Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:31 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
When we are renters or visitors, we strip the beds, collect the dirty towels to the laundry, take out the trash, wipe the kitchen counters down, do or help with the dishes and I might sweep if we dirty the floor, but NEVER would I clean the bathtub or shower.
That's something a guest just isn't expected to do.
Same here. I stayed at 5 or 6 airbnbs over the summer. At each one, we did all the things you did. Gather up the laundry, clean the dishes, wipe down the counters, and sweep the floors if there is noticeable dirt/crumbs... We leave the place looking clean, but I've never thought to clean the shower. It's also not something I would ever expect of guests staying with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:41 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
There is a whole different thread on this. We had a baby inJanuary and it's been a non-stop flow of guests. Most if these from overseas and not explicitly invited. We have had to divert them to other properties we own and set up time limits for staying in our immediate house. I would be happy to have a year or two off from any guests and when I travel I will only stay on hotels and not inconvenience others
You are the one who needs to say No. Also, hire housekeepers.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:42 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
I really can't believe people are defending someone's right to leave their body hair all over a shower! This has got to be a new low for C-D.
You started a thread that people don't agree with. Don't get attitudinal just because you have an opinion that is more uncommon than you thought.

And we're not defending someone's right to leave their body hair all over a shower. We're defending a guest's right to be a guest and not a cleaning service.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:47 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You started a thread that people don't agree with. Don't get attitudinal just because you have an opinion that is more uncommon than you thought.

And we're not defending someone's right to leave their body hair all over a shower. We're defending a guest's right to be a guest and not a cleaning service.
This all day.
This is a new low for C-D? LOL OK.
You haven't found ONE person that agrees with you. But it's us, not you.
How often does this happen to you? And yea, this must be one very hirsute individual if you couldn't wash the hair away with a dual shower head?!?

Oh, and my wife loses WAY more hair in the shower then I do. She should be bald judging by the amount of hair i pull out of the shower.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Back in June, my 2 sisters and I were invited by one of my sister's friends, to stay at their lake house in Arkansas.

on the last day of our visit, we washed up the dishes we used, gathered up the dirty towels, bed sheets and such and put them in a laundry bag, cleaned the coffee pot and wiped down counters, and put our trash in a trash bag, and last but not least, wrote our thank you notes and left them on the counter.

We thought we were being polite guests to do THAT. It did not occur to us to clean out the bath tub.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:50 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It happens, OP, when people use bathroom facilities. I would clean it up and get over it, knowing I've probably left an unwitting surprise for someone along the way.

No, people are not always aware of what they leave behind; some people wear glasses (but not in the shower) and so don't notice every little pubic hair on the tub.

I agree with the others that some things you need to keep to yourself. Hopefully the relatives will tire of the baby soon and leave you in peace.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
They were staying for free in one of the properties we own because we can't deal with more visitors. We do have a cleaning service for the Airbnb.
Well if you put them up in your house, either hire your maid to clean up after themselves or charge them a bit of money to cover the maid costs (OR do it yourself)

You can't possibly expect a GUEST to clean the house top to bottom in readiness for a AirBnB client! It just ain't going to happen and shouldn't be expected.

If you do trust that your guests will leave it clean, expect either complaints from your paying clients or expect crappy comments and low ratings at the bottom of your listing about how dirty the unit was.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Back in June, my 2 sisters and I were invited by one of my sister's friends, to stay at their lake house in Arkansas.

on the last day of our visit, we washed up the dishes we used, gathered up the dirty towels, bed sheets and such and put them in a laundry bag, cleaned the coffee pot and wiped down counters, and put our trash in a trash bag, and last but not least, wrote our thank you notes and left them on the counter.

We thought we were being polite guests to do THAT. It did not occur to us to clean out the bath tub.
I'm typically the same type of guest. And I appreciate it when my guests do the same, but I don't expect them to do it. If they leave dishes in the sink or don't remove the sheets from the bed and put them in the laundry bag, they aren't bad guests. I want my guests to feel like guests. If that means I do some dishes behind them or strip the beds, I consider that part of being a host.

(The one exception is trash ... I have trash cans in every room, so they should be used. I don't see any reason to leave trash sitting anywhere)

Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Uh huh.

I'm so flattered that you are following what I post! If you are you might have read a post that said we do have a cleaning service on our primary home and that certain relatives took exception to this. We also have a cleaning service for our Airbnb but because these are relatives and not paying guests there was no reason to expect it needed to be engaged.

Really people need to stay in hotels.
And there it is: the solution to your problem.

As for me, no, I do not expect for guests to do something like clean the shower. That's my job as host. Take dirty dishes to the kitchen, keep their things picked up? Sure. But clean the shower? I consider that a little over-the-top.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
How long does it take to clean a bathtub and shower? Especially if they were clean prior to the guest's arrival?

Easily under five minutes. I would never expect a guest to do this - this is why they're called a "guest" - and that includes family members who are visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships