Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:54 PM

29 posts, read 25,037 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Today I found out that a wacky neighbor posted an ongoing issue we have had in a town social media forum. She posted the issue and than posted my address. There have been several noise complaints about them from myself and others in the neighborhood. Unfortunately she has taken it to the extreme. We both own homes. She has a two family. Today I was notified that she posted my address in the social media forum for anyone that follows that forum to see. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do legally? She does not know that I know and I refuse to have any contact with her because she has proven to be unstable. help!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
I would confront them directly and demand that the address be removed immediately.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I would confront them directly and demand that the address be removed immediately.
Cant do that. We have been advised by police not to contact one another. They have been nasty since day one.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:38 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
Hi there,

Today I found out that a wacky neighbor posted an ongoing issue we have had in a town social media forum. She posted the issue and than posted my address. There have been several noise complaints about them from myself and others in the neighborhood. Unfortunately she has taken it to the extreme. We both own homes. She has a two family. Today I was notified that she posted my address in the social media forum for anyone that follows that forum to see. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do legally? She does not know that I know and I refuse to have any contact with her because she has proven to be unstable. help!
Contact the moderator / owner of the social media forum and request that your personal information be immediately removed and that the person who posted your personal information be permanently removed from the site.

If it's not Facebook, go to https://www.whois.com/ to find the name of the site owner.

Legally, I doubt there's much you can do, but that would depend on the local laws.

You need to emphasize safety. If the police are already aware of the conflict, you need to notify them that although she did not contact you, she has placed your safety in jeopardy by publishing your personal information.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:00 PM

3,254 posts, read 2,341,436 times
Yes, the site owner/site moderator to remove the address. I'm sure they will.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 AM

136 posts, read 98,578 times
I would also take a screen shot of it if possible to keep as evidence of harassment if needed.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:12 AM

I did and I also sent them a message that they need to remove it but they can ignored my message and it is still up. Is this worth going to the police?

Old 01-22-2018, 05:22 AM

776 posts, read 956,698 times
If you think that your home address is a secret.....You are really ill informed.

It's public knowledge. Don't think so ?

Driver's licence and vehicle registration contain your home address. Town or city tax rolls. Utility bills. Telephone listings, shall I go on ?

Any person with an interest can find that information easily.

XXX.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
If you think that your home address is a secret.....You are really ill informed.

It's public knowledge. Don't think so ?

Driver's licence and vehicle registration contain your home address. Town or city tax rolls. Utility bills. Telephone listings, shall I go on ?

Any person with an interest can find that information easily.

XXX.
It’s the context in which it was used. It was put out there with all other kinds of adjectives for how she wants to describe me. Saying things that would hurt my reputation that are untrue and hurtful in nature.

If she was just talking about me but didn’t mention my name or my address I wouldn’t have a problem with it but she posted all of my information

Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaSun View Post
It’s the context in which it was used. It was put out there with all other kinds of adjectives for how she wants to describe me. Saying things that would hurt my reputation that are untrue and hurtful in nature.

If she was just talking about me but didn’t mention my name or my address I wouldn’t have a problem with it but she posted all of my information
So it's libel which is illegal.

Take a screen shot for evidence. Contact an attorney, and have them write a cease and desist letter. An attorney will usually do this for a small fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships