Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
Congratulations on your retirement.

I had to double and triple check to make sure I hadn't written this post. I completely understand every word you are saying and everything you are feeling. In addition to the workplace scenario you describe, mine is an ongoing thing with people in general. In my experience, people have no understanding or respect for boundaries that are outside of what they want or know. Abide by their social rules, or be damned.

I don't have any advice at the moment, but I wanted you to know that you are understood and not alone in your thinking.
Me too - I understand perfectly and I'm dealing with the same concern about a graceful exit. I don't really have a work group - I operate pretty independently - but there are a few people who I consider friends and would be happy to have a little celebration with. However, I don't want to rudely exclude others. I think I'll just talk with my boss about having no formal event, and invite those few friends out for lunch after I've been gone for a little while.

I like the idea of the supervisor sending out an email announcing the retirement, saying that the person has requested no special send-off events, inviting people to stop by individually to say goodbye, and wishing the person well. I hope mine goes for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Me too - I understand perfectly and I'm dealing with the same concern about a graceful exit. I don't really have a work group - I operate pretty independently - but there are a few people who I consider friends and would be happy to have a little celebration with. However, I don't want to rudely exclude others. I think I'll just talk with my boss about having no formal event, and invite those few friends out for lunch after I've been gone for a little while.

I like the idea of the supervisor sending out an email announcing the retirement, saying that the person has requested no special send-off events, inviting people to stop by individually to say goodbye, and wishing the person well. I hope mine goes for it!
I hope yours goes well to....Congratulations....thought Id never want to stop working, but I remember a woman who was retiring, telling me, when your ready, you'll know
Wishing you the best.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 AM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Yes I hate those farewell at work. At my last job, I simply called in sick on my last day. Two bosses texted me and wished me well. One was quite concerned. The thing is they were all so fake. I disliked almost all of them. Saw no point to pretend anymore.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post

Yes I hate those farewell at work. At my last job, I simply called in sick on my last day. Two bosses texted me and wished me well. One was quite concerned. The thing is they were all so fake. I disliked almost all of them. Saw no point to pretend anymore.
When I left a long-time job to move on to a new job, the department head/boss just could not understand why I did not want a farewell get-together. She was worried that the rest of the firm would think that something was wrong with the department she was in charge of - that maybe people in the firm would think that her department was not great to work in - she took my lack of wanting a farewell get-together as a direct reflection of her and all of her department. I was firm in not wanting a farewell get-together. (extremely large law firm which would have been awkward)

Old 04-27-2019, 02:48 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
When I left a long-time job to move on to a new job, the department head/boss just could not understand why I did not want a farewell get-together. She was worried that the rest of the firm would think that something was wrong with the department she was in charge of - that maybe people in the firm would think that her department was not great to work in - she took my lack of wanting a farewell get-together as a direct reflection of her and all of her department. I was firm in not wanting a farewell get-together. (extremely large law firm which would have been awkward)
I believe this is exactly how my boss is feeling.....years ago, if someone didn't want a celebration, they honored it, but now, it's different...so many insecure leaders.

its a shame....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships