Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,588 times

Advertisements

Are the employers required to notify employees? Hubby has yet to hear about this. His employer is based out of state and is fairly new to NC. I'm wondering if he should just go online and do it himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Probably not, HR will likely just ask to fill out NC-4 again before a person clocks in on first day of work in January.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Lest we all forget a recession is consumption of goods slows; so when the next recession hits, and it will, the state will be hurting for revenue.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Finally news outlets are bringing this up since it does effect about everyone in the state.
It was just discussed on News 14 and I also a saw article just posted to address WfW&P concern.

I gotta veer a tad off topic as I need to vent. lmao
It drives me crazy when News 14 reporter Carolina Blair says Camp Leurne. its Camp LeJuene . There is no R. (edit someone on FB says she correct)

Anyways at this time the report on video and I hate how Time Warner requires log in to view but this report explains more on deductions . NEWS - Charlotte - News 14

Despite the Jan. 1 starting date, the impact on ticket prices will be delayed for many events. That’s because tickets that initially go on sale before Jan. 1 aren’t subject to the new tax – even if those tickets aren’t purchased until 2014.
So if tickets are already on sale for a event that is scheduled for next spring, the sales tax doesn’t apply regardless of whether you buy the tickets next week or next year.

Some of the affected groups already pay a lower tax tied to their receipts. \
Movie theaters pay a 1 percent gross receipts tax while many sporting events are subject to a 3 percent gross receipts tax.
These taxes would be supplanted by the new sales tax.
Can we say Netflix looking more appealing lol

The sales tax change was ordered in a new law that also reduced personal and corporate income tax rates.
The tax law did away with the state’s three-tiered personal income tax rates, creating a flat rate of 5.8 percent in 2014 and 5.75 percent in 2015.
On the corporate side, the income tax rate falls from 6.9 percent this year to 6 percent in 2014 and 5 percent in 2015.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-09-2013 at 12:09 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 PM

124 posts, read 242,680 times
Ok..maybe Im just slow but does this not mean more money being taken out of my check every payday since I can no longer claim exemptions? I usually claim 2 during the year which means less money coming out each payday. When you live practically pay check to paycheck I don't see how this is a "good" thing. Also the new flat tax rate means I'm paying the same percentage of taxes as the guy making 2 million...right?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylea73 View Post
Ok..maybe Im just slow but does this not mean more money being taken out of my check every payday since I can no longer claim exemptions? I usually claim 2 during the year which means less money coming out each payday. When you live practically pay check to paycheck I don't see how this is a "good" thing. Also the new flat tax rate means I'm paying the same percentage of taxes as the guy making 2 million...right?
That is a very good question most likely answered by your accountant or when you do your taxes. As far as the flat tax goes 5% on $2 million is going to be more than on $20,000. The rich person will essentially pay more but the 5% on $20k will sting more because that person has less of a buffer. Additionally a flat tax means more money at the top with less of it being put back into the economy. Some tax laws are designed to make the "haves" spend money.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 AM

83 posts, read 152,377 times
Question New NC Tax Laws to take affect.

Just wondering how the new change in tax laws that was recently passed is being received by the "Retirement Community"??

Thoughts??

A tax cut in North Carolina, but first, new paperwork | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Default New NC-4 forms 2014 NC State Tax rates: Also good for newcomers

I was looking over the 2014 NC Tax Tables for income tax so I can make sure I have the right amount being withheld. And I noticed a few changes and it's lower for 2014. The what's new on the first page of the PDF talked about a decrease. And the married, single etc are all lumped together now.

2014 Tax tables
http://www.dornc.com/downloads/nc30.pdf

2013 Tax Tables
http://www.dornc.com/downloads/nc30_2013.pdf

ETA: This is NOT the tax you will pay at the end of the year since you will have deductions/credits, adjusted gross income etc. This is just how much your employer will deduct from your payroll check.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:05 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,636 times
I would like to see if there are any effects on the exemption of Federal pensions under the current Bailey Decision.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joisy jim View Post
Just wondering how the new change in tax laws that was recently passed is being received by the "Retirement Community"??

Thoughts??

A tax cut in North Carolina, but first, new paperwork | CharlotteObserver.com
The new witholding form won't affect me since I am not employed at all. My main income is Social Security. I honestly do not know whether I will pay more or less, but I am afraid it will be more, as the Observer article mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina