Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

Studies have proven that Facebook actually makes people feel worse about their own lives since everyone seems to be having a great time out there, but when you're not, do you a) withdraw from social media, b) post "memories" from happier times, c) fake it till you make it, or d) post confessionals, baring your soul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:37 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
I don't mind when people have a great time, happy for them.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:14 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,910 times
If I am going through stuff I typically withdraw from social media. Heck, sometimes I just want a break and take one. I go on FB mostly for the memes, to be nosey, and out of pure habit. I'd say I am most active on, and enjoy, Twitter. C-D is the only forum I am part of.

Social media has been a thing in my life since a young teen, but it has grown so much. I can admit it does sometimes make me feel crappy about my own life. However, I recognize that it's totally silly and means I need to step back and reflect.

Everybody has good and bad in life, social media tends to tell one side. It's good to remember that.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:27 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Never been interested in social media! I used to have FB but only to check on others without making any contacts.

Happiness comes and goes....enjoy when you can and be glad for others.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,536 times
I understand why it makes people depressed. But I also think posting materials from vacations and good times is what FB is really about.

Before FB we had an online album that we sent out to relatives with pics from vacation. What else are you going to post? Pics of daily traffic? Pics of your cubicle?

if we go on vacation and dont upload pics, my relatives send me a message and ask me why we haven’t uploded any.

The difference is that a lot more people see that stuff now. And with an increase in numbers, there is a chance that more people who are going through some tough times see the happy pics and get affected.

I dont get annoyed when people post things that make them look happy to others. I know couples who have bad relationships and post about how much they love each other. They are struggling and unhappy. Why not let them feel some joy by having some people they haven’t seen in years help them escape reality via a “likeâ€.

Personally, I think that if I was in a bad place in my life I wouldn’t use facebook. It is hard to see all the happiness when you are miserable and it will only make it worse.

But, luckily, I am not so it doesn’t bother me.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Studies have proven that Facebook actually makes people feel worse about their own lives since everyone seems to be having a great time out there, but when you're not, do you a) withdraw from social media, b) post "memories" from happier times, c) fake it till you make it, or d) post confessionals, baring your soul?

"Studies" can prove pretty much anything you want them to.

The people I'm friends with on FB are real ... they don't just post the fake good stuff. They share the good, the bad, and the ugly. The way friendships should be.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I don't base my value off of others' airbrushed Facebook lives.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:23 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
e) Realize they aren't having such a great time out there because if they were they wouldn't have time to post.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:59 PM

17,318 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
I know someone that is a social media "superstar"......lifestyles of the rich and famous! Range Rover, boating in the Bahamas, charity events in the Hamptons, etc.

Yet 2 weeks ago she was 100 miles from home with no money, car out of gas and she had to get money put in her account to buy gas to get home......Sometimes all the flash doesn't equal all the cash!

Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Luckily for me, I'm not on FB.

But if I were, I would post the barest minimum of anything. Anyone who would post a confession of anything is a moron.

I think withdrawing is a good idea, but I doubt most people would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships