Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:05 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,477 times

Advertisements

At a certain age adolescents are embarrassed by their parents presence lol, I recall when my daughter was in middle school the moms would have to do a stealth drop off and pick up.. but was there anything legitimately with good reason your parents did to embarrass you.

Sadly one example I remember was my dad coming to pick me up from my first job one night intoxicated.

My mother tended to say some zingers-- the most recent one was she said "she doesn't think they had homosexuals when she was in college"-- one of my siblings told her to either catch up or don't speak in public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 01:35 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,605 times
From about 13-17 years old? Pretty much everything they did was embarrassing to me. My parents were fantastic people, highly involved in the community and in our lives. Too involved, for my taste back then. I wished that they would be like other kid's parents.....seldom seen or heard. Everyone knew them, everyone liked them. One example: at our Latin Club banquet one year, my dad showed up dressed like a Roman soldier and gave a speech, purporting to be a representative of Julius Caesar. The teachers just about melted on the spot.....they made him come back for several years and do it again. I was humiliated, absolutely humiliated. My life was over. I laugh about it now. I laugh about all the things he did. I miss him so much.

I really learned to appreciate how much interest they had in us and how much they were willing to sacrifice for our sakes.

In turn, I got to embarrass my own child. I remember coming home from work and finding a note on the table: "Mom, when you come to the game tonight, don't wear your green slacks and don't let Dad wear his brown shirt." Hey, there was nothing wrong with those green slacks or that brown shirt.....but to save the child from dying of humiliation, we didn't wear them.

My granddaughter, though......just couldn't seem to embarrass that kid. She took everything in stride.

Now, I'm looking forward to embarrassing my great-granddaughter. She's still a little young, but I have a few more years left.....

But back then? Nope.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:17 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
My parents were immigrants.....my Dad a Holocaust survivor. When I was 8 they finally had saved enough to buy a house. My Dad hand-built most of our furniture or bought things at the raw furniture store and stained them. And every weekend was spent grooming the lawn and gardening.

Next door was a rather crase family who were pretty rough folks. Sitting outside shirtless and drinking beer; parking their cars on the lawn, etc. One day my Dad was outside drinking a glass of lemonade and watching my little brother playing on his tricycle. The little girl from next door was playing with him, and her language was a string of filthy expletives. She was about 5 years old. My Dad walked over and poured his entire glass of lemonade over her head!!!!!

Yes, I was mortified.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:14 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,491 times
The embarrassment thing skips a generation. For the parents whose children now won't be seen with them in public, your grandchildren will think you're hilarious.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:46 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I have to think about this for a while. My son was constantly embarrassed. "Mom, do you have to wear that?"

It could have been lot worse.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:44 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Sadly one example I remember was my dad coming to pick me up from my first job one night intoxicated.
My father frequently drank while he drove. My most vivid memory of a road trip to the Midwest was that he tried to pass a car on a two-lane highway, misjudged the distance to the oncoming 18 wheeler, and we ended up in a pasture.

It wasn't embarrassing. It was terrifying. I used to beg him to slow down while driving around town and whoever else was in the car would tell me to shut up.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times
I think my mom humiliated me on purpose.

A few incidents I can think of....

1. At a cousin's b-day party, there was a pinita game with loads of candy. My mom thought I had too much and made me give some back in front of other people

2. At a Church festival, my mom was volunteering with tickets for children's games to play. I don't know what made her think I had stolen some tickets. So she checked my pockets in front of everyone and found nothing after I told her I had not taken any tickets without paying. I remember afterwards, taking off to the parking lot and cried

3. My mom treating my dad like a man-child. Seriously. It's sad n pathetic that my dad has put up with it for almost 40yrs.

I always felt like she was watching me like a hawk to nitpick on me and bring me down. She does the same to my father even in front of others. To this day, we don't have a close relationship. I keep her at arm's length.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times
I don't know where to begin...

My parents were way too young to have married and had children when they did. Ditto their parents. A book on what children naturally do and how to handle it during various stages of childhood might have done wonders. Too late for that now...

Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
My mother used to cry when we sang the national anthem in church. I could hear her sniffling and honking from several rows away. Of course I didn't sit with her!

Old 09-05-2017, 07:19 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
I'll reverse this with what i have done to my kid.

Mornings were absolute hell in my house with not getting up and ready for school. One day, in 5th grade, mom took her to school in her pajamas. Marched her right past the principal and into the classroom. It worked.

In high school I would be waiting an excessively long time for her to come out to the car line at dismissal. The kids waited in a covered breezeway that was in a shadow-they could see out but we could not see in. I was seeing a pattern of kids going to their cars in much further parts of the line when I was waiting right smack in front of the breezeway.

Finally figured out she was socializing while I waited needlessly in line. I told her the next time I have to wait I will park the car, go get you and we will hold hands back to the car.

Next day she was out so fast I didn't see her coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships