Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:40 AM

749 posts, read 482,119 times

Advertisements

He said that tickets �� are about 50 bucks but there’s a free bobble head. I was wondering if I should ask him to pay for my food and drinks and ticket since he’s the one inviting me. Maybe I’ll pay for parking just to help him out. What do you think? Should I offer to pay for something? He did invite me so do you think it’s safe to assume he should pay for me? I think that the food is overpriced so should I sneak in my own food and eat before hand? Or is it okay if he pays?

Plus it’s his birthday, he’s the one who came up with this idea. Would it be too much if I also brought my cousin and asked him to cover?

Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
He said that tickets �� are about 50 bucks but there’s a free bobble head. I was wondering if I should ask him to pay for my food and drinks and ticket since he’s the one inviting me. Maybe I’ll pay for parking just to help him out. What do you think? Should I offer to pay for something? He did invite me so do you think it’s safe to assume he should pay for me? I think that the food is overpriced so should I sneak in my own food and eat before hand? Or is it okay if he pays?

Plus it’s his birthday, he’s the one who came up with this idea. Would it be too much if I also brought my cousin and asked him to cover?
No, you should not bring a cousin without asking your friend first, and since he told you the ticket price but did not offer to cover it, you should assume that he means for YOU to pay your way.

DO NOT ask your friend to pay for either of you.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
In those situations, I’ve always paid for my ticket and food/drink. I’ve never presumed the person asking if I want to go someplace is offering to pay my way.

You should not presume he’ll pay your way or ask him to do so - he did disclose the ticket price up front so that’s a clear sign he expects you to pay your way.

I’ll go if I have an interest in the event and/or spending time with that person and if I can afford it. You should consider following those same guidelines.

Editing to add: Do NOT invite anyone else to go along.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
No, I don't think that is a safe assumption and it's actually pretty rude, especially the part about inviting your cousin so he can pay for him also. Eat before you go if you don't want to pay game prices.

The last time someone invited us to a game we paid for ALL the food and drinks since they gave us the tickets. If we had purchased the tickets, we still would have paid for our own food and drinks.

It's an invitation to a group gathering of sorts.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:25 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:

If a friend is inviting you, that means they want to hang out. You should pay for everything. Did he say he'd pay for your ticket? Are you sure he isn't expecting you to pay for your ticket? Why would he tell you 'tickets are $50' unless he expected you to pay?

And why would you think it is okay to bring your cousin and have him pay???

Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:

Of course you are correct - tickets, transportation, food, drink and the cousin should be on the friend. Maybe your father would like to come as well?

Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Good grief. Really?

It would be nice of you to offer to pay for your friend's drinks and food... Certainly not the other way around.

A nice and conscientious person always offers to pay their own way and not be a burden, even when invited somewhere. If your friend WANTS to gift you, then let them, but never assume.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Unless the other person explicitly says, "this is on me," or "I'm buying," I assume I'm expected to pay for my own ticket, food, etc. I would ask if your cousin can come along, but probably only if he already knows your cousin. I would find it odd if it was my birthday and someone wanted to bring someone along who was a stranger to me.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:47 AM

745 posts, read 480,458 times
Quote:

The classy thing to do is to pay your own way and not bring your cousin. Do not assume someone else will pay for you unless they state they will.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
In case this is a serious question, he is not asking you out on a date; he is asking you if you want to go to the game. You are responsible for your own ticket and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships