Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 AM

10 posts, read 10,043 times

Advertisements

Hello there. My name is Andrea, I a married with 2 children ages 19 and 9. (Our oldest is in the Navy im not sure why I put that here mostly because im so proud of him)We currently live in NY and we are looking to come to the Carolinas! The sooner the better..lol.. We have been scouring the internet look at so many different areas but I need some real people incite. What we are looking for is an area that has children for our 9 year old to be around, good schools and not in the city, we would like to be on the outskirts of the city. we would like to be able to get to the city easy though..i prefer lakes to the ocean, Im looking to have neighbors but not be on top of them(right now my neighbors are so close we share a driveway..Im over that) I like the warmer weather, I would love to have very mild winters, I would like a town that is active with in itself. I am a craft fair fanatic!! My son loves to play outside and loves sports as well.

My husband comes to the Carolinas SC yearly and loves it, hes a hunter and we have family and Friends in North Carolina, that's why we choose the Carolinas.

So if you could poss help me out we are looking to visit with in the next two months and we need a plan of action and a place to start that is why I have posted here!

Thank you

Last edited by Andreac1974; 04-28-2014 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreac1974 View Post
What we are looking for is an area that has children for our 9 year old to be around, good schools and not in the city, we would like to be on the outskirts of the city. we would like to be able to get to the city easy though..i prefer lakes to the ocean, Im looking to have neighbors but not be on top of them(right now my neighbors are so close we share a driveway..Im over that) I like the warmer weather, I would love to have very mild winters, I would like a town that is active with in itself. I am a craft fair fanatic!! My son loves to play outside and loves sports as well.

My husband comes to the Carolinas SC yearly and loves it, hes a hunter and we have family and Friends in North Carolina, that's why we choose the Carolinas.
Your requirements are very general, but I'd suggest doing some reading in the Charlotte area subforums, the Triad subforums and the Triangle sub-forums. Some town might catch your fancy. There are hundreds of towns that would suite your requirements, such as Matthews near Charlotte, Lexington near Winston-Salem, Seven Lakes near Pinehurst, etc.

What kind of work would you or your husband need to find?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:04 PM

My husband works in the medical field. He is a supervisor at one of the hospitals by us, works in the ambulance services and is an EMT. He is alsoa dispatcher for our local FD and has volunteered there for almost 23 yrs..I work for my family and I'm a Nail technician on the side as well as a makeup artist.i waitress and can also drive a school bus. Lol

Old 04-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
My husband works in the medical field. He is a supervisor at one of the hospitals by us, works in the ambulance services and is an EMT. He is alsoa dispatcher for our local FD and has volunteered there for almost 23 yrs..I work for my family and I'm a Nail technician on the side as well as a makeup artist.i waitress and can also drive a school bus. Lol
It sounds like you both have the skills to work in or near the larger towns which have hospitals. That still leaves dozens of options. You might narrow it down by whether it is important to be closer to the mountains or to the ocean. BTW, The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is about in the middle of the state, but it is a very large populated area. You sounded like you would prefer to be in a smaller town.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Yes we would prefer to be in a smaller town. I'm gonna take a look in the other forms..Seven Lakes sounds interesting.. I think I'm going to ck that out..We are looking for a starting point ..I love the small town charm..I am a people person bit like I said am not in any way a city girl..I like to visit the city but at the end of the day I want to go home sit in my backyard with a cup of tea watch the sunset and relax..we would like to be able to narrow it down and come visit by august

Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yes we would prefer to be in a smaller town. I'm gonna take a look in the other forms..Seven Lakes sounds interesting..
I mentioned Seven Lakes because it is in Moore County which has a very good hospital. There are lots of small lakes with some affordable lakefront communities. It's about 45-50 miles to the Raleigh area.

I also think it's feasible to find nail salon work because there are lots of women in Pinehurst and Southern Pines who are affluent.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 AM

So I have been reading on the boards amd posted in the South Carolina board as well so you might see a similar post there, but I have to ask here as well I'm seeing alot of the word transplant and some your not from here and you just won't get invited places ..is this true? It's a bit overwhelming.. Please help and explain..��❓

Old 04-29-2014, 07:08 AM

756 posts, read 835,953 times
Hey Andreac, not to worry- transplants (those moving from other states etc) are very common here. We are originally from MA and have lived in NC since 2010 and are now settled in Moore County. This is a great place to be and sounds like Moore County could fit the bill for your family. Come on down!!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
you just won't get invited places ..is this true? It's a bit overwhelming..
Let me amplify my earlier comment on the SC board. The Carolinas are changing but I see the towns divided into two categories: the traditional towns and the towns full of transplants from other states.

I am strongly encouraging you to look for towns with lots of transplants. I think that your kid will find friends wherever he goes, but it is a bit more difficult to fit into traditional towns.

The traditional towns are ones where everyone is related to everyone else and the all went to the same schools. They go to the same churches, and their social life revolves around visiting family and gossiping about who is getting married or divorced. One of my BIL's lives in this kind of town, and his other social outlet is the shagging dance club and the Rotary club. There are a few retirees and transplants in a gated community nearby, and his comment was that "he had no reason to socialize with them." As he saw it, their life experience was so different, they had nothing to talk about.

On the opposite side of the coin, another BIL lives in Leland (Brunswick County) and he has many friends who relocated from New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. He is much more open to socializing with people from other parts of the country.

This is the background for encouraging you to look at places with many transplants. Moore County is just one example.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Thank you very much for your reply..This is one of the most stressful things I have had to do because I'm not there to see for myself and doing this from behind a computer screen sux..we are coming to visit in Aug to act see what the areas I narrow it down to, have not gotten that far yet but a few on the list will fit for us or more or less will we fit in. My son will make friends w anyone,as will I and my husband..we are down to earth have our head on straight just looking to make a better life for our family...

Last edited by Andreac1974; 04-29-2014 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina