Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 3,863 times

Advertisements

We are a mid 30's couple looking to relocate to NC, i do not really like shoveling snow anymore.

A little background about us.
I am a IT Manager and my wife is a health coach. My wife can work from home. Now here is the issue
I would like to be in the Raleigh-Durham area, and my wife wants to be more by the coast. Not exactly on the beach, but not 2 hours away either

We are looking for a middle ground between Raleigh and Wilmington.
Looking to see if you guys and gals have any suggestions?

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidario View Post
We are a mid 30's couple looking to relocate to NC, i do not really like shoveling snow anymore.

I am a IT Manager and my wife is a health coach. My wife can work from home. Now here is the issue
I would like to be in the Raleigh-Durham area, and my wife wants to be more by the coast. Not exactly on the beach, but not 2 hours away either

Unfortunately, the area between Raleigh and the coast is primarily a collection of small, economically depressed towns that you probably don't want to live in, and couldn't find a job in.

You might want to look at Greenville, its about the only city that would come close to meeting your needs. There is a good sized hospital and a University there, you may be able to find an IT job at one of those.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:44 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Unfortunately, the area between Raleigh and the coast is primarily a collection of small, economically depressed towns that you probably don't want to live in, and couldn't find a job in.

You might want to look at Greenville, its about the only city that would come close to meeting your needs. There is a good sized hospital and a University there, you may be able to find an IT job at one of those.
I agree with suggesting Greenville. If the IT manager has experience with the military, there might be management jobs in Fayetteville, Goldsboro or Jacksonville. They each have the issues of being military towns and are no where near as attractive as Raleigh.

You might also look at Sanford, a town of about 30,000 with a several, diverse manufacturing businesses. One could live closer to the beach than 2 hours, and still be in commuting distance.

A couple other suggestions where one might find an IT job include Wilson, with BBT Bank, and Rocky Mount, with a diesel engine plant. Others include Clinton and Newton Grove which have agricultural-related businesses. You might adjust to these towns if you really like small-town living in the South.

BTW, The approximate geographic mid-point between Raleigh and Wilmington is Wallace. It has a nice retirement/golf community, but I think the chances for finding an IT management job are slim. Wallace is 60-65 miles from either Goldsboro or Fayetteville. Do you have other skills like consulting or security that could be done remotely?

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-19-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 02:20 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times
i would compromise and say east raleigh you can be 30 minutes out and get to the beach in 2 hours.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,385,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i would compromise and say east raleigh you can be 30 minutes out and get to the beach in 2 hours.
"Not exactly on the beach, but not 2 hours away either"

Old 10-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
hey_guy, how is Clayton?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:54 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:

That's easy if you work 5 days a week live close to your job.

If you go "down the shore" 5 days a week live close to the beach.

It's all about priorities.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:59 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
hey_guy, how is Clayton?
Clayton is a good option for you. I live in Garner which is in between Raleigh/Clayton. Everybody is right to steer you away from most of the coastal towns. Wilmington being the exception. Clayton is starting to become a bedroom community of Raleigh chances are you wouldn't work in Clayton itself. It's possible but I can't remember your profession but there are some pharmaceutical labs out there I know. I'd read up on Clayton, lots of recent threads.

Garner or Clayton are about the best your going to get,being close to Raleigh and at least OTW to the beach. From my house in Garner,I can be in Wrightsville Beach in less then 2 hours. I drive fast and travel in light traffic. I've made it in 1 hour and 30-45 min several times. Still basic 2 hours but it's an easy straight shot drive that goes by pretty quick. Flat and open road the whole way.

Check out the Triangle forum for more information about Clayton.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Thank you ctn7cyn. We will look into Clayton. I don't mind a 30 min commute to Raleigh, if in fact i do work in Raleigh
1 1/2 or so to the beach is not bad, It can take us that long now in NJ
How is the traffic in the area? Any idea what the commute time will be to Raleigh for Clayton?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:16 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
Unfortunately there is not much in the way of middle ground between Raleigh and Wilmington. Wilmington IMO anyway is actually a pretty good place for "not on the beach" as you put it and would probably be the best IT town in that sense.

Greenville would probably be worth looking into as well for reasons carolinadawg stated. You also might want to at least give a look into New Bern, which sits on two rivers and is about 45-1hr from Atlantic Beach although IT jobs here are probably going to be quite scarce.

Clayton is about 25-30 minutes from DT Raleigh and is quickly becoming a fast growing town. It would seem traffic there is going to get worse but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you're set on the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina