Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Advertisements

A doctor and a lawyer were at a party, complaining about patients/clients who cross the line.

The Doctor: "I can't believe my patients sometimes. A person just spent the last 10 minutes asking me about medicine interactions for their medical condition.

The Lawyer: "Wow. That seems excessive."

The Doctor: "I can remember last year a woman dragged me into a guest bedroom and pulled up her blouse to ask me if she should see a doctor about a skin condition on her chest."

The Lawyer: "Wow. That seems excessive."

The Doctor: "How about you? Do people ever ask you for legal advice while you're at a party? How do you handle it?"

The Lawyer: "I give them legal advice, and then I send them a bill for my legal services."

The Doctor: "That's a great idea."

The following week, The Doctor opened his mail, and found a bill for $250 for legal services from The Lawyer rendered at the party.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 PM

219 posts, read 157,755 times
I'm a chef, so it's a frequent occurrence to get food-related queries from friends, relatives, acquaintances, and neighbors. The only time I mind work-related questions is when I'm trying to enjoy a meal that I didn't prepare--especially when out at a restaurant. Usually a gentle reminder that I'm not at the table to review the meal, but to enjoy food not hastily consumed over a trashcan makes my fellow diners leave me in peace.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 PM

14,487 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Is there such a thing as "personal time"?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
I worked for a large national health insurance company for years. Occasionally, I'd make the mistake of forgetting to take off my name badge when I left work. Bad mistake. I've been literally pinned up against the produce counter by someone who wants to know WHY THEIR PROCEDURE WASN'T APPROVED or to hear HOW BAD MY COMPANY WAS.

I tried hard not to make that mistake often.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:34 PM

924 posts, read 752,195 times
A story from when I worked as the church secretary...

When my brother and his wife were planning their wedding, they decided to have it at the church. I had told my mom that i was willing to help out however I could, but that I was NOT going to be providing "after-hours access to church buildings". (just too many ways that could get taken advantage of.) Mom seemed to understand what I was saying, and was fine with that.

However, about a month or two prior to the wedding date, Mom informed me that I needed to be available the day before the wedding, so that I could come and unlock doors whenever my brother, his wife, and their friends planned to come decorate. (basically, I was supposed to sit around and be "on-call").

Not trying to sound petty, but there were various reasons why I didn't want to do that, and Mom got really upset/annoyed with me about it. (it was something she expected me to do, neither my brother nor his wife ever mentioned it)

Anyhow, I don't remember who ended up providing access to the church buildings, but I do remember that during the wedding reception, different people came up to me and asked office-related questions......I guess they forgot that I was NOT there in "church secretary capacity".

Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 AM

604 posts, read 839,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When I lived in Maine, there was a mechanic who did such a good, honest job for everyone, that he would be swarmed whenever he went into the grocery store. People came flying up to him to ask car related questions. I felt kind of bad, but at the same time, they literally treated him like a celebrity, and he at least appeared to enjoy the attention. He was a very laid back guy, hilarious as anyone I've ever met, and so friendly to all. The first time that I walked into this place of business, he treated me like a long lost friend - clearly he did that for everyone else, because everyone loved this guy.

I understand it can make you feel annoyed or put out, but when that happens to me, I try to remember that mechanic in Maine and how he took it all with great interest and humor. That's why everyone loved that guy, as well as the fact that he was probably the only decent, honest mechanic in the area.

Just take it in stride, and know that when they "got a question for ya", it's because they respect your opinion. It's a lot better than being completely ignored.

grass/fence/greener grass

They are going to do it no matter what, have fun with it.
Unfortunately, they don't ask me questions because they respect my opinion. They ask me questions because they won't read or reference information provided to them in a variety of ways. They skim emails and yet when they miss a deadline or miss important information they often blame me. "You didn't tell me that." (Keep in mind I'm dealing with hundreds of team coordinators.)

Again let me clearly state that I don't mind answering legitimate questions or concerns. Of course, there will always be unusual situations that come up. But these are not life and death situations such as a doctor may deal with. And I am not an expert on something technical like a mechanic. People are merely asking questions because they didn't read information that was posted or emailed to them. If I get stopped in the grocery store and forced to listen to a 15-30 minute rant while I'm trying to gracefully do my job and make an exit, and then get home and try to wolf down dinner so that I can make a 7PM conference call.......yes that frustrates me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships