Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 AM

69 posts, read 47,101 times

Advertisements

backstory
I have two friends( a couple) who have always been loyal and would go out of their way to help me out more so than a normal friend would. the type of friends that i would call if god forbid i ever needed to be bailed out of jail.

incident 1
However, this past summer, i let them stay at my place. they invited random people to my place while i was asleep, who were in full party mode and gave 0 ****s about my property. like the people they invited over were just making a mess to be *******s when i woke up. I chewed them out. they apologized, profusely and said they had been at the lake drinking all day and were out of it. they came in person to apologize and were sincere about it.

it was the first time they really did something disrespectful, so i gave them a pass after we talked it over and they seemed genuinely sorry.

Now, the issue at hand. I have this huge sturdy, really nice kitchen table and chair set that has been with me for years. it has been a tank and has held up like new and looks great. it was about $1500 brand new. Through all my moves, it has 0 noticeable scratches, mint condition. Impressive considering i switch apartments every year and have had some wild roomates in the past

The kitchen table incident

They came over a few months later and one of their cousins stood on the support beam between the chair legs and broke the chair. like just stood on it.

for example, the horizontal beam in front of the picture below.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So, im down one chair. However, with the way the table was set up, i could get by with 3 chairs and have it look fine.

Fast forward a few months later. They come over and the guy of the couple stood on the support beam of another chair and snapped the chair.

its one of those things that pisses me off, because it makes no sense to stand on chair in that way and it happened twice.

anyways, i was like whatever, i will try and fix it later.

So then, he goes and i dont know how he even did it since the table weighs a ton and ive had people sit on the corner and have the table not tip, but he pushed down on it as he was sitting down and tilted the table off the ground and knocked everything off it.

the table now squeks when ever i touch it.

Confrotntation

When they came over, they sold me something literally pennies on the dollar. Something that cost like 300 and they sold it to me for 100.

The next day, they hit me up for the cash for it as i didnt have it that night. This is the couples only source of income and they are pretty poor, so i sent him the cash.

However, i mentioned you were a real tornado and broke alot of things last night. im really going to have to break out my carpentry skills to fix it. and sent him a pic of it. he made a joke.

so, i admit i was skirting around confronting them about it. So, i directly said, hey man, you totally trashed out a 1500 kitchen table set.

and he responded

"10/10 ****ty build. would not buy again"

I took that response as beyond disrespectful. maybe im being overly emotional here.

But, i go wow, that is a true scumbag response. dont bother contacting me again.

he sent me a text saying he didnt know i was being serious as he didnt know the table was broken. and that it was a joke in response.

I am thinking of writing off an 8 year friendship over this... petty on my part? overly emotional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 03:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
It depends on how important your chair and table set are to you, (or other articles that you own) vs your friendship with them. Chairs and tables can be replaced or repaired. Good, solid friendships are hard to find.

Are these childish people going to continue to act like idiots, drinking and then climbing on your furniture or destroying other things forever, or were these just fluke accidents that won't be repeated because the dumbasses grew up and learned a lesson? Do they party all the time, or is this just a couple of isolated incidents?

You know these people. The people on this forum don't. It will have to be your judgement and decision.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:52 AM

6,565 posts, read 8,402,207 times
If you decide to keep them as friends, I would advise against having them or their friends/relatives in your home and let them know why. I mean, what kind of adult stands on a part of the chair like that? And then doesn't offer to replace or repair what they broke?

Old 04-04-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If you decide to keep them as friends, I would advise against having them or their friends/relatives in your home and let them know why. I mean, what kind of adult stands on a part of the chair like that? And then doesn't offer to replace or repair what they broke?
I guess that what makes me pretty pissed. If it was a reasonable accident, then i would just be annoyed that its happened more than once.

But, it is stupid behavior and since they dont even really appear sorry making jokes about it, it as disrespectful.

It would be like if i got into a fender bender playing angry birds. Then got out of my car and said "10/10 ****ty car bro, i wouldnt get that one again"

Old 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,659,591 times
Other than the first incident, what were you doing when they were pulling these stunts? Were you observing and if so why didn't you stop them before things got broken? Obviously they act like morons when they've had a few too many. Maintain the friendship but no more sleepovers and keep the booze out of their reach.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Don't know your ages but what it sounds like is that everything was all great fun when you were all younger. Then you grew up. Then there was income and outgo considerations and adult purchases and grown up morals and outlook.

One side progressed normally.

The other side stayed kids.

Adults who want to remain kids can be dangerous. Charming too...worse as they get older...and that's part of the magic dust of their danger.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,684 times
So what exactly is it that you get out of their friendship? Cheap (possibly stolen) items?

Old 04-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Other than the first incident, what were you doing when they were pulling these stunts? Were you observing and if so why didn't you stop them before things got broken? Obviously they act like morons when they've had a few too many. Maintain the friendship but no more sleepovers and keep the booze out of their reach.
its not like some drawn out crazy act that they are doing when they are drunk.

they are sober and we are just hanging out. Then he went full potato and stepped on the support beam and stood on it.

Its not really something i can stop lol unless im channeling my inner tom cruise from minority report

Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
So what exactly is it that you get out of their friendship? Cheap (possibly stolen) items?
they are fun to hang out with. Always invite me to fun places/events

Old 04-04-2017, 09:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
OP: You are the only one who can answer your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships