Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:51 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,021 times

Advertisements

I think it's okay to help someone temporarily when a family member or friend is suffering a lengthy illness or sudden job loss. This is different.

Although, some may say it's none of my business when someone mooches off their parents or another friend because they want to keep up a certain lifestyle, hobbies or have no common sense how to budget their money.

I can't help feeling resentful and thinking they need to grow up. I have one friend who has such low self-esteem, he allows his roommate friend and others mooch off of him. It's so bad that he is in deep dog poo well over 15K. I've tried talking to him and it had done nothing. That friend is putting himself at risk for future financial elder abuse. The same friend has confided that his elderly father has bailed him out at times financially so his father is only enabling his money problems and allowing others mooch off of him.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 08-27-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 01:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I think it's okay to help someone temporarily when a family member or friend is suffering a lengthy illness or sudden job loss. This is different.

Although, some may say it's none of my business when someone mooches off their parents or another friend because they want to keep up a certain lifestyle, hobbies or have no common sense how to budget their money.

I can't help feeling resentful and thinking they need to grow up. I have one friend who has such low self-esteem, he allows his roommate friend and others mooch off of him. It's so bad that he is in deep dog poo well over 15K. I've tried talking to him and it had done nothing. That friend is putting himself at risk for future financial elder abuse. The same friend has confided that his elderly father has bailed him out at times financially so his father is only enabling his money problems and allowing others mooch off of him.
I would not be friends with or hang out with, anyone over 24 that was not financially independent of mommy and daddy. That includes living with their parents after college age. You are who you surround yourself with, or "you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with." I don't surround myself with losers.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
I've only seen it once, with a cousin who would mooch off my aunt. It clearly made her uncomfortable but she always gave in, at least when I was around.

Eventually he got a job, moved out and got married. He was still a newlywed when a co-worker decided to commit suicide and take some other people with him by setting off an explosion.

My aunt had a heart attack when she heard the news. She was never really the same after that. Tragic.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I would not be friends with or hang out with, anyone over 24 that was not financially independent of mommy and daddy. That includes living with their parents after college age. You are who you surround yourself with, or "you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with." I don't surround myself with losers.
Yes, I've heard that phrases and ones that are similar such as "Birds of a Feather Flock Together" So very true. Since my friend wan't living with his father, I didn't know until after a few years after knowing him when he was telling me about how his father helps him buy his home, car, and even pay his bills. My friend works so I didn't even suspect it. I do think he has some underlying mental issues going on. Not making excuses, just by his behavior and how he acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've only seen it once, with a cousin who would mooch off my aunt. It clearly made her uncomfortable but she always gave in, at least when I was around.

Eventually he got a job, moved out and got married. He was still a newlywed when a co-worker decided to commit suicide and take some other people with him by setting off an explosion.

My aunt had a heart attack when she heard the news. She was never really the same after that. Tragic.
Oh my words, so sorry that happened to your cousin. What a sad ending.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
I usually don’t hang around people brag in real life or on fb, and would not be friends with someone who mooches off anyone,let alone brag about it.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,353 times
You avoid people like that hands down!

Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
Aren't you unemployed and living at home with your family, OP?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
I made the mistake of keeping moochers in my circle several years ago. And I'm not talking about ones that were just down on their luck short term; I'm referring to the ones who continually came up with excuses to not get their crap together.

Best advice is to find better friends. Even if you're hanging solo for a while; it's better than spending time with losers who will drag you down.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:44 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Who we have as friends is a reflection on us, so I wouldn't ever want anyone in my life who brags about leaching off of others, ESPECIALLY their own parents.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:54 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
It depends upon how much fun they are to hang out with.

They wouldn't get any "loans" from me and my very generous, but financially responsible, friends would cut them off really quickly.

There is a lack of maturity in the mooching lifestyle that would not fit in with my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships