Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:24 AM

216 posts, read 213,099 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing a physical therapist for a work injury. I don't always see the same therapist each time. However there is this one therapist who seems to be a bit odd, and I'm unsure why? I know it's not on account of anything I've ever said. She seems to be very talkative with other patients, except with me. Maybe I smell? Maybe I remind her of someone she dislikes? But I don't think that's it... She's very professional, almost too professional when she does speak with me. She'll set the weights for the exercise she wishes me to do. Yet, on a couple of instances she'd say aloud "Oh, your a man so I'll set them a bit more". Now, I'm pretty sure she and I both know my gender, LOL. And that wouldn't be odd, except none of the other trainers have once mentioned aloud to me, about needing to give me more weights on account of me being a man. Also there has been times she'd walk over and tell another trainer whom I'm working with, that I need to do this exercise. That too wouldn't be odd, except she's not a supervisor and when she says it. She doesn't even acknowledge I'm standing right there in front of her. It's almost like she can't even look at me and that does strike me as bizarre. I've seen her walk up to another trainer, whom I happen to be working with and hear her say to them, how's she been reading up on my particular injury. Why should she have to say that? These other trainers have my file, their fully aware of my injury and how to treat it. I once seen her from across the room talking to another trainer about something she said to me. Except this had nothing to do with my injury and sharing a chat with a co-worker doesn't require my name being mentioned. Yet she said my name and in doing so gave me a long gaze in doing so. She seems to be a very outgoing talkative type person, except not so much around me. Something about me seems to make her uncomfortable because unlike the other trainers, she will hardly stay in my presence or speak to me. What's up with this? Is she a bad trainer? Should I request to not be assigned to her in the future? Other than her being so different around me than other patients I really have no complaint. I honestly can say despite that I feel she has actually given me the right kind of exercises that have helped me the most with my injury.

One day while setting up another appointment. I jokingly made comment to the desk girls, I din't know you assigned particular patients to trainers. I thought you just put the file in the basket and each trainer just picked out their victim, LOL. One of the Trainers happened to be behind the desk smiled and laughed at my joke. She nodded in acknowledgment in fact they do pick who they want to take as a patient. I said I can understand there, there is customers I like and one's I don't. Which begs the question if this one trainer is so uncomfortable with me, and won't hardly speak to me, then why does she keep taking me as a patient.? That seems odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Dude. Stop overthinking. They are paid to do a job. They do their job. If they do a good job, keep using them. If they do not, don't. Simple. Stop living a life of analyzing every little thing, its crippling and no fun.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
I don't think this is worth over thinking about. If it brothers you, request someone else. There's no way to know how she feels unless you ask. However, in this situation it's inappropriate. She's just there to do her job.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,600 times
She might have some sort of crush on you or something.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
Out of curiosity, why did you post this in the Relationships forum?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:10 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I wouldn't make a habit of trusting your own assessments of what people are feeling or thinking. You are extremely likely to be wrong.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
It could be anything:

-attracted to you
-creeped out by you
-just doesn't like you for some reason
-you smell

etc.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:10 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
you are overthinking. Don't make your life more difficult with those thoughts.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Dude. Stop overthinking. They are paid to do a job. They do their job. If they do a good job, keep using them. If they do not, don't. Simple. Stop living a life of analyzing every little thing, its crippling and no fun.
After working in therapy sales for almost 30 years, all I can tell you is to listen to timberline.

If you like em, stay. If not, find another group

Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM

216 posts, read 213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you post this in the Relationships forum?
My error, I thought this was the non-relationship forum... Oops, Sorry.

I've spoken to a couple of people I know about this. I've also researched professional etiquette in that field. Based on this and what some of you have said, then yes I definitely should fire her. She's not doing her job, least wise not according to the code of ethics published by the APTA.

I was only asking here perhaps thinking I might be wrong and trying very hard to give her the benefit of doubt. I wouldn't mind if she disliked me, most everyone does, that would at least explain it. I'm not the most handsomest dude to look at, that I know. And I'm sure there might have been a few times at the end of the day I wasn't smelling like roses. But I probably smelled better than the gas her patients passed while she was aiding them in leg stretches [yes that really does happen]. On a few occasions I've had to do my therapy right after getting off from work. Most times I've scheduled it for days when I'm off from work and I'm freshly showered. So being stinky probably isn't the issue.

I know everyone is different, but when you're there to do a job, being standoffish isn't really building a rapport with your patient. She seems almost frighten to speak to me, and I've been nothing but kind and friendly with her. So, it puzzles the heck out of me, I've never seen anyone really act like that. And she seems to only behave that way with me from several observations I've made. I thought maybe it was just her personality or something? But no she'll chat up a storm with everyone else and see to their needs. With me she just says go do some dumbbell weights or go bounce that ball off the wall. At the end of the session, she don't ask if I need any ice or heat like she does with her other patients. She won't even hardly look at me , this isn't how she is with her other patients.

Anyway I'm not going to give her bad remarks or say anything to her employer. What exercises she has had me do have been a great deal more help, than what the other physical therapist have had me do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships