Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times

Advertisements

A bill introduced in the state Senate would require hospitals to disclose their prices for common medical procedures. It also would ban a double-billing common in radiology.
Bill would take mystery out of hospital prices | CharlotteObserver.com

I had my first Ultra Sound last week after I filled paper work out and was called back the nurse ask me if I ate within past 6 hours and I said yes so I had to reschedule I wonder if I will be billed twice after reading this article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,210,658 times
We need to have this asap. Rest assured the medical providers will fight this all the way. They want to be able to price the customer and not their actual work. They want to charge your insurance company every dime they can and then charge you any amount above that they want to and you not be able to do a thing about it.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:06 PM

334 posts, read 868,061 times
Love to see some competition in healthcare. Stop government limiting hospitals and doctors. it just raise prices.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM

50 posts, read 56,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
We need to have this asap. Rest assured the medical providers will fight this all the way. They want to be able to price the customer and not their actual work. They want to charge your insurance company every dime they can and then charge you any amount above that they want to and you not be able to do a thing about it.
The insurance companies are the problem and must be put out of business at once.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM

334 posts, read 868,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltreehat View Post
The insurance companies are the problem and must be put out of business at once.
The problem is the government eliminates as much competition as possible. Limit the supply of Doctors,nurse,hospitals and what happens? Prices go straight up.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,123,693 times
Now THIS is a bill I would support!!! Finally something actually helpful being proposed in the state of NC!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,300,196 times
Holy ****...a sensible proposal from this G.A.? I never thought I'd see the day.

As someone with a condition (Chrons diseases) that requires frequent tests and radiological imagings (usually barium swallows) I definitely support this.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:22 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,425,948 times
Years ago, I had a surgical procedure scheduled, but cancelled it about a week in advance. yet the hospital charged me for a surgical tray and setup. When I called, they said every time a surgery is scheduled, a tray and setup is ordered. Well, just take it off the bill, since I never had any surgery.

They have continued to bill me for that tray, about $800, for 5 years+. Its on my credit report, but hasn't affected my ability to get credit once explained. the hospital tried to charge insurance, but the insurance flagged it as a bogus charge. so, they expect ME to pay it? I told them if they gave me the tray, I might consider paying....then sell it on Ebay!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM

770 posts, read 2,755,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Years ago, I had a surgical procedure scheduled, but cancelled it about a week in advance. yet the hospital charged me for a surgical tray and setup. When I called, they said every time a surgery is scheduled, a tray and setup is ordered. Well, just take it off the bill, since I never had any surgery.

They have continued to bill me for that tray, about $800, for 5 years+. Its on my credit report, but hasn't affected my ability to get credit once explained. the hospital tried to charge insurance, but the insurance flagged it as a bogus charge. so, they expect ME to pay it? I told them if they gave me the tray, I might consider paying....then sell it on Ebay!
I have a similar story about a small op I had at Rex hospital. When the invoice came it charged $300 for oxygen therapy. I called them and pointed out that I had a local anesthetic , "we'll check " was the reply - I got an amended bill a couple of days later . I had another conversation with them about attempted fraud but they said it was a billing error.... really

Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
I dont know if this new bill than one that was supposedly introduce in March, or is different than previous but it a good bill none the less.

The state Senate passed a bill that would require hospitals to post the prices for 100 common procedures online. The bill also would mandate that hospitals list how much large insurers, Medicaid, Medicare and the uninsured pay for the procedures.

Also the bill prohibits more extreme forms of bill collecting: No hospital or ambulatory surgical center could put a lien on a delinquent patient’s primary residence, and public hospitals could no longer garnish a patient’s wages.

Thank you Republican Sen. Bob Rucho of Matthews for a great bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina