Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 21,751 times

Advertisements

My husband's family has moved to Pinehurst, NC. from MA. They love it-but i am still not sure if it is the place for us. We're a young family (mid 30's) with two young children (his parents are retired and sister & husband are professional couple with no kids).

We too are originally from the Boston area but now live in NH near Lake Winnipesaukee. We really have come to appreciate the "country" but are hating the winters and the fact that the NEAREST Shaw's supermarket is 17.5miles away. Ugh. Our family tells us that the Pinehurst area is gorgeous, somewhat upscale, and offers plenty of shopping options (including big box stores). What I'm still unsure about is what it is going to be like for my kids and us in terms of making friends. Schools, friends, activities are all concerns. Any feedback would be great.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM

34 posts, read 97,844 times
Read all the responses from Yankee calling all Yankees and Wilson yes or no,and some of the older forums. You should get an idea with that.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:51 PM

44 posts, read 200,890 times
Don't let Chedonna scare you. The poster is speaking from bad experiences probably brought on by themselves. Wilson is also a much more rural area than Pinehurst. Pinehurst is very upscale and offers a good diversity of shopping and great restaurants. Your kids will probably be able to make friends quick once at school, and there are many attractions within just an hour or so of Pinehurst. Good luck, and I myself have always found Moore County a great place!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM

123 posts, read 511,581 times
My step-daughter, her husband, and 2 daughters moved here 4 years ago from Nanuet, NY. Daughters were 7 and 11. NY accents and all! Both daughters love it here. They are busy all the time. Sleepovers, sports, school, parties, and beach trips. Both parents took some time to find the jobs they really wanted, but now are settled and happy.
Our dog groomer is from NH. And yes, she has children who love it here, too.
And we're not 17 miles from a grocery store.
Come down and visit. That's the only way to tell if you think you'll be happy.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 AM

14 posts, read 95,669 times
Pinehurst is VERY upscale. Nice, beautiful, down to earth...as long as you have money. about 5 minutes away is Aberdeen ( a bit larger and more of a younger crowd), Southern Pines (smaller than Aberdeen, alittle more upscale than Aberdeen, but not as stiff as Pinehurst). You have several other small towns with 5 minutes of those, as well. Pinebluff, Carthage (heart of Moore County and country), Vass (VERY small), West End, Seven Lakes, etc.
Schools are good in Pinehurst, Vass-Lakeview, and Carthage. I would NOT deal with Aberdeen schools...LOL!
Some local night clubs, pool halls. Most are pretty laid back and mixed well, as far as age goes. Plenty of shops, store, restaurants, etc.
I promise, your children would make friends quickly, and so would you guys.
I love Moore County. I have been in VA for the past month, and can't wait to move back there in a few weeks.
You guys would love it, I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina