Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I once came out of the grocery store to find someone had parked literally 6 inches from the driver's side door. I am a big girl, and there was no way I could crawl over the console from the passenger side to the driver's seat. I had someone go in the store to page the person who had parked so stupidly. After waiting some time, a small woman volunteered to climb in and back my car out so I could get in. The other person never came out of the store to move their car.
My car goes from line to line in these newly developed parking lots made for compact cars. Luckily I am super tiny, but this happens often when I park in a regular spot. Some fool will always pull in with a equally large truck or suv, and the vehicles are almost touching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have handicap tags...
What is the wink for--do you actually have a disability? All of your posts are about protecting your vehicle, not your easing your health.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What is the wink for--do you actually have a disability? All of your posts are about protecting your vehicle, not your easing your health.
the topic was people parking to protect their vehicles. I stated I generally park in handicap spots because they are larger. I just happen to have handicap tags that make this possible. The thread was not about people parking based on disabilities.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
the topic was people parking to protect their vehicles. I stated I generally park in handicap spots because they are larger. I just happen to have handicap tags that make this possible. The thread was not about people parking based on disabilities.
Your reply was this:
Quote:
I almost always park in handicap spots so I have extra room and prevent rude people from dinging my doors.
The implication was certainly that the reason you used the handicapped spot was to protect your car. Not that you generally didn't often get dings in you car since you have use of handicapped spaces which are larger. Big difference.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:08 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
the topic was people parking to protect their vehicles.
The topic is people thinking the rules don't apply to them using parking as an example. Defrauding the handicapped parking system to protect your car is certainly an example of that.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Your reply was this:

The implication was certainly that the reason you used the handicapped spot was to protect your car. Not that you generally didn't often get dings in you car since you have use of handicapped spaces which are larger. Big difference.
well I was assuming that people would be intelligent enough to know that I legally parked in those spots. I should have specified.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The topic is people thinking the rules don't apply to them using parking as an example. Defrauding the handicapped parking system to protect your car is certainly an example of that.
I have legally obtained a handicap tag. There was no defrauding of any system.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:13 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
A lot of people have no qualms about parking in a handicap spot without any placard or using the placard for themselves when the person with the disability is not with them, so why would you assume everyone should know you're on the up and up?
The way you keep skirting the issue is bound to make people question whether YOU yourself have a legitimate tag that is being used appropriately, legally obtained AND used according to the law. If not and you are using it solely to protect your vehicle then the question is why, what makes someone feel entitled to do that?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Then why didn't you say that in your post? It clearly sounded like you were parking in the larger handicapped spots just to protect your car from dings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A lot of people have no qualms about parking in a handicap spot without any placard or using the placard for themselves when the person with the disability is not with them, so why would you assume everyone should know you're on the up and up?
The way you keep skirting the issue is bound to make people question whether YOU yourself have a legitimate tag that is being used appropriately, legally obtained AND used according to the law. If not and you are using it solely to protect your vehicle then the question is why, what makes someone feel entitled to do that?

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-10-2017 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
well I was assuming that people would be intelligent enough to know that I legally parked in those spots. I should have specified.
Intelligence has nothing to do with it. People who need those spots do not make it a point to talk about protecting their cars, and when they do talk about the space, it's because they need it to be able to get out. There is plenty of enough abled people however that have no qualms about taking the spots for their convenience. There's also those who game the system to get the pass.

I had a friend whose parents got the placard on the account of her disability and bragged about it. Her disability was deafness, that placard had nothing to do with easing the way in, they were just lazy people who had no problem gaming the system. Last I've heard, it became a little more restrictive as to who could get it. Deafness alone didn't count anymore.

I don't remember you ever mentioning having a disability, which makes it more curious now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships