Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's far cheaper to buy a 6/12/24 pack and drink home. Drinking like a fish is waste of money and life. Everyone I know who was a member of these clubs was a major alcoholic. They spent their nights hanging out with the other drunks ignoring their families.

1)Some people don't like to drink at home.

2)I know plenty of guys who belong to clubs who aren't 'major alcoholics.' I think you're exaggerating or flat out lying.

3)Tell me, on what do you 'waste' your money? The reality is: Most of these guys work all week, pay the bills, take care of their families and the wife doesn't have a problem with them going to their club once or twice a week to watch a game, socialize and blow off some steam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
1)Some people don't like to drink at home.

2)I know plenty of guys who belong to clubs who aren't 'major alcoholics.' I think you're exaggerating or flat out lying.

3)Tell me, on what do you 'waste' your money? The reality is: Most of these guys work all week, pay the bills, take care of their families and the wife doesn't have a problem with them going to their club once or twice a week to watch a game, socialize and blow off some steam.

1) Good for them.

2) We don't know the same people. I'd introduce you my family members who were members of these organizations, but they're all dead. Amazing what alcohol does to the human body when you're a major alcoholic!

3) My money is sitting in the bank. I'm not one of those wives you speak of. I only know one like that and her husband plays softball 3-4 nights a week....mean she ******* and moans about it every day.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:05 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
1) Good for them.

2) We don't know the same people. I'd introduce you my family members who were members of these organizations, but they're all dead. Amazing what alcohol does to the human body when you're a major alcoholic!

3) My money is sitting in the bank. I'm not one of those wives you speak of. I only know one like that and her husband plays softball 3-4 nights a week....mean she ******* and moans about it every day.
Just because your family is a bunch of drunkards it doesn't mean every guy in a social club is also a drunkard.

Nice life balance you have there ... My money's in the bank AND I have my fun.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:20 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That argument sort of falls apart when you look at many of them and see minority based chapters of a lot of them

Just where I live, one of the smallest Counties in Maryland, there are Black and White American Legion Posts, VFW, Chamber of Commerce, Attorney's group, Scout troops, and Black Masonic Lodge (no White one).

So self segregation is still in play.

As far as being "welcoming in the days of yore" goes, why would they be since the groups you listed weren't officially present to be represented?

You also are ignoring the large swaths of the US which are not "diverse".
I'd also add that for many blacks, the networking vessel of choice is 'The Divine Nine' historically black fraternities and sororities that many join during their college years....including a large share of recognizable names. Brief examples include:

Michael Jordan - Omega Psi Phi

Martin Luther King Jr. - Alpha Phi Alpha

Thurgood Marshall - Alpha Phi Alpha

Johnnie Cochran - Kappa Alpha Psi

Emmitt Smith - Phi Beta Sigma

Old 02-12-2017, 05:36 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BINGO! I'm in Santa Fe!

Thanks for the update on the building. I vaguely recall they put it up for sale, but decided not to, or something. It was used for local film festivals and various other events, as well.

Good question re: tax status. If they're registered as non-profits, they'd be tax exempt, I think. The question is: do they qualify for 501(c)3 status? Maybe that's why those grouips have minor charitable projects, like running a soup kitchen once/week, or weekend activities for youth at risk, or whatever. They do the minimum required to meet the "charitable" designation. Just a guess.
The organizations I know a little about are registered as non-profits, and are therefore tax exempt. The Masonic Lodges, the Scottish Rite, the Shriners, and the Moose, etc. all fit that definition. In many cases, there are additional corporate charters than handle the finances of the charitable work. The Scottish Rite Language Disorder Centers are registered as 501(c)3 charitable organizations, as are the Knights Templar Eye Foundation and the Shriners Hospitals for Children. That means that, although your membership dues are not tax deductible, the organizations are tax exempt as non-profits and pay no property taxes. Donations to the charities are tax deductible. The Shriners always note in their advertising if the fund raising is tax deductible.

BTW, drinking is not permitted inside most Masonic Lodges.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:46 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'd also add that for many blacks, the networking vessel of choice is 'The Divine Nine' historically black fraternities and sororities that many join during their college years....including a large share of recognizable names. Brief examples include:

Michael Jordan - Omega Psi Phi

Martin Luther King Jr. - Alpha Phi Alpha

Thurgood Marshall - Alpha Phi Alpha

Johnnie Cochran - Kappa Alpha Psi

Emmitt Smith - Phi Beta Sigma
I think you make a good point generally that more and more people are college educated these days. For both men and women, sororities and fraternities are an alternative to lodges.

I attended a university for graduate school that doesn't have fraternities or sororities, but the alumni clubs are nationwide and very active. The school is in the Midwest and I am in FL. The local club has activities at least semi-monthly, if not weekly. We have a younger alumni section, women's interest section, sports spectating activities, and spiritual activities. All are welcome to all activities regardless of age, gender, or religion. My undergraduate university (also in the Midwest) also has an alumni club in the area.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
I think these organizations are losing appeal. They have a small presence where I live but for the most part I think the younger generations don't care much for them. As IndyDancer points out there are many clubs, sports leagues, etc that cater to specific interests. For example, I am part of a badminton league and a ski club because those two involve activities that I really enjoy doing.
It's all community organizations. In the small town where I grew up, the Valley Women's Club used to have an annual pancake breakfast that grew to feeding over 1000 people in one morning. They built a small library for the town out of the proceeds. Now, they are talking about ending it because there are not enough volunteers to do the work. In an even smaller town nearby, the annual Thanksgiving turkey dinner was cancelled years ago because of a shortage of volunteers. The local Elks sold their lodge in a very desirable area to an auditorium-style megachurch, and built a new, smaller facility on the edge of town, but it's empty. A few dozen old folks may show up on Saturday night, but mostly they just stay home and watch cable TV.

Mass media has killed American society. People get passionate about national politics, but don't even know the mayor's name. If it's not on TV, it may as well not exist.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:52 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
We have a lot of posts and social clubs in my area and the majority of them are really struggling. I go maybe twice a year for the cheap beer and to watch a sporting event, but they all allow smoking, which is a big turn off to a lot of younger non-smokers. The smoke can get overwhelming. So, until things change, I'll pretty much stay away.

Smoking is one of the reasons I stay away. I have noticed that the American Legion has a lot of posts going smoke free. The VFW post that is within crawling distance from my house still allows smoking, so I rarely go there.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:56 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Yay a social club for old white guys who have some money to waste on beer and smoke. Who wouldn't want to join? It's more fun to drink with your buddies at home. Or not drink. Everyone I know who was a member is long dead and all they did was drink and smoke and get away from the wife. What's not to love?
Quote:
Is it a 'waste' if that's what one enjoys? How do you 'waste' your money?

Reminds me of that old saying... I spent most of my money on wine, women and song. The rest, I just wasted.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:21 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
I used to talk with a guy at work who was the grand poobah of the Masonic lodge nearby. Because I had read quite a bit about the lodge and converse well with him,I learned about some of the charitable things they were doing. To Him, his life was the lodge and all that that entailed. I still remember when he gave me the masons "grip" when he shook my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships