Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

So does this mean we're allowed to talk about social media and even [***glances left, glances right, whispers***] Facebook in this forum now? There's no longer a sticky saying we can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:16 AM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It matters to me. I don't like hurting anyone's feelings even if I don't know them. I don't view strangers as unimportant. I mean I'm not obsessing over what everyone thinks of me all the time, but I generally want to be a nice person to other people. I have 479 FB friends...but that's down some, it used to be over 600. Most related to that band, and most people I didn't know or barely knew. But some of them, I would meet when we all went to festivals and such and some were really cool people, and the first connection with some who went on to become amazing friends, was through social media.

But I'm a very extroverted person for the most part, there have been times I've said that a stranger is just a friend I haven't made yet.

I guess I'm questioning it now because I've been fading out of my former community and getting more involved in a new one.
But you're assuming that if you unfriend strangers they'll have hurt feelings, when they could just as easily not care, or not notice.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
So does this mean we're allowed to talk about social media and even [***glances left, glances right, whispers***] Facebook in this forum now? There's no longer a sticky saying we can't.
Hm...I don't remember the policy, but I've been trying not to name names s'much, just saying "social media" in the general sense. If I am out of line, and the thread goes away, I can accept being wrong and I won't be fussy about it. I did not see where anything said that this wasn't ok...and it is about managing non-romantic relationship connections. Or...choosing not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
But you're assuming that if you unfriend strangers they'll have hurt feelings, when they could just as easily not care, or not notice.
Well, that was sort of the question. But you've got a good point, and optimally, that's exactly how it would go. Optimally, they wouldn't even notice.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I can understand unfriending people or purging your list...but I find the people who make a public display of it, announcing it, and making such a big deal over it....seems over the top to me, it seems childish and like they are desperate for attention. That's just my take on it.
I think that's everyone's take on it; mine included.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Right! There was time that any mention of Facebook was instantly censored.

On a possibly completely different subject, I haven't seen any posts by Pjsinger in a long time. Anyone?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Right! There was time that any mention of Facebook was instantly censored.

On a possibly completely different subject, I haven't seen any posts by Pjsinger in a long time. Anyone?

She changed her name. Come to your own conclusions about that.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
I would never announce it. It's so stinkin' dramatic. A friend of mine... one I knew from kindergarten through high school... deleted me from her friends list. And then sent me a friend request a week later, which I accepted. Figured maybe she was having a bad day or something. And then she unfriended me AGAIN while I was at my lowest- my husband was in the ICU, dealing with post-surgical complications from cancer surgery. It was then that I decided that I would simply block her. But I feel no need to ask questions or make announcements. Once I started thinking about, I realized I never really liked her in the first place. She's super-dramatic and posts stuff like, "Oh, underestimate me! That'll be fun!" But she doesn't actually DO anything of note.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:30 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
So I get annoyed when people announce on social media that they are purging their friends list. I'm like, "good for you, who cares?" Of course these announcements seem to take these huffy tones as though they're suddenly realizing that they intensely dislike most of their "friends."

But lately on a couple of sites, I keep seeing stuff from people and thinking, "Who are you? Do I even actually know you? Why are we friends?" I imagine there was a reason when I accepted their friend request, but I can't remember now...and surely we haven't talked for ages, if I can't remember who they are?

I've never "purged" my friends on social media. And I feel kinda like I should. But I'm also afraid I'll hurt someone's feelings, someone I don't dislike, and they'll wonder why I unfriended them, think I don't like them anymore, or I'll have to admit, "I just really can't remember who you even are. Sorry." It's awkward. I'm not sure if I should.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this business of purging one's friends? Anyone ever do it and then regret doing it, or upset somebody?

Mind you I'm not talking about the kind of people whose posts actually really annoy me or anyone who turned out to be a jerk. I've already unfollowed or unfriended such people. I'm just talking about the seemingly random people I have no idea why I'm still connected to, or even why I was in the first place sometimes. Man, I might even have 1 or 2 from the days, over a decade ago, of a certain farm game I won't admit to having played...in which I certainly did NOT end up with an entire farm full of Halloween themed bits of nonsense. I admit nothing!
I think about this sometimes, too. I have a lot of people I added for a certain other game. Some of them became actual friends, but some I don't even remember, and I suspect there are some who don't remember me.

I don't want to hurt anyone, but I would like to pare down my friends list to people with whom I actually interact.

I can't really give you an answer, but I can offer you my sympathy, as I try to figure this out myself.

As for announcing an impending purge, may I offer a slightly different take? What if the person is making said announcement to offer people who would truly like to keep in touch, even if rarely, an opportunity to speak up? It may not be the case every time someone does this, but it is a possibility.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 05-05-2018 at 03:42 AM..

Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Yes, it's OK to talk about social media now. (I asked). I hope this doesn't lead to a renaissance of sweet young things posting "she unfriended me but then she talked about me on twitter and idk if she likes me or not should i send her an im or comment on her instagram pics?"

I have 2 friends on FB that I have never met in IRL - one related to a friend, one related to a relative. I don't understand the having 479 FB friends - doesn't all their stuff clog up your feed something awful?

I have on FB my name, no location, incorrect birthday (not public anyway), incorrect status info (married). I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know, even if we have mutual friends.

Also there are NO public identifiable pictures of me anywhere on the Web and I like it like that. Not a fan of selfies here.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Yes, it's OK to talk about social media now. (I asked). I hope this doesn't lead to a renaissance of sweet young things posting "she unfriended me but then she talked about me on twitter and idk if she likes me or not should i send her an im or comment on her instagram pics?"

I have 2 friends on FB that I have never met in IRL - one related to a friend, one related to a relative. I don't understand the having 479 FB friends - doesn't all their stuff clog up your feed something awful?

I have on FB my name, no location, incorrect birthday (not public anyway), incorrect status info (married). I don't accept friend requests from people I don't know, even if we have mutual friends.

Also there are NO public identifiable pictures of me anywhere on the Web and I like it like that. Not a fan of selfies here.
HA HA HA! I hope not too re the bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships