Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful comments. Just to update everyone, my husband and I decided to loan my niece the money today for the abortion. She is about nine weeks along and has started to consult abortion providers. She wants to get the abortion done within the next two weeks. I will be driving her to the abortion clinic for emotional support. We are hoping for the best. All I am doing now is waiting for her to call me when she is ready.

The bf and his family are still against but at this point there is no convincing them and I am ignoring their calls/messages as is my sister.
BTW, I also want to commend you for taking the comments here in stride. It's such a touchy subject, and there have been some strongly opinionated responses from all directions, and you haven't gotten defensive or snarky, as often happens on CD.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The problem, of course, is that the discussion of whether or not to have sex outside of marriage, and what to do if an unplanned pregnancy should occur, should have happened BEFORE these two young people decided to play hide the sausage. It’s too late for it now.
Yes ... it's always "too late" for millions upon millions of "baby momma's" who are indoctrinated from birth by the notion that sex is only a playful part (and 'automatic right') in in every relationship;' - and that unplanned pregnancies are only a minor inconvenience to be easily resolved, rather than avoided.

Our corrupt society promotes this immoral notion, but, parents and families who love their children, should not.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm sure you'll find this opinion equally unpopular, but this is the WRONG reason to get married, if they aren't sure that they want to be married. Both for the parents and for the baby. Imagine knowing that your parents submitted to an unhappy marriage because of you.
So, abortion or raising children in broken, poverty-ridden homes is preferable to marriage? The approval of 'blameless, no consequence' sex and babies outside of marriage is a deceptive lie that destroys lives.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Yes ... it's always "too late" for millions upon millions of "baby momma's" who are indoctrinated from birth by the notion that sex is only a playful part (and 'automatic right') in in every relationship;' - and that unplanned pregnancies are only a minor inconvenience to be easily resolved, rather than avoided.

Our corrupt society promotes this immoral notion, but, parents and families who love their children, should not.
Let's be clear: neither you nor I have any idea what the parents of these two young people tried to teach them with regards to sexual activity. And at ages 19 and 21, nether set of parents have any real control over their behavior, either.

Even in the days when sex prior to marriage was strongly stigmatized and unwed motherhood was seen as shameful and children of unwed parents were openly called bastards, pregnancies before marriage were not rare. Hormonal drives are strong, and some young people (regardless of what their elders have tried to teach them) have always thought with their crotches first and their brains second. It's simply the human condition.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/51579181-post105.html

Plus, there was a thread about abortion where numerous posters were saying unwanted pregnancies wouldn't be an issue if women learned to keep their legs together. Yet, others point out why men don't consider NOT having sex with these women. The point was lost on them.
There is nothing in the referenced post that is a double standard. There is simply a recognition of the serious health risks a woman may face in childbirth. Nothing in that post absolves men of anything.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
What double standard...... (yeah, we've "exchanged" these blows before)
If you believe it not to be a double standard, by all means - explain why.

Quote:
Women are often left to bear the brunt of childbirth. Men have run off, leaving the woman to fend for herself.
And women have left their babies on church steps and in trash cans and run off. Men don’t have the corner on the market of abandoning their children.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:09 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
this is none of your business, nor is it ours...this is up to your niece and her boyfriend.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you believe it not to be a double standard, by all means - explain why.

And women have left their babies on church steps and in trash cans and run off. Men don’t have the corner on the market of abandoning their children.
Pretty much they do, TaxPhd.

MANY fewer mothers abandon their children than fathers. MANY.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
OP Consider this.

She may end up regretting this for many reasons.

Blaming you for being johnny-on-the-spot with the money for this abortion will be a choice for her.

You should not be involved period.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
MANY fewer mothers abandon their children than fathers. MANY.
And then these mothers who are raising their kid and making the best of a bad situation get labeled with the "baby momma" criticism and stigma, while the baby daddies are out in the world doing who knows what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships