Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
LOL, NC isn't TOO stupid, they know those long-time teachers aren't going anywhere. However they can't hire any new teachers because nobody is stupid enough to go to college for 4 years to work for the state making $29k/year.

And frankly, those 30+year teachers are probably making $60k, so I don't feel as bad for them. The ones with 5-10 years experience making less than half that is who is getting the shaft. And now they don't even have the master's pay to fall back on either. Older teachers have had 30 years to get a masters. The young ones will never get that chance.
I feel the exact same way. Unions in my industry have voted down pay raises because the senior guys aren't happy with their $10/hr pay raise while making $120k/yr while the junior guys are stuck making $25k/yr and get a $2/hr pay raise. Same idea.

I actually back the Governor's position, give the lions' share of the raises to the people who need them most.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I feel the exact same way. Unions in my industry have voted down pay raises because the senior guys aren't happy with their $10/hr pay raise while making $120k/yr while the junior guys are stuck making $25k/yr and get a $2/hr pay raise. Same idea.

I actually back the Governor's position, give the lions' share of the raises to the people who need them most.

With overall teacher pay in our state ranked in the bottom 5 in the country, I'd say all teachers "need them most". We need to improve all teachers' pay so that 1) we can better compete with other states, and 2) we can attract and retain quality people. Proposing a raise only for less experienced teachers sends a clear message--"this is not a good career path because you'll get dumped on when you're older".

Old 05-26-2014, 02:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
I don't necessarily agree. Those inexperienced teachers SHOULD get pay raises as they gain experience (as they do now according to this: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...4schedules.pdf). It just makes the starting pay a little higher.

Obviously, teachers with 30 years in are going to be miffed if the young kids are getting a raise but nobody else is. However those teachers have had an opportunity to get their masters pay, and get their national board certification. If they're still sitting around with only a bachelor's degree after 30 years, they have nothing to complain about. From now on, nobody will earn extra pay for getting a master's or doctorate.

North Carolina still has a lot of work to do if they want teachers to even consider working in this state. Even with this mediocre pay raise for the "new kids", no experienced teacher is going to want to relocate to NC. Not to mention the massive dropoff of education majors at NC colleges and universities.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:47 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily agree. Those inexperienced teachers SHOULD get pay raises as they gain experience (as they do now according to this: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/docs/...4schedules.pdf). It just makes the starting pay a little higher.

Obviously, teachers with 30 years in are going to be miffed if the young kids are getting a raise but nobody else is. However those teachers have had an opportunity to get their masters pay, and get their national board certification. If they're still sitting around with only a bachelor's degree after 30 years, they have nothing to complain about. From now on, nobody will earn extra pay for getting a master's or doctorate.

North Carolina still has a lot of work to do if they want teachers to even consider working in this state. Even with this mediocre pay raise for the "new kids", no experienced teacher is going to want to relocate to NC. Not to mention the massive dropoff of education majors at NC colleges and universities.

You're saying that being in the bottom 5 states in teacher pay is "nothing to complain about"? Really???

Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
You're saying that being in the bottom 5 states in teacher pay is "nothing to complain about"? Really???
$60k+ is decent $$ in NC. The crux of the problem is initial pay. You can fix that quickly and easily and that would also bring up the average quite a bit. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck raising new hire pay say $10k over raising it say $5k and top out pay $5k. Just flatten the pay scale out.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:39 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
Quote:
What you're missing is that teachers have not received those steps for 5 years and it isn't clear at all that they will receive them this year either. That's why teachers with 0-5 all make the same salary. When you cross from 5 to 6, you don't get a raise, the scale just changes. That salary schedule is a lie. What it should say is number of years of service as of 2008. Everyone is stuck in time.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Oh, I know the pay still sucks. I saw an ad for a Houston, TX school district recruiting new NC teachers by offering them nearly $47k a year to start. That's over 50% more than what they'd make here. And that's just for a teacher fresh out of college with 0 experience.

I'm just saying the older teachers have advantages that the new ones won't have. They've had decades to get advanced degrees and tenure. The current crop of teachers will get no such luxury.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:21 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
If the money is available, then perhaps raises are in order for those that deserve them. When a state's economy is in the toilet monies can't be printed and doled out to the squeaking wheels. IMO raises does not fix our broken education system that we all are aware of. Raises do not raise the performance or passion within a person's persona. Raises do not make people smarter. Teaching careers are personal choices. If this is the career you choose, you already know the pay scales in our country. You know the facts. Find another career if you are not happy with the pay, or move to another state that pays more.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
If the money is available, then perhaps raises are in order for those that deserve them. When a state's economy is in the toilet monies can't be printed and doled out to the squeaking wheels. IMO raises does not fix our broken education system that we all are aware of. Raises do not raise the performance or passion within a person's persona. Raises do not make people smarter. Teaching careers are personal choices. If this is the career you choose, you already know the pay scales in our country. You know the facts. Find another career if you are not happy with the pay, or move to another state that pays more.
That's the problem Mike... Teachers ARE finding other careers, Teachers ARE moving to other states. And future teachers are taking themselves out of the equation from the starting line...

If you pay for the worst, you get the worst. Then your students don't understand things like verb/subject agreement (*snort*).

The education of the public is a tenet of civilized society. If we aren't getting better, we are getting worse... And make no mistake, NC is getting worse.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:50 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post

Unfortunately, a simple approach, seldom satisfices. You have confirmed this.

I started teaching in 2007, my third career. There had been pretty good pay raises and annual step increases up to that time. I knew the pay scales, I knew the steps. I also knew we got paid extra for high test scores. Which I could and did generate.

All that has gone away. No step increases, no more pay for superior results, and a single insulting 1% pay raise in 8 years.

I have a couple of retirements so I am not in financial trouble. I am behind where I anticipated, but don't cry for me. To me it is just the principle of watching blithering idiots run amok.

Yes, people knew the pay scales, and the pay scales have gone away. I, for instance am frozen in time, pay wise, since I started. Now people are voting with their feet. I try to discourage people from entering the profession. In fact I openly discourage it. But things won't change if a couple hundred leave, here and there, we need 1,000s and 1,000s to leave. Wages will keep the good teachers in state. That is basically economics, and those that can't leave, well that is not who I want teaching my kid. Or yours, either.

But I will agree with you on one thing. Most teachers would take a 10% cut, if we could eliminate the moronic shenanigans by those, all those, in Raleigh and at other education positions that are simply "overhead."

If principals could only "principal" and teachers could only "teach" you would see a lot less people leaving, even with the insulting wage, and a lot more learning taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina