Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM

25 posts, read 89,344 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Me and my wife are considering relocating to NC. First of all, we are getting mixed feeling with the media converage on how some states are not very happy accepting hispanics. We are both Cuban American middle class and would like a nice friendly neighboorhood that would be great to raise a family. Can anyone give us some advise on where to start looking?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 11:49 PM

336 posts, read 513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman420 View Post
Hello,

Me and my wife are considering relocating to NC.First of all, we are getting mixed feeling with the media converage on how some states are not very happy accepting hispanics. We are both Cuban American middle class and would like a nice friendly neighboorhood that would be great to raise a family. Can anyone give us some advise on where to start looking?

Thanks
I think you are confusing hispanics with illegal aliens. There is a difference.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 PM

24 posts, read 105,837 times
Hey, Dman420 My husband and myself are also moving from So FLa as well, and I should tell you that beside the population of mexicans, many hispanics are moving down there as well. I've noticed in my visits ( Checking on the house being built) that it is becoming a melting pot. I've seen my eastern Indians, Black, whites, hispanic etc. You will fit in just fine. Besides everyone who has relocated there are from ever where else but NC. California, NY, FL, Mass etc. So do consider your move. IF you have family they will more than love you for doing so.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolliepopshelly View Post
Hey, Dman420 My husband and myself are also moving from So FLa as well, and I should tell you that beside the population of mexicans, many hispanics are moving down there as well. I've noticed in my visits ( Checking on the house being built) that it is becoming a melting pot. I've seen my eastern Indians, Black, whites, hispanic etc. You will fit in just fine. Besides everyone who has relocated there are from ever where else but NC. California, NY, FL, Mass etc. So do consider your move. IF you have family they will more than love you for doing so.

Thanks for the reply appreciate it

Old 08-25-2006, 12:13 AM

24 posts, read 105,837 times
U R welcome. U should plan a visit. I went down last Sept. Loved it and purhcased a house in March /06. Just waiting for it be be built or should I say finished.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolliepopshelly View Post
U R welcome. U should plan a visit. I went down last Sept. Loved it and purhcased a house in March /06. Just waiting for it be be built or should I say finished.
What area did you buy in? We are thinking of flying in maybe next month. It's just a bit scary not knowing where you're going, specially if you don't know anyone there. I understand about the illegal aliens, in Miami its a problem too but i do not want to be considered one.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,967 times
I do not think that you have anything to worry about. I was born and raised in N.C. and Lolliepopshelly is right to say that you will fit in fine You may find it very hospitable. Waiting to hear where you plan to re-locate. Good luck with the move. Sammie Lynne

Old 08-25-2006, 06:30 AM

34 posts, read 110,594 times
It's going to be a big change from Miami! But I think you would feel welcome and comfortable here, especially if you join a local church. Plus, people are not confrontational at all--not even the prejudiced ones. Of course, you won't find many (or any) Cuban restaurants. :-(

Old 10-04-2006, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 31,736 times
I'm Cuban-American and live in Wilkes County since 1994. This place is great and its right by the Blue Ridge Parkway. I came to college in NC and stayed.This place is beautiful. I live around Millers Creek-Wilkesboro area. We have already spanish story time at the Wilkes County Public Library and in the Roman Catholic church they provide Spanish masses. They sell at Lowes Foods Cuban Coffee ( to make it at home). Walmart even has a spanish section for food. So this place is growing. We have a big employer around here (Tysons Foods Inc) and so we have a melting pot in the community. The prices are reasonable in the area and not as crazy as in so.fl right now. We have a lake and stone mountain in the area...We are 2 hours from Charlotte & Winston. I like this area. There is a big Cuban community too in Ashe County.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:57 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman420 View Post
Hello,

Me and my wife are considering relocating to NC. First of all, we are getting mixed feeling with the media converage on how some states are not very happy accepting hispanics. We are both Cuban American middle class and would like a nice friendly neighboorhood that would be great to raise a family. Can anyone give us some advise on where to start looking?

Thanks
You can move by us, my husband is Cuban, can you make arroz con pollo?
His mother makes it with beer. I'm not Cuban and I don't make Cuban food so he would love it, if you lived next door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina