprise dish every day for almost two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships