Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

KatherineAragon,

I don't mind being alone, but I'm very lonely. Aside from my oldest daughter, there is really no one who thinks of me first. My mom is a narcissist...I'll have 3 fun filled days at her independent living village over Christmas while my kids are at their other grandparents. Then my daughters and I are going to NYC for a few days, our first vacation in years, but they bicker so much it isn't guaranteed we'll have a great time.

As for taking control of my own happiness...I've done many things over the years that are recommended, like volunteering, pursuing hobbies in order to meet like minded people. Online dating. Nothing has stuck. I'm very introverted. I can be lonely in a room full of people.

I'm finally in a stable job with great coworkers, but that hasn't morphed into weekend activities with them. My youngest is going to college next year, and I do have a few empty nester activities in mind but many days the loneliness really closes in.

One of the worst parts about the holidays is the expectation that because I am alone, I am somehow worse for it. I mind being alone on ordinary days. Holidays aren't really any worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, usually it's because they're Jewish.

Chinese food and movies are such typical Christmas Day activities for Jews that one day in the office a few years ago, I overheard a Jewish coworker kidding a Hindu coworker that with all the people from India moving into the area, the Jews now had to leave earlier to get a good seat at the movies on Christmas.
Not around here! Honey, I live in east Texas. Yes, we do have some Jewish folks around here but I would wager that most of the movie attendees here on Christmas Day are straight up Baptists.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I’m not single but I feel so alone and I’m really dreading this Christmas. I’ll be spending Christmas with in laws who were never interested in building new traditions. I had to fit into their old traditions, so it’s always them talking about christmases past and this and that person and me feeling like an outsider. My suggestions to bring a dish or introduce something new were frowned on because my mother in law couldn’t imagine a Christmas or holiday that didn’t have the foods SHE grew up with. Yes she actually said this and frowned and made faces when I had the nerve to suggest it. Same for thanksgiving. She has to be in control and can’t imagine anyone else hosting the holidays.

At the same time she goes through all this trouble to make foods no one really likes but are to afraid to say anything and then she gets upset that the Christmas, thanksgiving, whatever isn’t the way she remembers. One year on Christmas Eve she griped the whole night about the meal and it was uncomfortable. And we are expected to do Christmas Eve AND day. Yeah that may have been fine when growing up and everyone was living in the same house but people have grown up and moved on. And yet she does the same thing every year although I’ve suggested other things. Wash, rinse, repeat. Anyway, I’ve bowed out of Christmas Eve this year. I just can’t do both this year and Christmas Eve menu has about zero I can eat without feeling gross. It will be awkward but oh well, gotta start somewhere.

Please let the New Year get here quickly.
I think you and your mate should host a holiday extravaganza at your own house next year! Who knows - you may have more folks than you think to show up.

You do not have to show up at her place - not for both holidays (and Christmas Eve thrown in for good measure). I mean, you really, really don't. Life is short - make your own traditions.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:04 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
You and your SO could start your own Christmas Eve traditions...(glad you stood your ground).

Have your own little feast on the eve...just things you top like...and limit your time there on Christmas Day.

I had a controlling MIL and understand exactly how you feel about the holidays. Remember she won't always be around.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:04 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
I think what bothers me more than not getting invitations for the holidays (I know everyone is busy with their own family) is no one even bothering to ask IF I have any place to go for the holidays. It's like after my husband died I just dropped off the radar screen of everyone I was related to through him.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think you and your mate should host a holiday extravaganza at your own house next year! Who knows - you may have more folks than you think to show up.

You do not have to show up at her place - not for both holidays (and Christmas Eve thrown in for good measure). I mean, you really, really don't. Life is short - make your own traditions.
We have done that and our own holidays to be greeted later by passive aggressive punishment. I've checked out. Just waiting for Dec 26 lol

Old 12-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
We have done that and our own holidays to be greeted later by passive aggressive punishment. I've checked out. Just waiting for Dec 26 lol
I have two words for you: healthy boundaries.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i got my dog

Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,939 times
Well I thought I would tell you guys... I got a schnauzer for Christmas! I kept going back n forth on whether to get a dog or not, but I did it! I looked around for a while but they were so expensive. Then finally someone got back to me and said they had one and he wasn't too expensive. He's a year and a half old and his name is Happy I know this thread is about being alone but this has just made me so happy. The moment I saw him I cried and I have cried two more times after that, which is embarrassing lol.

I'm just so grateful to God right now and can't believe how He chose to bless me. I have felt so lonely these past few months and Happy has made me feel things again. He's perfect and so far such a good dog! He enjoys milkbones and loves to nap in the bed. I've had him for two days and he's just so great.

Thought I might share that w/ all of you.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have two words for you: healthy boundaries.
Well, not attending Christmas Eve is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships