Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I tried to follow the links through on the data. The researched used "home base of students data" . The data instructions say, "For in-state students, the home base is the N.C. county of their permanent home address." I would hazard a guess they are relying on self-reported student info so I'm not sure if that reflects where the students are from or not. Seems to me the students could be reporting their college address as their permanent address. The permanent address thing also brings to mind the voter registration fracas.

I can't actually find the data for freshmen. I see the data for the university populations as a whole and for that at UNC Orange county is the clear leader, but presumably older students would be more likely to put down a Chapel Hill address as their permanent address. I'd really like to see the data on where the freshmen came from — the high schools they attended and the counties they were in, but I can find that info.
Very nice post! I didn't even think of that. As of next year, my daughter's permanent address will be in Boone....not Wake Forest....and partially because the GOP tried to make it so hard for college kids to vote.....so that would really skew that statistic unless they really were just counting counting where they lived their senior year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 AM

277 posts, read 436,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Of course one large county could send more grads to any school than 5 - 10 smaller counties. What is surprising is how little pull ECU has west of 95 and Happy Appy, east of I77. A statement for sure! A bunch of homers going to those schools!
I went to an onslow county HS that sent more to App than any other school (in my class anyway, it constantly changes). The next two were ECU and Nc State tied, then Wilmington, Unc and Charlotte. A large amount of ECU and App's students come from the Piedmont and Metrolina, it's just not the biggest destination for students in those counties. Keep in mind Wake county could send 200 students to state, 199 to UNC, ECU, App, and Charlotte and the county would still say NC State.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Here is all five of those maps into one:

And the top destination for all public NC schools, not just the largest 5.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM

277 posts, read 436,372 times
Nice work bojo

Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I've been thinking about this (my daughter is a HS junior) and I've decided that none of this info is useful to.....just about anyone.

It just demonstrates that geography plays a part. Most of us understand that if we have a choice between App and ECU and Greensboro, the quality of education might not vary that much, but the amount of time we have to spend in the Family Truckster driving the kid home for the weekend is probably going to factor in.

I'm sure all those colleges could tell you how many of their students live on campus v. off.

And It shows that UNC CHapel Hill is more competitive. We already knew that also.

Kids sometimes pick schools based on their major. For example, if your teen is going to be a social worker, they'll pick a school with a social work program. Some colleges won't choose to offer that major if a nearby school already offers it. So that will eliminate certain campuses from your list right away.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I've been thinking about this (my daughter is a HS junior) and I've decided that none of this info is useful to.....just about anyone.

It just demonstrates that geography plays a part. Most of us understand that if we have a choice between App and ECU and Greensboro, the quality of education might not vary that much, but the amount of time we have to spend in the Family Truckster driving the kid home for the weekend is probably going to factor in.

I'm sure all those colleges could tell you how many of their students live on campus v. off.

And It shows that UNC CHapel Hill is more competitive. We already knew that also.

Kids sometimes pick schools based on their major. For example, if your teen is going to be a social worker, they'll pick a school with a social work program. Some colleges won't choose to offer that major if a nearby school already offers it. So that will eliminate certain campuses from your list right away.
Mom, this may be heartbreaking, but bad news gets no better with age. Once at college your daughter will not want to come home every weekend. Sorry.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,575 times
Quote:
Mom, this may be heartbreaking, but bad news gets no better with age. Once at college your daughter will not want to come home every weekend. Sorry.
Yep. I saw my parents about every two months when I was at ECU. Of course, I was working and going to class, so I had little free time.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Sorry, charlie, the rule in my family is that no one comes home until Thanksgiving. AND if you choose to go to school in your hometown for some reason, you still have to live in the dorm.

My daughter is going to major in theater, so she'll never come home. It's her motto.....I can't__________, I have rehearsal.

I remember how annoyed I was with my brother when we had to drive to Chapel Hill (from Fayetteville) to pick him up (no place for freshmen to park in CH at that time) or because he was in a concert or something.

Regardless of how often they come home gas mileage is important!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I tried to follow the links through on the data. The researched used "home base of students data" . The data instructions say, "For in-state students, the home base is the N.C. county of their permanent home address." I would hazard a guess they are relying on self-reported student info so I'm not sure if that reflects where the students are from or not. Seems to me the students could be reporting their college address as their permanent address. The permanent address thing also brings to mind the voter registration fracas.

I can't actually find the data for freshmen. I see the data for the university populations as a whole and for that at UNC Orange county is the clear leader, but presumably older students would be more likely to put down a Chapel Hill address as their permanent address. I'd really like to see the data on where the freshmen came from — the high schools they attended and the counties they were in, but I can find that info.
Or it could just be that State's mission as a land grant institution means that they have programs that are relevant to more counties and their local economies.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
I'm not at all surprised about ECU and Appalachian, which tend to be schools people go to if they live in that part of the state, even if they might have gotten into one of the more reputable schools such as NC State or UNC.

No surprise that Durham and Orange counties choose UNC, since most of the professors probably live in one of them. I would bet Wake is close on the heels, even if NCSU technically "wins" Wake. I know that Wake is the county with the most ALUMNI of UNC, according to the UNC GAA.

I too wish it showed a little deeper data than just the "most popular" for each county--but it's still interesting.

I remember how annoyed I was with my brother when we had to drive to Chapel Hill (from Fayetteville) to pick him up (no place for freshmen to park in CH at that time)

For a long time, Freshmen were forbidden to have cars on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina