Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

I've done a lot of idiotic things, but this one was so bad that I'm embarrassed to write it down.

In 2004 I was in an airport with my daughter, who was about 6, waiting for a flight. This was a couple of years after 911 and the recordings were non-stop about not leaving your bags around and not accepting anything from a stranger. We were sitting in a restaurant and an employee came up to us and said, "Hey, someone left these stuffed animals here. Do you want one for your daughter?" I said, "Sure!" and took the animal, gave it to her to play with, and took it on the plane. When we got home I was telling my husband the story and he looked at me in horror. Only then did I realize just how stupid I had been.

Obviously, nothing bad came of it. But every time I think about hearing that recording over and over as I took a stuffed animal from a stranger in an airport, I cringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 03:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Oh where to start, where to start...

Ok first thing that popped into my head (before it was crowded with many, many other stupid things I've done) is this - and it's recent:

A few days ago I was crawling around in the attic getting out Christmas stuff. Now - we have a small area (HAD a small area) of the attic that wasn't floored. In fact, I stuck my foot through our kitchen ceiling a few years ago in that very spot. Do you think we bothered to floor that spot then? NO. Surely I wouldn't do it twice, right?

WRONG.

I tripped - just a bit, but that's all it took. Down I went - and put my foot right through our kitchen ceiling AGAIN.

So - had to call a repair guy. He not only repaired the kitchen ceiling, but he also put down flooring in that section of the attic! Ugh. Boring and stupid way to spend money at any time of the year, but especially at Christmas.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:08 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
In college one of my roommates and I decided to go visit some of our friends in our old dorm. For some reason we decided it would be a good idea to take a love seat out of the lounge area and take it to our house. We convinced some young men we knew to help us load it into my hatchback. Off we went with it. Managed to get it into the house.

A few days later we began getting calls from our dorm friends. The floor was going to have to pay for it, and they were all pretty mad-kind of threatened to turn us in unless it was returned. Our other roommates were mad because it was sitting in the living room. We snuck it back in late at night a few days later.

And yes, I ordered a Jane Fonda, infomercial, non-motorized treadmill. In my defense, I was up nursing a newborn for many nights watching the informercial. I was convinced it would help me get back into shape after the baby.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I once bought a piece of exercise equipment via tv from Bruce Jenner and wife. Found out yrs. later she was a Kardashian.

Gave my money to the KARDASHIANS!

OMG, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!

Old 12-01-2017, 04:40 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
ok, TRULY IDIOTIC...in high school, my friends and I thought it would be "fun" to drive down roads with one of us on the roof or on the hood. UGH!?!??! The idea that we did that still drives me crazy!! Thankfully, no one was hurt, but we certainly beat the odds there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
]

In 2004 I was in an airport with my daughter, who was about 6, waiting for a flight. This was a couple of years after 911 and the recordings were non-stop about not leaving your bags around and not accepting anything from a stranger. We were sitting in a restaurant and an employee came up to us and said, "Hey, someone left these stuffed animals here. Do you want one for your daughter?" I said, "Sure!" and took the animal, gave it to her to play with, and took it on the plane. When we got home I was telling my husband the story and he looked at me in horror. Only then did I realize just how stupid I had been.
I have a similar airport story. About 15 years ago, I had a layover at Chicago/ O'Hare in the Fall. As I was walking through a terminal, I saw a man with a tent that advertised flu shots for $25. Cool, I thought, because I hadn't gotten mine yet. I participated and went on my way.

It wasn't until I actually boarded my plane that I realized that I had just PAID a random stranger in an airport to inject a substance into my arm!!!!

We live and learn....

Old 12-01-2017, 04:57 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
KA, put your decorations on the ground floor for next year...

E=KathrynAragon;50280614]Oh where to start, where to start...

Ok first thing that popped into my head (before it was crowded with many, many other stupid things I've done) is this - and it's recent:

A few days ago I was crawling around in the attic getting out Christmas stuff. Now - we have a small area (HAD a small area) of the attic that wasn't floored. In fact, I stuck my foot through our kitchen ceiling a few years ago in that very spot. Do you think we bothered to floor that spot then? NO. Surely I wouldn't do it twice, right?

WRONG.

I tripped - just a bit, but that's all it took. Down I went - and put my foot right through our kitchen ceiling AGAIN.

So - had to call a repair guy. He not only repaired the kitchen ceiling, but he also put down flooring in that section of the attic! Ugh. Boring and stupid way to spend money at any time of the year, but especially at Christmas.[/quote]

Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 PM

And glad you lived to tell about it...

=spencgr;50281094]ok, TRULY IDIOTIC...in high school, my friends and I thought it would be "fun" to drive down roads with one of us on the roof or on the hood. UGH!?!??! The idea that we did that still drives me crazy!! Thankfully, no one was hurt, but we certainly beat the odds there.

I have a similar airport story. About 15 years ago, I had a layover at Chicago/ O'Hare in the Fall. As I was walking through a terminal, I saw a man with a tent that advertised flu shots for $25. Cool, I thought, because I hadn't gotten mine yet. I participated and went on my way.

It wasn't until I actually boarded my plane that I realized that I had just PAID a random stranger in an airport to inject a substance into my arm!!!!

We live and learn....

[/quote]

Old 12-01-2017, 05:00 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Jumped off a swing (age 9) after pumping my legs as hard as I could. My obnoxious little sister said, "Don't do it! You'll fall!" I scoffed at her, then landed on my arms, which are not designed to handle a full body impact from belly flopping at 25+ feet. The orthopedic surgeon said it was the worst elbow break he had ever seen

Old 12-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Good thing it ended, we could have lost you

=mortgageboss;50279761]In college, my buddies and I after a night of heavy drinking decided that there should be a sport called "shrub diving."

It involved in jumping out the dorm window onto the shrubbery, hoping the vegetation would catch our fall. It worked for the most part, but sometimes you would jump through the shrubs and land on hard concrete. Other pitfalls included shrubs with thorns.

The next day, numerous scratches, bruises and ruined clothing stopped the "sport" from progressing any further.[/quote]

Old 12-01-2017, 05:02 PM

If I did still have it, I'd destroy it.

=Nicci6Squirrels;50272576]One and done! No more barn jumping for this old gal.

I broke my ankle a few years later just by being my usual, graceful self. No daredevil stunts involved.

Do you still have your Kardashian-e-kwipment? Ha. That was awful.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships