Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 PM

335 posts, read 356,801 times

Advertisements

I grew up with my friend and have known each other for decades. He got married a few years ago and ever since has been acting differently. Lately he has had a pattern of becoming materialistic and frankly, extremely cheap. He makes very good money ($200k+), is a member at exclusive country clubs and does many high end trips with his wife.

I received a invitation to his birthday last week and he is charging $50 per person to attend. He is essentially renting out a bar and is trying to get everyone the pitch in for it. Between my wife and I, that’s $100 just to attend (not including food, presents, etc)

While my wife and I have the money, we are a little astonished that we have to pay an admission to attend our friends birthday. We host (and mutual friends of ours host all of us often) and typically we assume if you are hosting, you are paying. Sometimes we all host with “Potluck style” or ask the couple to bring wine/an appetizer, etc is the norm.

Does anyone else think it’s a bit tacky/cheap of my friend to charge everyone a room rental fee for his birthday? Am I making a big deal about nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 10:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I’d be busy that day.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:44 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
We had friends that started doing that too. Stopped attending their parties.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
If they charge to attend their party, that IS the gift in my view. And if they don't like it, tough.

That or you cannot just go. I'd go if the friend is otherwise good company, but my admission fee would be my gift.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
IMO it's tacky for adults to have birthday parties for themselves in the first place, and charging admission is way over the top. He must have a very inflated opinion of himself!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
He makes 200k+ and wants to charge people to come to his bday party?

If I made 20k a year I'd still be glad if my friends just wanted to get together.

I'm 36 and next year will be my 13th year in a row at this local hibachi place. It's not cheap dining, but people always come!

Nobody really does things for anyone else's bday anymore, but everyone still gets together for this. Guess I have some good friends!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Does anyone else think it’s a bit tacky/cheap of my friend to charge everyone a room rental fee for his birthday? Am I making a big deal about nothing?
It is totally tacky and cheap and shows no sense of decorum or class.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
I grew up with my friend and have known each other for decades. He got married a few years ago and ever since has been acting differently. Lately he has had a pattern of becoming materialistic and frankly, extremely cheap. He makes very good money ($200k+), is a member at exclusive country clubs and does many high end trips with his wife.

I received a invitation to his birthday last week and he is charging $50 per person to attend. He is essentially renting out a bar and is trying to get everyone the pitch in for it. Between my wife and I, that’s $100 just to attend (not including food, presents, etc)

While my wife and I have the money, we are a little astonished that we have to pay an admission to attend our friends birthday. We host (and mutual friends of ours host all of us often) and typically we assume if you are hosting, you are paying. Sometimes we all host with “Potluck style” or ask the couple to bring wine/an appetizer, etc is the norm.

I'm not sure it's fair to make that comparison. He is renting out a bar for this party. Your parties are at your home.

But I don't think you're making a big deal about nothing. I think it's pretty cheesy to rent out a place and then expect the guests to cover the costs. It would be a different story if this person ran the idea by you (and the other potential guests) beforehand - basically asking if everyone would be willing to chip in to rent out the bar. The fact that he didn't do that, and just went ahead and rented, and now expects the guests to chip in....well, it's not cool.

But I guess it is what it is. Do you want to miss your lifelong friend's party? I think you should go.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
I think it's tacky, but I'd probably still pay and go if I wanted to.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:35 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Wow! Tacky indeed. Just send him a birthday card and the gift you were planning to get anyway and skip the invite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships