Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 01:12 PM

39 posts, read 57,902 times

Advertisements

I know social media discussions bring out the worst in people and a lot of people have a vendetta against it but please, try to answer the question instead of telling me social media is evil or some sort of demonic entity. I know its not easy but try and do understand that I intend to stay on social media since it is central to my life as a millenial as I can find events going on with my friends and it helps me stay in touch with friends from the past.

I currently work in Marketing and my workplace is a place full of people in their 20s who are mostly fresh out of college. A lot of my coworkers went to big state schools and were involved in Greek Life.

I've added a couple of them to Instagram and Facebook, have to say that their social media accounts are massive.

I am talking over 1k followers on Instagram, over 3k Facebook friends, and a ton of likes on photos they put up of themselves.

A lot of this seems legitimate too because they are in pics with these people, have friends commenting, and are often having friends and followers who went to the same school as them and such.

My facebook friends are at around 700 and my Instagram following is at around 500.

At times it has been brought up when we chat and I tell my coworkers that I was homeschooled and went to a D3 university.

Looking forward though, I do wonder if I missed the boat on getting that sort of a social media account.

I know options such as adding fake bots or getting a piece of software to give you fake followers who you don't even know exist but I want it to genuinely be a situation where I have met that many people in my 20s and 30s that I eventually add to Facebook and Instagram.

Was college the last chance to do that?

Has the ship sailed?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:27 PM

268 posts, read 282,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran2 View Post
My facebook friends are at around 700 and my Instagram following is at around 500.

At times it has been brought up when we chat and I tell my coworkers that I was homeschooled and went to a D3 university.

Looking forward though, I do wonder if I missed the boat on getting that sort of a social media account.

I know options such as adding fake bots or getting a piece of software to give you fake followers who you don't even know exist but I want it to genuinely be a situation where I have met that many people in my 20s and 30s that I eventually add to Facebook and Instagram.

Was college the last chance to do that?

Has the ship sailed?
Honestly 700 and 500 are a lot imo, well maybe that is because I have less than 100 on mine.

Out of the 100 I probably talk to maybe 5 people.

If you are making contact with more than 700 or 500 people then you should be able to have higher numbers. I don't think college plays a role in that, it's about how many people you know and can add.

So at this point maybe you need to meet more people and add them or ask them to follow you.

You can do that online, doesn't have to be in person but honestly that just sounds like too much work. Why are your coworkers so concerned with how many people you have on social media?

I'd say don't waste your time stressing over this. Do friends and followers on social media really matter?

Old 09-23-2017, 05:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boran2 View Post
[b]I know social media discussions bring out the worst in people
... to the point that they are not allowed in this subforum:

Rules for this forum

Do not make any threads complaining about Facebook friends, Instagram, Twitter or any other Social media sites.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
The boat never sails on that, just depends on how you use it, and what it's used for.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:07 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
... to the point that they are not allowed in this subforum:

Rules for this forum

Do not make any threads complaining about Facebook friends, Instagram, Twitter or any other Social media sites.
Technically, the thread isn't complaining about FB friends, IG, Twitter or other social media.

It's interesting to note that the ole' sticky about NO social media threads is gone and this rule seems a bit relaxed.

To the point of the discussion, why is it so important to people to have a massive number of friends on social media? IME, that's when the drama starts. And I personally see no need to compare the size of my friends list to anyone else's. It's not a competition.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Technically, the thread isn't complaining about FB friends, IG, Twitter or other social media.

It's interesting to note that the ole' sticky about NO social media threads is gone and this rule seems a bit relaxed.

To the point of the discussion, why is it so important to people to have a massive number of friends on social media? IME, that's when the drama starts. And I personally see no need to compare the size of my friends list to anyone else's. It's not a competition.

For some reason it seems very important to some people, kind of the snob factor element perhaps, or keeping up with the joneses. I can see it's value if it's used to promote your business and build major connections.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,227 times
Yes I'm confused as to why this is important to you,we all want to feel valued but you are valuable as you are.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Yes I'm confused as to why this is important to you,we all want to feel valued but you are valuable as you are.
This was my question too. You can't judge someone on how many followers they have.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:54 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
See forum rules in the Sticky thread. The topic of social media is no longer permitted in this forum. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships