Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:02 AM

926 posts, read 979,490 times

Advertisements

might struck someone as eye-opening, but by turn of fate, i am not married and approaching middle age, currently living alone, there are both pros and cons. Biggest benefit are huge as anyone's guess, privacy, do whatever at home but iam also concerned about being aloof and geting used to it eventually. I am not rushing to meet and marry soon either. so other option is to get roommate, that is also pros and const with pros being more social but cons are hard which is loss of privacy, potential lifestyle conflict. what do you think is the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 02:22 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
You really want to be middle aged with a roommate, like you are still in college? After your mid 20's a roomate should be your significant other, or a pet.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:54 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
My uncle during his 35 to 45, had a room mate. He was and still is a confirmed bachelor.

If economics plays a factor....having a roommate is the best investment!

Mind you it would help that some compatible person be chosen.

Unless you are into some bizarre habits or have ocd,germaphobia,,or other conditions that deter an amicable cohabitating situation ?

There is safety in numbers.

Op, how are you to get along with? How do you see yourself in 20 years? Alone and lonely are two different things.

My uncle tried life with roommate, benefited from it economy wise and from having social comraderie. Once he got older he was set to downsize and be alone.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:35 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
might struck someone as eye-opening, but by turn of fate, i am not married and approaching middle age, currently living alone, there are both pros and cons. Biggest benefit are huge as anyone's guess, privacy, do whatever at home but iam also concerned about being aloof and geting used to it eventually. I am not rushing to meet and marry soon either. so other option is to get roommate, that is also pros and const with pros being more social but cons are hard which is loss of privacy, potential lifestyle conflict. what do you think is the best?
Why would you even think about a roommate?

It's time to realize where you are in life. Buy a nice home. Enjoy life.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:02 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
Quote:
Don't you have a 6 year old daughter? (Your previous post)

Do you have joint custody, does she stay at your home sometimes?

If so, I would think carefully about getting a roommate that is a stranger.

-Where do people even find trustworthy, safe roommates anymore?

Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why would you even think about a roommate?

It's time to realize where you are in life. Buy a nice home. Enjoy life.
yes, roommate is so about college time. Home? Well possibly, but opting out for now.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My uncle during his 35 to 45, had a room mate. He was and still is a confirmed bachelor.

If economics plays a factor....having a roommate is the best investment!

Mind you it would help that some compatible person be chosen.

Unless you are into some bizarre habits or have ocd,germaphobia,,or other conditions that deter an amicable cohabitating situation ?

There is safety in numbers.

Op, how are you to get along with? How do you see yourself in 20 years? Alone and lonely are two different things.

My uncle tried life with roommate, benefited from it economy wise and from having social comraderie. Once he got older he was set to downsize and be alone.
economics is not a huge incentive although nice to save on couple of hundred bucks a months.
I dont think myself is lonely, since i am active, busy working and plenty of housechores. But common across this age spectrum, going out,r&r is a becoming rarity.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
You really want to be middle aged with a roommate, like you are still in college? After your mid 20's a roomate should be your significant other, or a pet.
pet is possible, i know several folks of mine do that, but sometimes i see pet as a companion as sign of desperation. will put some folks in irate, but i really think that so.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Do not get a roommate. Continue to focus on activities that interest you and get you out of the house on a regular basis.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:

Hmmm. I think 'best' would be to entertain in your home more often. Invite friends over once a week, or once a month for game night, or wine night, or whatever.

You like your privacy, which would definitely be hampered if you took a room mate. But, you're not fond of the isolation...so invite friends over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships