Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:05 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
How true. People always talk about life skills that should be taught - making a budget, paying bills, buying a house, saving for retirement. Most kids don't get it from their parents, 'cause the parents are nearly as ignorant. We should add estate planning to the list. Not that many of us leave an estate, but many have houses and there always seems to be family drama.
Good post!

I watched this happen to an aunt on my husband's side of the family. She married twin brothers one after the other and nursed each until they were gone. Once the second one was dead his family rushed in and locked her out. She was never even able to get her own belongings out of the house.

This is the way the story was presented to us. I know there are multiple sides to every story. If this is the way it happened I doubt any appeal was ever even made to law.

These people were not very bright bulbs and I doubt they even realized the legal aspects of their situation. They were all sort of backwards country folks and probably considered all their lives that lawyers only existed to scam them out of money.

They were accustomed to running their own lives with no assistance from "outsiders." I don't know how you get the message to old folks that times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Your stepgrandfather left his girlfriend at the mercies of his children when he didn't have to. Further, I can see any number of situations where the owners of record of the property (presumably the children after your grandfather died) could have been left with significant financial burden - was the girlfriend paying rent? Who was paying for repairs? Was there a mortgage?

Also, my father is living with me now at 86 and has full-blown dementia, so I'm wondering how capable this woman was of taking care of herself in her 80s.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm struggling to believe these details - it sounds like there is something off here.

The married couple had a Will. Then, the husband of that married couple went behind the wife's back and changed the Will while the wife was still alive and was still his wife? I don't think you can do that.

Any changes to the Will my husband and I have, while each are alive and we are still married, have to be done by both of us. Not just one of us.
That's if you have a joint will. In some cases, each half of a couple has their own wills, and can change them as they like. It was done to me by my late H, so I know it's possible. Fortunately, I didn't care about the change, (which was major) which he told me about when he was close to death, so it was all OK. Not good, but OK.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That's if you have a joint will. In some cases, each half of a couple has their own wills, and can change them as they like. It was done to me by my late H, so I know it's possible. Fortunately, I didn't care about the change, (which was major) which he told me about when he was close to death, so it was all OK. Not good, but OK.
I don't see how that could work in this case. If you have a prenup, for example, and certain property is excluded from community property, I could see it.

I only know Texas law, and our property is community property. My husband doesn't own it outright, and can't make decisions without my signature on who will get our house upon his or my death. I own half the house.

Is that not the way it works in other states? One member of the couple can decide whom to will the real estate to?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
My dad got thrown out of his girlfriends house where he had lived with her for over 25 years. She was starting to need more care as her alzheimers progressed. When dad had to spend a few days in the hospital, her family took her home and said Dad had to live somewhere else. The each had their own money. Their both gone now. I would not want to have to deal with her family if he had married her.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
You don't get a person into nursing home, these days, without a good medical reason, a long wait and lots of hassle. I know.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
If your stepgrandpa cared so much for her, and was concerned about her living out her life in the house, why didn't he arrange for her security legally? Why do men do this? Did he leave no will? If he didn't, that was not very smart or responsible of him at all. Who is paying for her nursing home?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
I'm struggling to believe these details - it sounds like there is something off here.

The married couple had a Will. Then, the husband of that married couple went behind the wife's back and changed the Will while the wife was still alive and was still his wife? I don't think you can do that.

Any changes to the Will my husband and I have, while each are alive and we are still married, have to be done by both of us. Not just one of us.
Wow, I did not even realize that couples could have joint wills. I always thought that each person made their own will.

Now, most/many married couples have property that they own jointly so even with a will saying something different the spouse can't "give away" in the will to someone else something that does not belong to them.

Of course, there are different ways of "owning property jointly" so I suppose, for example, a husband tenant-in-common with his wife on the family home may decide to will his share to his children instead of his wife. But, I would hope that couples would discuss things like that in advance and make sure that spouses are protected and everything is legal.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:

An individual generally has a will, not a couple. I've never heard of a "joint will" - but I'm constantly surprised :-)

It all depends on how the home was titled -- was it just to the husband, or as a joint tenancy? Does the state they live in have homestead laws, that favor widows/widowers in this situation? Lots of unknowns here, too many to make sweeping generalizations. A husband and a wife can own property separately, but the fact that this was her home was a wrinkle.

Agreed, though -- a dirty trick. Husband figured he'd be dead and wouldn't have to deal with his wife's ire. If the wife could prove that the husband was mentally incompetent while making the second will, the will could be contested, but that's going to get messy . . .

Old 07-14-2017, 01:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
The dirty trick was the husband signing a new will and not letting the wife know. If that was done to me, I would not be buried next to the liar. Let his daughter have that space. At least the elderly lady had a place to live till she died.

I too have seen family relationship die because of the greed of the offspring. Part of my own family.
Sounds more like the daughter badgering an elderly man with diminished faculties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships