Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,235 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both hate the MD/DC area after moving here from SW Virginia. He took a job in NC recently and I am still in MD until I can find employment. He is staying with a roommate in Cary in the meantime and we love that area. I am an attorney and will not likely possess a license to practice there until April, 2012. But, the commute and distance for the past 7 weeks is getting old quickly.

I am considering taking on contract/temporary legal work in NC but most of the jobs are in Charlotte. His job is in Sanford, NC though. I am prepared to take a significant pay cut but living on one salary is not an option. Also, I haven't been very successful in getting info on the legal market on the Raleigh side. So, it may very well be the case that employment may be more likely for me in Charlotte.

Currently, my drive from MD to NC is approximately 4 hours. So, it doesn't make sense for me to work in Charlotte during the week. If we are going to be apart during the week, then it makes more sense to maintain my current salary while doing so,

HELP!!!! Which locations can we reasonably consider living in so that we both can work without commuting almost 2 hours to work yet still see each other? Or, is working in Charlotte while the other works in Sanford just that totally out of the question? I haven't found any public transportation options either.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbtesq View Post
locations can we reasonably consider living in so that we both can work without commuting almost 2 hours to work yet still see each other?
So you can both be miserable and exhausted when you get home at night?

Make a venn diagram, develop a list of "towns" from the result...
then poke around down there and see which wide spot in the road suits you best.
Rent for a while before buying.

No? OK...

On the interstate... the distance betw Raleigh and Charlotte is about 170 miles.
Greensboro and High Point are at about the mid way point.
On the "backroad" (mostly NC27) it's still a 2 1/2 hour drive from Sanford to Charlotte
Maybe Asheboro? That's about 90 minutes to Raleigh or Charlotte

I sure wouldn't choose any of these options.
Maybe you need a new boyfriend?

Wanna move to Winston?
hth

Last edited by MrRational; 09-12-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
The midpoint between Charlotte amd Raleigh would be somewhere around Greensboro. For Sanford specifically, I reckon High Point would be the closest city to a midpoint with any significance. Personally, I'd still probably do Greensboro. A little more to do there and closer to the Triangle.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
As a map will show, there is no easy way to get between Sanford and Charlotte, just back "country" roads. I believe you would both be miserable (or at least one of you) after a very short time. It would probably be easier in the long run to just live in Charlotte and have the Sanford worker rent a room during the week. Definitely no public transportation that goes that route. NC is not a good state for public transportation.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,621,688 times
i would just buy a place in petersburg, virginia. one of you can commute to Sanford NC and the other can commute to Maryland.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It would probably be easier in the long run to just live in Charlotte and have the Sanford worker rent a room during the week.
I second that idea. Housing is cheaper in Sanford, but the opportunities for an attorney are limited. There is certainly more interesting happenings for young people in Charlotte than in Sanford.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Mid-point between Charlotte and Sanford is Uwharrie National Forest. There are some towns near there that might work for you such as Troy, Albemarle, Lexington, Salisbury, etc...

Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Keep trying to find something closer to your husband's job.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Troy and Albemarle nice towns close to lake Biden. The commute to Charlotte has gotten better from there because of widened Hwys 24,27 You might want to look at Pinehurst and Southern Pines. A Lot of newly retires looking and moving there might need some legal help.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:02 AM

10 posts, read 30,235 times
THANK YOU ALL for your responses!! If we are going to be separated by 3 hours within the same state still, we may as well remain where we are and maintaining our salaries until I can find employment near Raleigh. There's a 4 hour distance now compared to a 3 hour distance between Raleigh and Charlotte. However, there will be approximately a $40,000 difference in salary once I leave my current position and head south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina