Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times

Advertisements

If it's good enough for Bowie . . .

(hey, man!)

https://youtu.be/zLnPd7lzT4g
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 11:16 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm 57, male and a bit fussy and critical, perhaps?

I just listened to a Boston Celtics post-game show, and a player uttered numerous times the word "man." "Man...
it was a tough game." Or, "I hear ya, man." Or, "no problem, man." Even the host uttered the word.

Is it a 'bro thing? A cool thing? Primarily a black person thing (though many Whites and Hispanics certainly say it). A lower class or low class mannerism?

Am I the only one bothered by it? I expect a lot of responses will be nasty toward me, defending it as a normal, cool, friendly, fun manner of speech.

Would an educated woman, young or old, be impressed with a guy on a first date talking like this? Females do not say it?
(1) I hate it when people use the word "ghetto" as an adjective.

(2) I hate it when people use the word "female" as a noun when referring to a human being. (Notice how you didn't use the word "male" when you were referring to a man?)

Old 12-29-2017, 11:43 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

(2) I hate it when people use the word "female" as a noun when referring to a human being. (Notice how you didn't use the word "male" when you were referring to a man?)
Yep, not hard to infer that he equates referring to something as ghetto as saying it's not only black but lower class. OCD is not an excuse for that.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

I just listened to a Boston Celtics post-game show, and a player uttered numerous times the word "man." "Man...
it was a tough game." Or, "I hear ya, man." Or, "no problem, man." Even the host uttered the word.

Is it a 'bro thing? A cool thing? Primarily a black person thing (though many Whites and Hispanics certainly say it). A lower class or low class mannerism?

Am I the only one bothered by it? I expect a lot of responses will be nasty toward me, defending it as a normal, cool, friendly, fun manner of speech.

Would an educated woman, young or old, be impressed with a guy on a first date talking like this? Females do not say it?

Even educated talk show hosts sometimes say it. A friend, my age, complains about a 60-year old Boston talk show host who says it at times (the host is otherwise very cultured!). My few friends don't say it.

Geez, just heard another player say it on a different sports station! And just now, a seemingly white male host, just said "its toxic, man." I agree the latter is likely more educated and accomplished than I.

I follow the NHL and don't find hockey players using it.

This is worse than saying "like" all the time!?

By the way, OP, punctuation and grammatical errors bug the heck out of me. Do they indicate a lower class or low class mentality? A lower education? Some sort of mental weakness? I don't know, but your post is chock full of 'em. I've highlighted them for you to mull over.

Hey, man, if you're interested in correcting these mannerisms of writing in the future, just let me know and I'll give you a hand. I'm sure you don't want to come across as low class.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
It's a habit. Good, bad or otherwise. If you know what someone is trying to communicate to you, why quibble over vernacular? Communicate, relate, appreciate. Life's too short to be aggravated over the speaking habits of others. If I know what they mean to say, I don't bother correcting or critiquing them unless invited to do so. Heaven knows I'm not perfect. (though I realize I must seem so on c-d LOLOLOL)

Old 12-30-2017, 07:58 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Saying "dude" or "man" in and of itself is not what was drawing the ire of the OP
It was the unceasing interjection into conversation
This is more than using a "vernacular" piece of slang
It is part of the creating of language in the mind in the process of speaking...
And it can happen with any level of education--or race---although most better educated/successful people train themselves out of it if they had it...
It is a learned response to a speaking pattern...
I was actually replying to a different post not the OP with my response. But thanks for clarifying the obvious.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:13 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:

Even educated talk show hosts sometimes say it. A friend, my age, complains about a 60-year old Boston talk show host who says it at times (the host is otherwise very cultured!). My few friends don't say it.

Geez, just heard another player say it on a different sports station! And just now, a seemingly white male host, just said "its toxic, man." I agree the latter is likely more educated and accomplished than I.

I follow the NHL and don't find hockey players using it.

This is worse than saying "like" all the time!?
No, it's just a "casual", colloquial, "I'm comfortable with you" kind of thing. It's only irritating if it is every sentence...or said to females - it's really just a "bro" thing.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By the way, OP, punctuation and grammatical errors bug the heck out of me. Do they indicate a lower class or low class mentality? A lower education? Some sort of mental weakness? I don't know, but your post is chock full of 'em. I've highlighted them for you to mull over.

Hey, man, if you're interested in correcting these mannerisms of writing in the future, just let me know and I'll give you a hand. I'm sure you don't want to come across as low class.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:42 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You're 57 and you're just hearing this?

Where have you been, man? Under a rock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships