Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM

363 posts, read 445,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Agreed NavySeal77.

And, while I agree with the other poster who wrote that people murder people everywhere... I'm not sure I agree that school shootings ... children murdering their unarmed classmates is anywhere NEAR normal, nor should be tolerated.

I think what's itching at me is our culture. The way it's changed. The way we've allowed it to change. The way it's changed us.

That part makes it a National problem.
But perhaps so is the meanness that comes out of all that dysfunction and loony jealousy... insecure back-biting that SEEKS to **** others off.

I've been asking younger people ... the age range who most often get shot, and most don't feel there's an extraordinary level of gun violence going on. But, a couple did.. and they connected it to living in the type of small towns where, "there's nothing to do" and people just eat at each other. This, I can understand.

[Even though yesterday a gunman opened fire on two men in front of the courthouse in Nashville, North Carolina wounding two. Sheriff: 2 Shot at NC Courthouse, Gunman Caught - ABC News ]

Perhaps it's my age. I'm 61 and the world I grew up in was very different than this one.
  • No one would THINK of carrying a pistol to a party.
  • The "Bully" phenomena was not as huge as it is today.
  • Regardless of how bad the job was, the vast majority of people who wanted to work could find a job... and you were valued in the community for going to work everyday--not sitting around waiting to steal something out of your neighbor's house. (AND THIS.. "Thug culture thing CAN be linked back to what the 6 .. SIX.. corporations that own and control ALL the media has done to "music" since 1980... and the affects are seen not just in black disaffected youth in the hood, but in board rooms, middle-class white suburbs, barrios, college campuses where date rape has escalated, the military--where active gang members are now in the ranks... and where our noble young women are getting raped at alarming ... UNACCEPTABLE .. rates... )

I think what I'm trying to get at is.. the violence isn't just gun violence.
NavySeal77 hit on it.
Generations of trauma ... and the way that dysfunctional people and families of any socio-economic level can tear others down. "Hurt people, HURT people."

And it's not just men.
  • Unhappy women can be vicious with their lying gossip.
  • That negativity turns into something.
  • The violence is also felt in the harsh and almost mentally ill attitudes Hate Radio creates in people.
  • I see ADULTS encouraging their children to disrespect other adults.. a truly cowardly act that does great damage to children in ways we see later in their lives when they can't get off drugs, maintain jobs, or maintain healthy relationships.
  • People personalizing things that aren't even their business!

Not only do I think we can do better.. it's pretty darn clear we HAVE to start doing better.

Using politics as a "sport" were we think "our side has to beat there's" is a big part of the problem.
The super rich play with people's emotions and the decline in quality of life can be seen throughout the nation. It just isn't working. 30 years of this has cost us dearly.

Regardless if you're Democrat or Republican or whatever.. Green Party. We as the American public have to grow up past our dysfunctions and traumas, and mean-spirited isolations and vote not with bigotry, greed, or selfishness... because it AIN'T WORKING.. and begin putting in the type of people our parents and grandparents put in office. (Um... ah .. the good ones that is...)

We need to begin getting back to some integrity for all.
Maybe that's being old... but how much more of our current path can we take? It's only going to get worse unless we the people begin demanding that all this ... what... corruption and manipulation the ultra rich are doing abates. It will never stop... but throughout history, whenever large groups of people demand the money brokers cease, they always back off. They give a dollar to take three... but at least for a time, they stop taking everything they can. Quality of life... not politics ... quality of life.

Rate Of U.S. Gun Violence Has Fallen Since 1993, Study Says : The Two-Way : NPR

Statistics would show gun violence is decreasing. So maybe the "good-ole days" weren't really the good ole days?

What has changed over time is media coverage. Now anything that happens is in your face 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The NRA has pushed the idea that more guns will cut down on gun violence, kind of like more fire will put out a house fire.
That is a silly analogy.

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the USA. Yet it has a huge amount of gun crime. The results speak for themselves.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That is a silly analogy.

Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the USA. Yet it has a huge amount of gun crime. The results speak for themselves.
Fayetteville has plenty of gun crime and also plenty of legal gun owners so legal gun ownership has not stopped gun violence there.

Stop with the nonsensical posts.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Recently I've been hearing that North Carolina has one of the highest rates of gun violence in the nation.
WhY?

I can understand urban gun violence of the sort when people live on top of each other in over-crowded cities... but North Carolina has TONS of space. It's one of the greenest states in the union. Right now, the fall foliege is stunning.

And it's more than, "Durham" ....
(I kept hearing about how dangerous Durham was, so I asked a police dispatcher about it. She said it was a lot of hype ... real estate hype mostly. There was crime, but it's mostly "crimes of opportunity" ... like someone leaving something out where it can be stolen or picked up quickly.)

And the gun violence is statewide... so apparently it's cultural.
What is it about the culture that makes this such a gun happy state?
Maybe you have lots of criminal types.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM

62 posts, read 79,377 times
All the gun incidents that happen around the area I live have one thing in common. Drugs. A few of the downtown area issues the police say were gang related. I can't say I'm street savy in this town but I haven't heard anyone talk about gangs or issues with gangs so I have no idea. I do see occasional sketchy people hanging around darkish areas.....assume drug related things happening but again... no idea. I do know of a couple drug houses that get busted like once a month. There is usually one gun event every 6 months there or so.... no doubt related to their method of making money to get by.

Crime is relative. You hear a lot about it in the news but not always the reasons for it. Many times it is drug related or people who know each other fighting over materials. I can't say I've seen news of someone getting killed for a random event. It is generally the result of life long disputes and or drugs. Times are tough so more people are turning to drugs for escape, unfortunately those cause more issues than you started with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina