Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 PM

188 posts, read 597,118 times

Advertisements

It seems most auto shops around can't fix cars in the same day, even if a job isn't that time consuming (like half an hour labor)...A lot of times people don't have an alternative way of transportation and the issue needs to be addressed asap ( some fluid spray out of the hose...). Most shops won't even try to get it done the same day... I don't have problem paying more (reasonably, up to the cost of rental car?) but usually the shops dont seem to care.... even if you brakes failed, they will still tell you they can do it next week....
Why are they not motivated to do more same day job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Because they already have work to do?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
As WFW&P stated there other cars that need to be worked on. It a first come first serve business.
It not the auto shops responsibility because someone has transportation issues.
They are to fix the problem when they have the allotted time.
Also shops do not carry inventory of every part and it may take a day for the part to be delivered.
I know of two mom & pop type shops that I go to because they are the best, but if I dont arrive as soon as they open I can either wait all day or pick up the next day.
Some places allow keys to be left over night and if it a dealership they some times give a loaner.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM

735 posts, read 1,585,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Because they already have work to do?
there's not much else to say.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,903 times
You should be glad they can't fix it the same day. That means they are busy. Busy places often mean that they do good work, enough for people to come back. My current mechanic often has a two or three day wait before they can work on my car.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:15 AM

188 posts, read 597,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
You should be glad they can't fix it the same day. That means they are busy. Busy places often mean that they do good work, enough for people to come back. My current mechanic often has a two or three day wait before they can work on my car.
There were times my car had problems on a cross country trip. I guess I was lucky the shops I went to get it fixed in 2 hours in the afternoon... One was a dealership, the other was an independent shop. They didn't overcharge me even on the parts and the works was done pretty good.... But that's on the west coast......

Here shops usually don't bother to do it... Really how busy can they be that they don't have 30 minutes in 3 days? Patching a tire takes less than 10 minutes but still some shops won't even do it...

I think on west coast they are way more shops you can go to get it fixed the same day....

Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,581 times
When I graduated college I briefly took a job at a manager trainee (their job title, my title was tow truck driver), at a rental car agency that specialized providing cars to people who were having their car repaired. Part of the business plan was to deliver gifts (donuts, beer, whatever) and get in tight with the repair shops. In return they would slow down repairs. If we knew that the customer had 30days of rental on their insurance, they never got their car back before that was used up. I think I lasted 3 months in that job.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
There were times my car had problems on a cross country trip. I guess I was lucky the shops I went to get it fixed in 2 hours in the afternoon... One was a dealership, the other was an independent shop. They didn't overcharge me even on the parts and the works was done pretty good.... But that's on the west coast......

Here shops usually don't bother to do it... Really how busy can they be that they don't have 30 minutes in 3 days? Patching a tire takes less than 10 minutes but still some shops won't even do it...

I think on west coast they are way more shops you can go to get it fixed the same day....
I had a flat... Walmart fixed it in 1 hour.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Never having to wait or make an appointment can be a bad sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post

Dealerships are slightly different in the can afford to over staff the shop because they don't pay the mechanics a salary. Some shops might work you in if someone is waiting for a part and the mechanic is not working at the moment.
As for the tire repair if the shop doesn't sell tires most likely it doesn't have the equipment to patch a tire and many shops won't plug a tire due to the liability involved.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
Some shops try to help people in need of a fast simple repair by having several mechanics who spend most of their time doing "quick service" There should be no reason that a big job can not wait if a small job will only take one hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina