Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
LOL not at my kids charter school. Many ESL kids.

Many? which school is this? In Mecklenburg County?

Let's crunch some demographics...

Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Many? which school is this? In Mecklenburg County?

Let's crunch some demographics...
Chatham Charter School. Last numbers I saw it was 34% other than Caucasian.

If that number is still right, it tracks with what is on the county website. Chatham is 71% Caucasian

Old 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Chatham Charter School. Last numbers I saw it was 34% other than Caucasian.

If that number is still right, it tracks with what is on the county website. Chatham is 71% Caucasian
Chatham County...not really a hotbed of diversity there. Forgive me for chuckling at your 5% swing. Let me guess, you also commute 45 minutes a day to work every morning?

You're not in an area that is highly affected, I'll leave it at that.

And I stand FIRMLY by my earlier statement. It's well-documented.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Chatham County...not really a hotbed of diversity there. Forgive me for chuckling at your 5% swing. Let me guess, you also commute 45 minutes a day to work every morning?

32 minute easy commute in my big black jacked up truck, rolling on 35s. If that has anything to do with charter schools. My point is CCS's population tracks pretty close with the actual population on Chatham. It should. It's a lottery to get it in.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:

It's rather obvious, they want to use taxpayer money to fund private-like gated schools with select minority participation. In order to justify this funding reallocation, you have to reinforce the idea that the current public school system is a total disaster and these lazy public school teachers are leveraging the concept of tenure to coast to retirement.

I agree, some students have no interest in pursuing higher education beyond high school and trade school or vocational curriculums are better suited for their career paths. Dismantling the current public school system by carving into funding earmarked for the traditional public schools is only compounding the problem. Schools are underfunded and teachers overburden with scarce resources and unmanageable classroom sizes.

A full scale overall of the system isn't necessary, it can be tweaked and vastly improved if certain forces didn't continue to intervene with tons of misinformation and employ their one track agenda to destroy the current public school system. Instead, some people living in a Jim Crow-bubble in this state (country) can't seem to stomach the demographic shifts and are utilizing a last-ditch effort to create a taxpayer-paid private school system. No, if you can't afford to send little Johnny or Sally to private schools then too bad.

As for ending teacher tenure, go ahead but it's a big waste of time and money....people aren't waiting in line to become teachers and turnover is high enough with so-called tenure. Bad teachers aren't the problem because the large majority of teachers are passionate about their respective profession and poor performers usually leave the system anyway.

Much like any other private company seeking to employ and secure the most qualified individuals, ensure competitive pay/salary and provide the resources in a safe environment to an effective job.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
....select minority participation....
It is a lottery....by law. My experience with Woods and Chatham has been they run the lottery open to the public.

No selection. Stop lying to support your position.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
I just visited a public school In Lexington,NC, grandkids awards day.

I saw class rooms which were hightech and set up in professional manner. I can not belive that we are asking people who need to be fluent in so many areas to work for so little and with the option to give away senority rights for a small raise.

We all need to see what diversity can do for our kids growth and when a community wants to make its schools work .

Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
It is a lottery....by law. My experience with Woods and Chatham has been they run the lottery open to the public.

I will agree that the charters end up with better students. They don't need to mess around with discipline problem kids. They set a policy and if you violate it they expel the student. In my daughter’s last year in the traditional school there was one student that had his desk right against the teacher’s desk. The teacher told me that one kid used up 30% of her time.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
I will agree that the charters end up with better students. They don't need to mess around with discipline problem kids. They set a policy and if you violate it they expel the student. In my daughter’s last year in the traditional school there was one student that had his desk right against the teacher’s desk. The teacher told me that one kid used up 30% of her time.
Here is the deal. I will TRY to post without my normal insults and harshness. It will be a challenge!

The people "in charge" of education have made a terrible blunder in dealing with the CORRELATION between SUSPENSIONS and DROPPING OUT of high school. There is high correlation between the two, BUT NOT CAUSATION. In other words dropping out has NOTHING TO DO with the number of SUSPENSIONS, because they are CAUSED by a third factor...I will let the reader decide. So, by mistaking Correlation for Causation, they have pretty much destroyed the classroom environment for learning.

Here is why.

There is tremendous pressure from "above" on principals to not suspend ANYONE, due to the correlation between suspensions and drop outs. The feeling being, if we don't suspend, he or she will not drop out. This is fallacy.

As a result, the classroom is FILLED with unruly students, who have demonstrated repeatedly they cannot function in an educational setting, but due to the "correlation" they are not suspended, either in school or out of school, so.....They ruin the learning environment for the students who care (which often is the majority)

I do not have access to what Principals are evaluated on, but if their system is as WHACKO as the NC Teachers Eval, I would not be a bit surprised that the fewer suspension, the higher the eval.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of blunders committed by "those in charge" that have gutted the quality of NC K-12 education.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:44 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:

Are they building these schools where it's convenient for most lower income minorities to attend? If so I stand corrected but often times these school location are gerrymandered or hand-picked such that only select minorities will be able to attend or parents don't have the means/time to transport kids to the schools since it isn't serviced by a bus route. So the "lottery" is a farce and being open to the general public isn't at all the case.

Fact it, they're using public money to provide a quasi-private school experience for select kids which directly impacts the pool of available funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina