Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:25 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,680 times

Advertisements

Stop associating with them. They are not your friends

Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I think most of the women on this thread don't understand the issue. Men are ... different. Especially in a group. You can't show any weakness.

Odds are when the OP tells them to quit with the jokes they'll just turn it up 10 times more, because he's signaled that he's sensitive to the ribbing. I think he knows this and that's why he hasn't told them to stop already.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Frankly, they seem too childish to want to stop. In that case, I would think of something even more offensive for each of them, perhaps them having sex with their mother or sister or sex with an animal and tell them that every time they say that comment to you, you will say your comments loudly back to them. And, then do it. Perhaps, when the crowd turns to them in horror when you suggest how much they would enjoy having sex with the Pit Bull tied up outside the bar they may realize that certain jokes aren't funny at all.
That would do it. I'm willing to be money that if you joked around that they have orgies with their mom and sis (or cousin), they would blow up. That would get your point across. You could then say, "Let's make a deal; I'll knock it off with the incest jokes, if you knock it off with the rapist and molester jokes."

I don't think the "please stop making those jokes, pretty please?" approach is going to work with those guys. They'll just laugh at you. "Please" is for wusses, with guys like this.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM

322 posts, read 286,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think most of the women on this thread don't understand the issue. Men are ... different. Especially in a group. You can't show any weakness.

Odds are when the OP tells them to quit with the jokes they'll just turn it up 10 times more, because he's signaled that he's sensitive to the ribbing. I think he knows this and that's why he hasn't told them to stop already.
Uh no we understand perfectly. This isn't about weakness

If he doesn't say something they'll keep going since he isn't saying it bothers him. And if someone overhears they could report it or tell others what he/she heard. It's more important for him to speak up than to be potentially investigated over this or have his reputation ruined because of a "joke" and if these "friends" don't think it's a big deal then they're not good friends. Wonder how they would react if they were called the same thing.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
No. That had nothing to do with this. I had just commented on how it was nice to get attention from girls like I did at the party even though I had no intention of pursuing either of them because that never happens to me, but that just escalated the jokes.
Sorry OP, but saying you enjoy the attention of 14 year old girls does come off as a creep. Were there not people your own age at this party?

You need to tell your friends to stop, but you need to not say inappropriate things either. Think before you speak. If your friends are saying you talk about girls too much, tone it back. You don't need to broadcast your every thought out loud.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Well, you seem like you're the omega in your little pack of bros. I think you need to stand up for yourself by simply walking away. "It's not funny, and I don't appreciate it." And then you leave. They can reach out to contact you if they want to get in touch.

But that said, you come off as incredibly lacking in the emotional intelligence skillset. Goleman's Emotional Intelligence would likely do you a world of good. https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Int...dp/055380491X/

It's time to cultivate some new friends and explore a little beyond the world you've been in, in my opinion.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:17 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
First of all, that is NOTHING to joke about! That's akin to walking into an airport and "joking" that you have a bomb in your bag!
You straightforwardly tell your so-called "friends" that such an allegation (yes, even jokingly) is a matter that's taken VERY SERIOUSLY in society! I would immediately disassociate myself if I were you, from these people, and if such was ever mentioned or heard again, you immediately report them to the administrative faculty! Child molestation/sex allegations are seriously investigated. I'm a CPS worker, so I know this firsthand.

Things like this can and possibly will get the jokers kicked out of school; it can also get them sued! It also makes my blood boil! If they are saying things like that, they are not your friends! This can get you in a LOT of trouble if the wrong people hear it. Protect yourself!
I read through all answers and this is exactly what I was going to say

Old 07-13-2017, 01:18 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Get a girlfriend. Talk to your buds to stop it. Someone might overhear and misunderstand.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:22 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
Guy, chill out lol. I appreciate you looking out for me, but I don't want to take such drastic measures. I just want to be able to tell them that that joke bothers me without being seen as a bad sport, because we all like to razz each other all the time
If you'd let those kids out of your basement and stop getting that hungry look in your eye every time you get near a playground, they might leave you alone about this sort of thing.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
He won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships